Card Production in "Daredevil"

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Card Production in "Daredevil"

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 20th, 2003, 9:25 pm

Unless I've missed the post, no one has mentioned that Bullseye, the psycho-nutcase killer character in the new flick "Daredevil" (excellent, in my opinion) produces an Ace of Spades from back palm, the flicks it through the air and cuts the throat of one of the major characters! Murder by pasteboard manipulation!
Hasn't anyone else seen this?
And I'll kick your butt right off the forum if you mention the name of the character whose throat gets slit!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: Card Production in "Daredevil"

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2003, 6:16 am

Rumor has it, that he uses a "shim", secretly inserted in the card, in order to penetrate the pachydermis person.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 21st, 2003, 8:48 am

Does Ricky Jay get a credit?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2003, 10:42 am

In Carter Beats the Devil, Carter's nemesis kills an unscrupulous theater owner with 52 paper cuts.

In an episode of "The Magician" (possibly the pilot), Bill Bixby is trapped by some bad guys. He produces a candle, then sets it near a gas line. Then he produces a playing card and throws it, severing the gas line and causing a jet of flame, which allows his escape.

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » February 21st, 2003, 11:39 am

I heard that Colin Farrell (Bullseye) has had some previous training in sleight of hand.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2003, 8:02 pm

It didn't appear to me that it was in a backpalm position, more of a backclip. He might have even used a gimmick of some sort, like the old cigarette "catcher". Which, contrary to rumor, would be indicative of little to no previous training in card manipulation.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 23rd, 2003, 8:34 pm

I think that magicians who see this movie are going recognize Bullseye's backpalm maneuver. For all we know Eric, he may have utilized some gimmick to feign skill. For a moment, I thought he was going to do the Roy Benson move, because his hands were in the prayer position right before the card appeared.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2003, 2:10 am

In an episode of "Jonathan Creek", Jonathan gets his hands on a copy of "Cards as Weapons". Under gunpoint he backpalms a card then throws it in the face of the crook (he was aiming for his balls though).

If you have not seen any episode of "Jonathan Creek" I strongly suggest that you try to hunt them down for some of the best locked room murder mysteries ever. I bought some episodes from Amazon. The main character Jonathan Creek is also an illusion designer for a magician, which is just an added bonus for us.

/Tomas

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 24th, 2003, 9:18 am

Hi Tomas, what the heck is "Jonathan Creek?"

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2003, 2:52 pm

Richard,

Jonathan Creek as Tomas says is a UK TV Show written by one of my favourite TV writers David Renwick who also wrote the UK TV Series 'One Foot in the Grave'.

Basically Jonathan Creek played by Alan Davies, helps a journalist investigate locked room mysteries, he also invents tricks for a magician.

It ran for three seasons and two christmas specials, this is a good fan site:
Jonathan Creek

Rich.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2003, 6:46 pm

One of my favorite comic book heroes continues to be Gambit from X-Men. This guy throws cards as his power/weapon. How cool is that? ;)

Jon

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 24th, 2003, 10:33 pm

Am I the only one that remembers a comic book character named "The Sniffer?"

He was great... he would be walking along and suddenly "sniff, sniff" -- "Hey, I smell a bank being robbed at 34 Main street." And off he'd go.

:p
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2003, 11:16 pm

Getting farther away from magic . . .

The best super hero ever was "Ear Fall Off Floyd".
His super power was that he could make his ear fall off, repeatedly, AT WILL!

Runners up were Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman; and Too Much Coffee Man.

Chris Bruce

Postby Chris Bruce » March 27th, 2003, 5:50 pm

The magic consultant for the Daredevil movie was Thomas Baxter.

