I am bored stiff!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Townsend

Re: I am bored stiff!

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 11th, 2009, 6:00 pm

You are Socrates to my Plato.

um... so how do you separate the students from the teachers?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 11th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Easy. I am the teacher and James is a student who thinks he has overtaken the master. It all reminds me of my brother's school report card where it said "Howard would do far better if he didn't try to teach the teacher"

Mind you Howard went on to become a millionaire while I ended up wasting time on the bloody Genii forum arguing with James Munton.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 11th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Bloody well tempted is right.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 11th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Quite right. I think you should ban him unless he spills the beans about his blue and gold e-mails. His only use here is if he can tell us how to make pots of money without trying to make us pay for his very expensive marketing course.

I have just seen the other very expensive marketing course advertised on here. It sounds far better than the Munton one which hasn't even been put together yet. I wonder what James thinks of it or at least what he thinks it MIGHT be like. I am talking about the Lou Serrano one.

Everyone seems to know how to make money out of magic except me. I have made the occasional fortune with the svengali deck but I don't consider the svengali deck to be really magic.

The only use for Munton is if he tells us all how to become rich and still have plenty of time to annoy people on the Genii Forum.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » November 11th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Mother,

You will not get any of my precious marketing secrets. Jolly Roger will get it all.

Your manipulation of poor Richard is outrageous. Because of all your whining to him in private emails he has spent a ridiculous amount of time editing and deleting my harmless posts.

As for the Serrano course, I haven't seen it. However, if Mr. Serrano would like to send me a complimentary copy of his course to review I will happily give it a glowing endorsement.

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 11th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I am now going to try again to answer Walter and hope that what I say doesn't disappear again. He asked about Osterlind and the 13 steps to Mentalism.

Normally I utterly detest classic books being turned into DVDs but in Osterlind's case I shall make an exception.

In the usual run of things I think there is something disgraceful about making money out of dead authors without their permission. Cashing in on other people's labour is a very disreputable business as far as I am concerned not to say disrespectful. I can just imagine what Harry Lorayne would have to say from the spirit world if he found out that someone had made a DVD of his books after he had passed on. Methinks he would find some way of coming back to earth to snarl at whoever the perpetrator was and well would he deserve to be snarled at.

My other objection to this kind of thing is that on the few odd occasions I have seen excerpts from these DVDs the presenter has always been bloody awful and has not represented the material properly or how the author would have wanted it.

Osterlind is an exception to my irritation because I understand he got permission from Corinda (whom I worked for at one point)
and not only that I think he would be a very competent person to teach the material. Anything he says about mentalism is worth listening to. And his creativity is excellent.

Although it isn't mentalism I use his excellent method of the torn and restored newspaper all the time but have adapted it to my own requirements and probably made it even better. I am MARK LEWIS after all.

So my answer to Silly Walter is yes. I do believe it will be an excellent resource for mentalists. I could be wrong since I haven't seen any of it but I would be surprised if the product was disappointing.

I shall answer Walter's question about the business card thing and the Marshall Brodien matter later.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 11th, 2009, 10:16 pm

James. I have hardly mentioned you in my very few messages to Richard. I am afraid paranoia is a most dreadful ailment.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 12th, 2009, 12:11 am

James Munton wrote:As for this bloody marketing course, it is indeed a royal pain. After I agreed to lecture at the Kidvention I realized I needed something to sell so I started telling people about this marketing course that I have written yet.

And I really should spend more time working on it instead of posting here - especially since my posts end up getting deleted anyway.

Tomorrow morning I have a library showcase and shows in the afternoon and evening, so you'll have some time to catch up on your sleep tomorrow. I've never marketed to libraries before, but last year I discovered the ones in Texas actually have a decent budget. Plus, I'm hoping to put Todd McKinney out of business.

James

Goodness me. Your library showcases are early. They are not until February in Phoenix.

I would love to know how you plan on putting Todd out of business. He actually called me today, as he wants to review some of my products in the Kidabra journal. Ofcourse, what he is really after is a free-be!! We talked about Julian Franklin, who also works the Texas area, and recently bought 3 of my wonderful Ridiculous Raviolis. Todd told me that it is probably because he has three people working for him doing school shows. I find that amazing. Is there that much work in Texas that he can clone himself? I may move there, and clean up if that is the case.

