Genii is Shortly Going to Publish a New Book ...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Frank Yuen

Re: Genii is Shortly Going to Publish a New Book ...

Postby Frank Yuen » May 13th, 2011, 1:55 am

Jules Lenier's Talisman is my guess. I haven't looked at my back issues in a long time but if I remember correctly each issue was about 8 pages which would make the page count around 600.

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » May 13th, 2011, 9:41 am

Frank Yuen wrote:Jules Lenier's Talisman is my guess. I haven't looked at my back issues in a long time but if I remember correctly each issue was about 8 pages which would make the page count around 600.

That's a good guess. And it's one magazine that I'd love to see back in print since there was some great material to be found in those pages. Well, Richard, did Frank guess correctly?

Jeremy

Joe McIntyre

Postby Joe McIntyre » May 13th, 2011, 9:48 am

Richard's Almanac?

Richard's Almanac?

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 13th, 2011, 9:49 am

I read somewhere that Jeff Busby published the last few issues of the Talisman. :)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 13th, 2011, 9:51 am

Joe McIntyre wrote:Richard's Almanac?

Wasn't that already done as "The Collected Almanac"?
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 13th, 2011, 9:52 am

Jeremy Greystoke wrote:
Frank Yuen wrote:Jules Lenier's Talisman is my guess. I haven't looked at my back issues in a long time but if I remember correctly each issue was about 8 pages which would make the page count around 600.

That's a good guess. And it's one magazine that I'd love to see back in print since there was some great material to be found in those pages. Well, Richard, did Frank guess correctly?

Jeremy

*ahem* I have the first 12 issues available in a lovely hardbound form. *ahem*

:)

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 13th, 2011, 9:58 am

It's:

"Busby: The Love Years"

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 13th, 2011, 10:15 am

Maybe it's not a magic magazine at all. Maybe it's Cat Fancy. Does anyone know if Richard fancies cats?

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » May 13th, 2011, 10:18 am

I'm probably the undisputed king of being a subscriber to failed magazines - Epoptica, Hierophant, PCjr, US News and Word and many more, but the Talisman was the worst. I received 2 of my 52 issue subscription before it died an untimely and unrefunded death.

It was, however, my sole magic contribution to a periodical - a minor variation on One Eyed Jack Sandwich.

It would a a welcome reprint.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2011, 10:50 am

Frank Yuen is correct: Talisman it is!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2011, 10:52 am

540 plus the index for issues 1 to 26 as originally issued.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 13th, 2011, 11:26 am

For those of us who haven't experienced Talisman, how would you characterize the magazine? Content, tone, editorial personality/style?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2011, 12:09 pm

The plain vanilla look of Talisman belies what it contains, which is a snapshot of magic in the Magic Castle area in 1970/71. Kind of like the way Richard's Almanac is a snapshot of magic in the early 1980s, this is somewhat similar, but more targeted to what was happening around the Magic Castle. There are lots of tricks from Bruce Cervon, Ron Wilson, Jules Lenier, Charlie Miller, and many others.

I chose it because not only does it contain a lot of good magic, but because Lenier was a very good editor and an enjoyable writer. I think that for $15 it's a killer deal.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 13th, 2011, 12:37 pm

(NOTE: Richard beat me to this answer, so I apologize for any redundancy)

I think Talisman can be best be described as providing a slice of the LA Magic scene of the early 1970's, centered primarily on the Magic Castle.

It was designed as a weekly magazine, with about 8 pages an issue--the pages of most of the issues was an unusual size (7 x 10). Each issue usually featured at least 1 to 3 tricks (mostly close-up cards and coins, with a sampling of mentalism), a fair bit of editorial commentary, the ocasional review, and some cartoons and ads. The contributors are some of the same folks you see referenced in Genii Magazine of that era as well as The Cervon Notebooks: Ron Wilson, Francis Carlyle, Michael Skinner, Martin Lewis, Bruce Cervon, Jules Lenier, Gerald Kosky, and the rest of the usual suspects. Staff Artists included Roger Rittner and a young Steve Spillman.

In terms of tone, it can be seen in the "The Lair" column of the first editor Jules Lenier and in the later writings of Jerry Blount after Lenier left. They are very much like Charlie Miller's commentaries that were part of Magicana in Genii. The editorials usually were composed of multiple short unrelated paragraphs expressing opinions on varous current magic happenings and often reads like a travelogue. As with many of the editorials of this era, if you don't know the players involved not everything written will make immediate sense, but it's fun to follow the trains of throught throughout the run. Of course, the usual "Magic is dead!" comments appear, and it's not surprising to see that they were struggling in the 1970's with many of the same issues we face today. For example, Blount's comment that "...Now the implication of the critics is that The Magic Castle is too weak to withstand honest critizism (sic)..." demonstrates things haven't changed all that much. For the most part, the tone of the journal is very matter of fact and honest without a "scorched earth" or "Look at me!" approach.

All in all, it's a fun, productive read. While some of the material has seen print in other places, there are a lot of hidden gems here (Carlyle's take on OOTW comes to mind). However, I think The Talisman's primary charm to me is being able to read and imagine what those legendary Castle nights were like back in the day. I applaud Richard for making this available, and I'm looking forward to it.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » May 13th, 2011, 2:36 pm

As far as subscription renewal, you had me at iGenii! Getting the Talisman is more than just icing on the cake - it's a whole extra cake!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 13th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Hey Bob,

I dont know if it will be the case here, but with past offers, Richard has allowed those who extend their subscription to three years (versus one) to purchase the special! Maybe the Chief Genii can verify.

Im JAZZED that its Talisman. I have none and have wanted always them.