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2003, 2:49 pm

Hi Tomas, what the heck is "Jonathan Creek?"
Jonathan Creek is a GREAT series. My girlfriend likes it and she hates magic! (don't they all)

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 29th, 2003, 8:08 am

The Jonathan Creek series airs in the US on the BBC America channel on cable. It's quite good, but not really much real magic.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2005, 6:54 pm

Having just bought the dierectors cut of Daredevil, I also noticed a scene in which Colin Farrell produces a pen in the airport and apparently does a spellbound change to turn a regular paperclip into an unwound one. I also recall hearing on the commentary that Colin Farrell did take lessons froma magician in preparation for the film.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2005, 11:07 am

That particular scene pleased me more as comic fan then a magician. For anyone who's read the comics then chances are that by just the mention of the card used to slit the throat you probably know who is being 'killed' ;)

Don't worry I won't say.

As for the spellbound paper clip scene in the bar I was disapointed because the put a cut in there. It killed the illusion, and I don't mean the magical one but the movie illusion of what he was doing, at least to me, but I'm picky when it comes to film, magic, and comics, put them all in one, well. . . hehe

By the way I loved this film and if you didn't like it I would suggest you rent and watch the directors cut as it actually has a lot more of a sense making plot. A large portion of the movie that helps it to make sense was cut at the request of the producers who just wanted a quick action film. They just didn't think that plot holes still exist in action flicks too. Oh well, as I said the DC helps alot. Very good.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Speaking as another comics fan who saw this movie, I'll say

1) Colin's Bullseye is the best thing about the movie. Period.

2) The rest of it, IMHO, fell drastically short if you've spent anytime with the really good writers on the title (Frank Miller, Kevin Smith, etc.)

-Tony

Postby Guest » February 4th, 2005, 6:20 pm

Thats all the more reason to watch the directors cut. You even see his mother. Only fans will probably catch it though, ;)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 5th, 2005, 5:52 am

I thought the director's cut of Daredevil was great. Enjoyed it immensely.
The only downside was less of Jennifer Garner, which is a DOUBLE JUMBO BUMMER.

Postby Guest » February 27th, 2005, 11:35 pm

Daredevil had one of the best opening title sequences I've ever seen!

After that, it was a disaster. The writing was terrible and the plotting had holes big enough for Houdini to walk an elephant through. The opening courtroom scene made me cringe in embarassment.

Loved the Evanescence music, though.

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2005, 10:50 am

Again, for writing and plot holes I refer you to the directors cut, everything makes a lot more sense.

The director (Mark Steven Johnson) was forced by the producers to cut out a lot of the story elements as they wanted an hour and a half action flick, where as he made a near two hour story film with action in it.

The worst part is that if the producers knew anything about the source material, DD was always the one book that was more story focused and dark. Matt Murdock was allways unlucky in love and life and yet he saught justice through what ever means he could. To reduce that to a simple action flick is sad.

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2005, 9:05 am

Comic book fans will want the Director's Cut of Daredevil because it much more closely captures the writing/plotting style of the comic.

Movie fans will appreciate it, too, because the huge plot holes are mostly filled by the missing half hour that got cut out of the film.

Jon

Chris Marshall

Postby Chris Marshall » June 25th, 2005, 2:16 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Am I the only one that remembers a comic book character named "The Sniffer?"

:p
Did this Sniffer happen to have a "Little Smeller" (an old Magic Inc item) in his arsenal of weapons?

Chris Marshall

Postby Chris Marshall » June 27th, 2005, 11:00 am

This might be the subject for another thread, but what other common magic tricks could be used as part of a comc hero's arsenal?

How about "Ambitious Man" who stupifies his prey with countless variations of Ambitious Card.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 11:14 am

Originally posted by Chris Marshall:
This might be the subject for another thread, but what other common magic tricks could be used as part of a comc hero's arsenal?

How about "Ambitious Man" who stupefies his prey with countless variations of Ambitious Card.
There is a "hero" who wears a trench coat and throws cards.

There are several heroes who leave calling cards.

As to "common magic tricks"... probably better to start this process by reading comics and picking what you want to present.

Chris Marshall

Postby Chris Marshall » June 27th, 2005, 11:39 am

Thanks Jon, I'll get on that right away.

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2005, 11:24 pm

There is a "hero" who wears a trench coat and throws cards.
That would be Gambit, one of the X-Men.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » July 21st, 2005, 6:27 pm

... speaking of comics and Frank Miller, don't miss Sin City ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Return to “General”