By the way, James, thank you so much for making me the winner of the yet unwritten highly expensive marketing manuscript. I look forward to reading it enormously. JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 7:34 am

Roger. I hear that you are going to be invited to write about marketing children's show yourself in a leading magic magazine. You hardly need Munton's shoddy product that isn't even produced yet and that he doesn't want to give to me in exchange for my very expensive psychic course.

I bet you haven't received the invitation yet. No doubt the editor has thought better of it and asked Munton to do it instead because he seems to be more qualified even though you and I know he isn't.

I am sure I could get the job but I don't like the pay. It is nothing whatsoever. I think James should get the job because it is paying what he is worth.

I shall now give my marketing course in one sentence. "It ain't what you know but who you know"

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 12th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:Roger. I hear that you are going to be invited to write about marketing children's show yourself in a leading magic magazine.

Now you've let the cat out of the bag! More will be revealed shortly. Hold on to your seats..................JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Good! I was wondering if the invitation had yet been extended. It sounds like it has. I hope you enjoy working for no money. Of course you will get a book out of it when enough time has elapsed. I should ask them for space to advertise your irritating ravioli products.

But back to the Fogel method. I want to post some photographs of a hypnosis show I did in the Summer where there was virtually nobody in the audience. The Fogel method (or should I say attitude) stood me in very good stead there. It had been raining and the place was empty. It would have been very tempting to refuse to go on but if I did so my paycheque may or may not have been in jeapordy. However the Fogel method saw me through.

I can't figure out how to post the pictures from the busker's site to over here though. I can't follow the instructions given on the other thread about photographs. How do I do it? I only want to post the first picture for now so people can see how challenging it was.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 12th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:I can't figure out how to post the pictures from the busker's site to over here though. I can't follow the instructions given on the other thread about photographs. How do I do it? I only want to post the first picture for now so people can see how challenging it was.

Rev Lewis

If you email me a link to the web page with the pic on, I will post it here for you.

You can email me at damian AT damianjennings DOT com or send me a private message here.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » November 12th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:Good! I was wondering if the invitation had yet been extended. It sounds like it has. I hope you enjoy working for no money. Of course you will get a book out of it when enough time has elapsed. I should ask them for space to advertise your irritating ravioli products.

But back to the Fogel method. I want to post some photographs of a hypnosis show I did in the Summer where there was virtually nobody in the audience. The Fogel method (or should I say attitude) stood me in very good stead there. It had been raining and the place was empty. It would have been very tempting to refuse to go on but if I did so my paycheque may or may not have been in jeapordy. However the Fogel method saw me through.

I can't figure out how to post the pictures from the busker's site to over here though. I can't follow the instructions given on the other thread about photographs. How do I do it? I only want to post the first picture for now so people can see how challenging it was.

That leads onto another question Mark. Working small audiences with a hypnotic show is "VERY" challenging. How do you get the helpers up - and work with them when audiences are small?

I hope you answer part of this question when you post the pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 2:58 pm

The above incident was for a show at an outdoor festival and I knew from my experience at these events that the crowd had a chance of getting bigger if I had the nerve and the patience.

As for small audiences it depends on what you mean by small. If there are only say 40 people I would have fewer chairs on stage and take things slowly in order to build rapport. I would work with 5 people on stage instead of the usual 10. If all else fails I do have an emergency procedure which I shall keep to myself since hypnotists without my elastic conscience are horrified by and for some daft reason it excites controversy from the less competent.

If there are less than say 20 to 25 people there the best bet is to hypnotise the whole bloody audience. About 5 of them will go under and the rest won't but that is all you need anyway.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » November 12th, 2009, 4:28 pm

That is really great advice on the small audience. Thank you very much Mark.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Thank you Glenn. I am now in the process of sending Damian the photos. The first one is very funny and will show you what a draw I am.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 12th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Posted by the request of Mr Lewis:

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 7:04 pm

Thank you Damien. Now a question to any budding hypnotists. What would YOU do? And I address this particularly to the impertinent chap who had the audacity to criticise my hypnosis course. I can't remember his unmemorable name but he was a trifle emighmatic or phlemighmatic or something.

Even Munton's technique of "grabbing people" wouldn't have worked. Of course he knows what I did do since he helped me put up the photos elsewhere. Thank God he is busy today and won't be interrupting.

This photo was taken when I was actually onstage. My assistant has a very odd sense of humour and he is the one who took the picture. He actually asked if we were going to continue with the show. I suppose he was worried if I was going to pay him.

I went ahead and knowing in my heart the Fogel procedure I didn't blink an eyelid. Pitchmen know how to draw a crowd after all. Furthermore I am MARK LEWIS.

