Science of deceit

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Science of deceit

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 2:24 am

Click here for an article on a scientific study of deceit. The study employs an internet poll where people view two video clips -- of Max Maven talking about his life -- and vote on which account is true.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Re: Science of deceit

Postby Bob Coyne » October 1st, 2002, 5:47 am

This reminds me of the work of Paul Ekman who scientifically studies involuntary facial expressions. These micro-expressions, he claims, give away a person's hidden intentions, including whether he or she is lying. There was a fascinating article in the New Yorker a couple of months ago on the subject. Here's a copy of the article.

http://cryptome.org/naked-face.htm#tny

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » October 1st, 2002, 6:49 pm

Bob Coyne writes:
This reminds me of the work of Paul Ekman who scientifically studies involuntary facial expressions. These micro-expressions, he claims, give away a person's hidden intentions, including whether he or she is lying.
You might be interested in knowing that Wiseman & Lamont had some of the video clips I did for them analyzed by a British scientist who used a computer to study just these types of micro-expression. And, I'm happy to report, I have no facial tells.

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » October 1st, 2002, 7:24 pm

Originally posted by Max Maven:
You might be interested in knowing that Wiseman & Lamont had some of the video clips I did for them analyzed by a British scientist who used a computer to study just these types of micro-expression. And, I'm happy to report, I have no facial tells.
I don't know, Max...I always see that left eyebrow go up just before you say, "Boo."

L-

Darwin Ortiz

Postby Darwin Ortiz » October 1st, 2002, 10:55 pm

Originally posted by Max Maven:
I'm happy to report, I have no facial tells.
I guess those Botox injections are finally kicking in.

Return to “General”