Dustin

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 13th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:Hey Bob,

I dont know if it will be the case here, but with past offers, Richard has allowed those who extend their subscription to three years (versus one) to purchase the special! Maybe the Chief Genii can verify.

Im JAZZED that its Talisman. I have none and have wanted always them.

Dustin

It's already been verified:
Genii is publishing a new book, 600 pages, which will be available for $70, or for only $15 (plus postage) to those who subscribe for three years or bring the level of their existing subscription up to three years. This is exactly the same thing we have done in the past with "100 by Warlock," "The Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard," and "The Vernon Touch."

I don't suppose you'd be interested in the issues I have available, would ya, Dustin? ;) (I think this thread probably kills any hope I had in selling those...)

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Ted M

Postby Ted M » May 13th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Sweetness.

And the expected publication date even coincides with my Genii renewal time. I'll happily be renewing for three years!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 13th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:I don't suppose you'd be interested in the issues I have available, would ya, Dustin? ;) (I think this thread probably kills any hope I had in selling those...)-Jim

Alas, if you only had them all...(particulary bound as they are).
BTW: Your link above actually goes to an eBay auction of Magic by Caveney & Steinmeyer and not your Google list.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 13th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:Alas, if you only had them all...(particulary bound as they are).
BTW: Your link above actually goes to an eBay auction of Magic by Caveney & Steinmeyer and not your Google list.

Never know what else might turn up! (Though I don't think I have any more that are bound...)

And thanks for pointing out the link...that's what I get for making other people's posts look nicer!

-Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2011, 3:31 pm

As Dustin notes, you can indeed (if you already subscribe) add on to your existing subscription to bring it up to a total length of three years and you will be able to purchase Talisman for $15.

Our book will contain all issues of Talisman published.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 13th, 2011, 6:25 pm

What about Cat Fancy?

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » May 13th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Perfect timing! My subscription expires in November, so I'm due for renewal anyway. Count me in!

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » May 15th, 2011, 8:46 am

If Jules has his telephone trick in the Talisman,it is worth $40 bucks just for that effect. Jules was a genious in my opinion.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 17th, 2011, 6:39 pm

There is no option yet because the book isn't ready. But call the office and Margret will take care of it.

Josh Mandel
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Josh Mandel » August 1st, 2011, 7:14 pm

Hey, Richard,

How's the Talisman book coming along? And will you autograph my copy?

Best regards,
Josh

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2011, 7:58 pm

I just proofed a digital print-out today from the printer, so it's coming along. It took a bit longer than I expected to get to this point because I'm using a NEW printer. Another 2 to 3 weeks to ship.
Sorry, Josh, can't sign any copies: they are all printed and shipped from Michigan.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 22nd, 2011, 4:19 pm

Saw my advance copy of the finished Talisman today and it looks very nice. The books should be hitting the warehouse tomorrow and get shipped out to those who've ordered it (and all Lifetime Subscribers) by the end of the week.

Nickle

Postby Nickle » August 23rd, 2011, 10:28 pm

Two books released in one year. You've been busy!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2011, 11:02 pm

Yes, TOO busy.

Just today Bill Mullins found a new photograph of DeLand, entirely unknown to me. Something important for that book.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » August 24th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Looking forward to the Talisman.

How is Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy coming along?

Any chance it will be out this year? I do not want to miss out on pre-ordering the signed limited edition.

Thank you.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2011, 3:31 pm

I doubt Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy will be out this year. It's almost a quarter of a million words, so just doing a thorough re-read and edit will take several months. Then there are the photos, and then the layout (damn enormous book). I will announce the availability of the special edition here and on Facebook and the date when we'll start selling them. I have 100 signed pages from Larry, so there will be 100 deluxe editions. But I won't sell the deluxes so far in advance this time. I had to do that with the Berglas book because the obligation is what propelled us over the finish line.

What did the folks who purchased the deluxe Berglas book think of the printed slipcase and black linen cloth? This is different than what I used to do, and more expensive. The slipcases cost much more to produce than the books!

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » August 24th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:What did the folks who purchased the deluxe Berglas book think of the printed slipcase and black linen cloth? This is different than what I used to do, and more expensive. The slipcases cost much more to produce than the books!

I found the printed slipcase wonderful as it will protect my book better than just lying on my bookshelf and the black linen cloth elegant.

However, the appeal for me at the time that I placed my pre-order was Davids signature and the apparent value of the unannounced exclusive additional items. If I'm not mistaken, the Berglas Limited edition was almost $200 or $225 more than the regular edition. I am not sure I would pay the same premium again for the Jennings book.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2011, 7:04 pm

In the past, before Berglas (BB) my deluxe editions were always double the price of the regular editions.

With Berglas, most people would have little chance of having their book autographed, and we were also able to include the envelope with seven items of memorabilia, so I felt that those things made the deluxe edition worth more. The fact that they sold out so quickly means the price was right--that is, not too high. If the price was too high, they would still be sitting here.

The deluxe edition of Jennings will not be as expensive as the Berglas deluxe, even though it's the only way you can have Jennings' autograph in the book. And unlike all the pages that Vernon signed for L&L Publishing, which have no indication of what book they're for, all the signed Jennings pages have the title of the book on them.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » August 25th, 2011, 12:34 am

Do you likewise have a file stuffed with 100 signed title pages for Mr Jennings Takes It Tough?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2011, 10:41 am

Yes I do. When Jennings was sick, I asked him if he minded signing the 300 pages for the deluxe editions of all three books in the planned trilogy and he was delighted to sign them. I think he knew that he wasn't going to make it too much longer.

Return to “General”