The Phlegmighmatic person please note.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » November 12th, 2009, 7:27 pm

I'm glad you are finally talking about hypnosis which you actually know something about. As I keep repeating, the hypnosis show is when the Fogel technique DOES work. And I did NOT say you should grab people at hypnosis shows. Honestly, Mother, I think we need to get you some new reading glasses.

If you try to use the Fogel technique at a MAGIC show, the above picture wouldn't change for the next three hours.

Anyway, I'm off out again, so I'll let you get back to your eager students. I'm sure they can't wait to find out how this exciting story ends. Hint: Watch the open window above the pub for the high powered rifle to appear.

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Damn! I thought he was working tonight. At least he was bragging that he was. And HE is the one who needs reading glasses. When I first described the Fogel method I was talking about hypnosis more than anything else. However Fogel used it in mentalism shows and did not go into the audience "grabbing" people. The technique does work for magic shows if you need it. But as I did explain it usually isn't necessary since there aren't that many tricks where a magician needs more than two people anyway. A mentalist sometimes- a magician rarely. As I said it is James who cannot read.

I was the one who first taught Munton how to be a stage hypnotist and his very first gig was on National Television. Of course his second gig died a death and he has been too chicken to try it since.

No British backbone I am afraid since he came to America. Just giving up at the first obstacle is not the way we British were able to rape and pillage the world over and form the British Empire.

Anyway thank God he has gone out for a while. Hopefully by the time he gets back he will be too tired to post.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » November 12th, 2009, 11:38 pm

I was working tonight. And I get back to see there has been absolutely zero interest in your rainy hypnosis show story. Is this the Fogel effect in action I wonder? Are you patiently waiting for the good Genii readers to participate?
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 13th, 2009, 7:55 am

I don't care whether they participate or not. You know perfectly well that this is not the most active forum in the world. I am merely attempting to teach. I have asked a simple question to help the students form a course of action in their minds. I asked what they would have done it such a situation. Since you are still in the throes of learning hypnotism yourself you should pay more attention and stop trying to disrupt the class.
Perhaps you should decide what you would have done. You have admitted that grabbing people would not be appropriate and in fact there would be nobody to actually grab.

I expect you would have gotten on your high horse and not performed and demanded your fee anyway.

That is because you have not mastered the Fogel method. I suggest that you read it in the 13 Steps along with the whole interview. It will be beneficial for you.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 13th, 2009, 8:29 am

Ready to post the other pictures when you instruct, Rev.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 13th, 2009, 9:03 am

James Munton wrote:Mr. Goat,

Please wait until the class has had a chance to answer Mother's question and tell us what they would do. It is important to give everyone a chance to respond, otherwise it might seem like nobody is actually reading this thread.

James

It seems many more people are reading this thread that your one. Jealous?

James Munton

Postby James Munton » November 13th, 2009, 9:15 am

Mr. Goat,

Since goats are ruminants, you may want to ruminate on the fact that I'm the one keeping this fascinating thread going!

Now then, perhaps you could answer your teacher's question and tell us what you would have done in this situation?

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 13th, 2009, 10:32 am

Mr Goat just made me laugh uproariously at his comparison chart.
And he doesn't have to answer Munton's question since I am the one who is conducting this class,not Munton. And anyway he has privately already told me what he would do . He confessed to great puzzlement over the matter and was in great admiration and wonder over my undoubted genius.

Now even I do a few shows now and then so today I will not be around much to annoy the multitude so I shall leave it in the Goat's very capable hands. He is nearly as good at annoying people as I am.

I shall therefore put him in charge of this thread until I return. He can post the rest of the photographs when he feels the right time. I shall leave it to his own discretion.

In the meantime I shall give the answer as to the best thing to do. If it is an outside event you just carry on and the crowd will gather if you are any good. If you aren't any good then you will look a right pillock when nobody shows up.

So the key is to be good and have the nerve of the devil. Keep absolutely calm and follow the Fogel method and show no signs of panic.If you are good at your job a crowd will gather.

When Damian posts the pictures you will see the proof of this.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 13th, 2009, 12:23 pm

James Munton wrote:Mr. Goat,

Since goats are ruminants, you may want to ruminate on the fact that I'm the one keeping this fascinating thread going!

