The Vanishing Leprechaun

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
David Acer

The Vanishing Leprechaun

Postby David Acer » July 10th, 2004, 11:32 am

Hi All,

Can anyone direct me to information regarding the puzzle that was sold as "The Vanishing Leprechaun" in the early eighties? It was, as I recall, a rectangle cut into three pieces (one long piece at the base and two smaller pieces along the top). When the puzzle was assembled one way, there appeared to be 15 leprechauns on it, but if you rearranged the puzzle by switching the top two pieces with one another, there were now only 14 leprechauns.

I know the puzzle has been reissued (Toad Hall Toys in Winnipeg is advertising it, as are others I'm sure). My question pertains more to the science (and origins) of the puzzle. Is information on this written up anywhere?

Any leads would be much appreciated.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Jeff Haas

Re: The Vanishing Leprechaun

Postby Jeff Haas » July 10th, 2004, 1:34 pm

I first thought it was one of Sam Lloyd's puzzles, but the only references I can find are for Pat Lyons.

See:

http://members.lycos.nl/amazingart/E/93.html

There might also be something in one of Martin Gardner's books on it.

Jeff

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » July 10th, 2004, 1:38 pm

Geometric vanishes go back at least as far as the 18th century. The two most informative articles on the topic of which I'm aware are a section in Martin Gardner's Mathematics, Magic and Mystery (1958) and an article by Mel Stover in the November 1980 issue of Games magazine.

Mel owned what was probably the largest collection of such constructions, and devised some of the best (including the groundbreaking faces-and-beer-mugs version).

Others who have contributed valuable work include Sam Loyd, Winston Freer, Paul Curry, Masao Atsukawa and Mark Setteducati.

The leprechaun version is one of the finest designs, done by Pat Lyons in 1968. It was marketed by Bill Elliott.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 10th, 2004, 1:50 pm

HERE is a Sam Loyd version of the same puzzle.

I have a giveaway from McDonald's in which a hamburger disappears; the premise is that the Hamburglar stole it.

Tenyo had one lately (the vanishing ghost -- maybe a Japan only item?)

HERE is a page that has reference to a 1794 explanation (perhaps the one Max refers to) and its application to counterfeiting.

Another

More

It seems like I heard that Mark Setteducati ended up with some of Mel Stover's collection -- he most likely would be a good source of info.

DChung

Postby DChung » July 10th, 2004, 1:58 pm

Sam Loyd's (the spelling may be why you didn't find anything, Jeff) puzzle was entitled "Get off the Earth" and is from 1896. This was definitely one of the most popular versions of the puzzle.

Max already gave some good references on these types of puzzles, and I am partial to the Martin Gardner material.

David, if you need any more specific information on this stuff, give me a shout. I just finished up my thesis, so now I'm just lazing around town with nothing to do.

Derrick

Joe Gallant

Postby Joe Gallant » July 10th, 2004, 3:26 pm

Mac King's web site has a version of this puzzle.

You can find it at http://www.mackingshow.com/macpuzzletest.html

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » July 10th, 2004, 3:50 pm

I had one of Irv Weiner ones. I came across it a few weeks ago. I showed it to my daughter and then tossed it trying to weed out the non-Houdini. Oh well.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2004, 4:26 pm

I used to see the leprechauns on the counter at the Arcade Magic Shop in Toronto, thirty years ago.

You'll find a lot of info about in Ibidem Volume 3, page 850 "The Vanishing Dollar Forty-Nine."

David Acer

Postby David Acer » July 11th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Thank you ALL! I was really starting from scratch on this one and you've helped ENORMOUSLY!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

David Ben

Postby David Ben » July 12th, 2004, 6:36 am

Well, Mark, you weren't very good for very long.

You do not own the rights to the Vanishing Leprechaun. The rights to the design are owned by Pat Lyons and registered as such in both the U.S. and Canada. I have the legal documentation at hand by which Bill Elliott transferred all rights back to Pat. I represent Pat Lyons on this matter and would appreciate being informed of any illegal reproductions out there.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 12th, 2004, 7:05 am

Prelude to another leprechaun vanish?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

DChung

Postby DChung » July 12th, 2004, 12:14 pm

To add to Max's list of references, also take a look at Martin Gardner's Aha, Gotcha or Wheels, Life and Other Mathematical Amusements for a discussion of Pat Lyon's version, which includes a reproduction of her puzzle.

Derrick

Randy

Postby Randy » July 12th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Reminds me of that riddle that goes something like: 3 guys check into one motel room. Cost is $30 ($10 each). Manager realizes he made a mistake and the room is actually only $25, not $30. The guys should get a $5 refund but the manager realizes he can't divide $5 evenly between the 3 guys so he keeps $2 for himself and refunds $1 to each guy.

So, each guy ends up paying $9. $9 times the three guys equals $27 plus the $2 the manager kept for himself equals a total of $29.

What happened to the other $1 ???

I believe Daryl used to have a routine based on this riddle (and some false counting of bills).

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 12th, 2004, 1:52 pm

Originally posted by Randy Gastreich:
Reminds me of that riddle that goes something like: 3 guys check into one motel room. Cost is $30 ($10 each). Manager realizes he made a mistake and the room is actually only $25, not $30. The guys should get a $5 refund but the manager realizes he can't divide $5 evenly between the 3 guys so he keeps $2 for himself and refunds $1 to each guy.

So, each guy ends up paying $9. $9 times the three guys equals $27 plus the $2 the manager kept for himself equals a total of $29.

What happened to the other $1 ???

I believe Daryl used to have a routine based on this riddle (and some false counting of bills).
There is no other $1, of course. The math is just wrong. ;)

The manager has $25 in the register, plus two in his pocket. So the manager has a total of $27. The three guys (after the refund) paid $9, which comes out to $27 total. Mystery solved!

Another way to look at it is that the $2 the manager has should be subtracted from the $27 the three guys paid, not added, so that it equals the $25 in the register.

OR...the manager has $27. The three guys, after the refund, have in their pockets $1 each. That's $3, total, plus the $27, which gives you the $30.

I have too much free time.

-Jim "The Nerd" Maloney

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2004, 9:34 am

As a matter of fact in Gardner's book cited previously by Max Maven, there is a reproduction of the very same Vanishing Leprechaun illusion.

It's definitely one of the best illusions around. You can order the Dover paperback on Amazon.

Take care.

Mariano Tomatis

Postby Mariano Tomatis » March 27th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Based on the same idea, I created this:
http://www.dharmainitiative.it/index.php?id=test&n=8

Mariano

Mariano Tomatis

Postby Mariano Tomatis » March 27th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Download from here:
http://www.dharmainitiative.it/tests/8/Hooper1774.pdf
the first reference in literature to a similar puzzle in William Hooper, Rational Recreations: In which the Principles of Numbers and Natural Philosophy are Clearly and Copiously Elucidated, by a Series of Easy, Entertaining, Interesting Experiments. Among which are All Those Commonly Performed with the Cards, L. Davis; J. Robson; B. Law; and G. Robinson, 1774.

Return to “General”