Genii March 2012: Rendez-vous in Lugano - Addendum

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Giorgio

Genii March 2012: Rendez-vous in Lugano - Addendum

Postby Giorgio » February 19th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Hi everybody,

I hope you liked my effect Rendez-vous in Lugano in the latest issue.

The write up states that the way to change the number of cards that can be cut off is described later. Unfortunately, that section was not included in the published version. I am posting it here, so that Richard and David may decide to included it in a future issue to provide a complete description. Also, I have included a nifty new handling of the prediction and an alternative way to show the cards.

When you are showing the cards to the spectator, be sure that you clearly raise the right hand packet up when you tell her the corresponding number. The card on the face of the left hand packet (the prior one) should not be visible to avoid confusion about which card is which. I usually keep this packet almost horizontal to the floor.

If you find it difficult to draw the cards from the right packet and holding them in the left hand neatly (it becomes pretty easy with some minor practice), you could always show the cards face up (in this case you would be able to also see the cards which, I believe, somehow detracts from the effect). Just turn the packet face up in your left hand. Draw each card in your right hand, thus reversing the order while counting them. This handling is also a bit quicker, yet I still believe that the original is better because you never look at the possible choices.

If you are too lazy to remember 25th card, 20 cards shown, 30 cards countdown. You can simplify it by showing (and reversing) 25 cards. In this case the card will end up in the 25th position. Therefore you only have to remember one number (25) for the whole effect. This also gives you a 25-card leeway for the spectator's cut. The final position of the card can be easily modified by showing more or less cards. For every card more than 20 you show, the final position will be one card less (show 21 get position 29, show 22 get position 28 and so on).

Since the original submission of this effect to Genii, I have often switched to performing the following version that omits the paper prediction. It is a cleaner prediction, but you have to be willing to write on one card. Also, you need to have a joker in the deck to make a 53-card deck.
Remember the 26th card from the face instead of the 25th card. Remove its mate from the upper portion (to the left of the 26th card). If the card is in the lower portion, use the ruse described before to move one indifferent card to the lower portion. Write 30 on the face of the mate and table it as your prediction.

Phil Pearce

Re: Genii March 2012: Rendez-vous in Lugano - Addendum

Postby Phil Pearce » February 22nd, 2012, 5:21 pm

I really like this effect, for its use of the Principle, as well as the startling effect it has on laymen, without too much counting. And it's easy to do, thanks in part to your lucid explanation.
Nice job, Giorgio.

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
Roald Dahl

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » February 22nd, 2012, 10:51 pm

Thanks Phil,

I do appreciate the feedback!

Giorgio

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » February 24th, 2012, 8:00 am

Please be aware of a small, but important typo. If you use the second method (the mate as a prediction). It will be the 32nd card not the 30th. Write 32 on the card instead.

Sorry about that.

Return to “General”