In that case, why not apply your clearly legendary 'keeping threads going' skills to your OWN thread. It appears to be limping like an animal on the way to the slaughter house. Put it out of its misery, I beseech you.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 13th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » November 13th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Caption contest -

"Now repeat after me everyone: COFFEE COFFEE, CHEESE AND BISCUITS, CHEESE AND BISCUITS, SWEET SWEET, MEAT AND VEG, MEAT AND VEG, FISH FISH, SOOOOUP SOOOOUP! "

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 13th, 2009, 9:51 pm

This damn "sweet" business has quite unsettled me. I can't figure out if it is a train sounding word or not and people are looking at me quite oddly as I walk down the street reciting the above to figure out if it sounds like a bloody train.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » November 13th, 2009, 10:15 pm

I actually typed it wrong. SWEET should be said 4 times. (... CHEESE AND BISCUITS, CHEESE AND BISCUITS, SWEET SWEET SWEET SWEET, MEAT AND VEG, MEAT AND VEG....)

Len Belcher says to say it fairly quickly, with a pause after each time it is said, as if the train is changing rhythm and picking up speed.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 13th, 2009, 10:19 pm

FOUR TIMES!!!! I thought it was horrifying enough saying it only twice. I don't remember Edwin's version saying a word had to be repeated more than twice. Mind you I don't think Edwin included the word "sweet" either. I had better see if I can get used to saying it four times.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 13th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Anyway what the hell has all this got to do with my wonderful photographs above? How come nobody has commented on the masterly way I produced a large audience out of nowhere?

The poor Goat personage went to all that trouble for nothing.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 14th, 2009, 12:36 am

The greatest way to attract an audience, bar none, is The Pop-Up tie! Mark Lewis knows what I am talking about. JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 14th, 2009, 5:32 am

Roger is of course perfectly correct. He is indeed the master of the pop up tie and used to draw massive crowds by roaring to people in his Shakesperean actor's voice, "Have you seen the pop up tie?" and of course the tie popped up as he was doing so.

Alas however his pop up tie trick would not have been quite so effective in the above circumstances shown in the photographs. However I am sure it would have been better that Munton's unseemly and ungentlemanly method of "grabbing people"

I am delighted that I can now be rude about him and he is not allowed to answer back. Quite right too.

Which reminds me. James has told me privately that he is rather amused by the goat personage and quite likes him. It seems that one irritant is attracted to another. James recognises a kindred spirit it seems.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 14th, 2009, 6:41 am

Mark.Lewis wrote:The poor Goat personage went to all that trouble for nothing.

I still would like to know how you did it.

And it wasn't much trouble really. :)

James Munton

Postby James Munton » November 14th, 2009, 10:01 am

He told you already Mr. Goat. Dearie, me.

Mark.Lewis wrote:In the meantime I shall give the answer as to the best thing to do. If it is an outside event you just carry on and the crowd will gather if you are any good. If you aren't any good then you will look a right pillock when nobody shows up.

I will leave you to form your own opinion as to the value of this advice.

Mark.Lewis wrote:I am delighted that I can now be rude about him and he is not allowed to answer back.

Mother, that is not very sportsmanlike. Where is your British sense of fair play?
I have decided to interpret Richard's instruction as meaning I am not allowed to antagonize you. I am sure he will not mind me defending myself against your rudeness.

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 14th, 2009, 10:19 am

James. You know perfectly well that you have never antagonised me.And Richard WILL mind if you defend yourself. Americans don't always understand the British sense of humour. Methinks it would be better if we BOTH stop bickering.
However as far as I am aware there is no prohibition against you arguing with the goat if you feel bored.

And I DID tell Mr Goat how I did it. I used the Fogel method. Read it in the Fogel interview in the 13 Steps to Mentalism. You just don't panic and continue talking and the crowd will come if you are any good at your job. If you aren't any good then your personality and performance will not attract anyway.

In other words be good, don't panic and the audience will follow.
Only at an outdoor event obviously. Indoors you will have to suffer. But then it doesn't rain indoors even in the UK.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » November 14th, 2009, 10:29 am

In any case, you are getting all mixed up again. We started talking about bringing up volunteers at a magic show. Then you got all confused and started talking about the Fogel method which is only useful for getting volunteers at an hypnosis show. Now you are saying this method only works at an outdoor hypnosis show in the rain!!!

No wonder Mr. Goat is confused and your other students have disappeared altogether.

By the way, Richard, this post is intended to be helpful, not rude.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Do be quiet James. You are in danger of being kicked out and my level of boredom will increase dramatically.

Return to “General”