Impromptu Memory stunt--research question

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
rage

Impromptu Memory stunt--research question

Postby rage » July 22nd, 2009, 8:42 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking for effects that are themed around memory stunts with cards. I know there are effects out there that use stacks, max
maven has a great one in Thabattecal. So too, does Juan tamariz in mnemonica.

What I am looking for though are effects of this type that can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck.

If you have any references that I could look up please let me know.

Take care.
with an N

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Impromptu Memory stunt--research question

Postby NCMarsh » July 22nd, 2009, 9:15 pm

• Moe's Move a Card
  • You can frame virtually any card location as a memory test
  • Force a card, have spec. place unseen in pocket...rapidly scan rest of deck
  • Lorayne's Epitome Location
  • Legitimately memorize the spec's deck -- there are folks who can do it in under a minute
  • Corinda's "Amazing Memory Test" (p. 61, 13 Steps), not specific to cards, but a stunning, impromptu, and highly commercial memory demo
  • Just because you've borrowed a shuffled deck doesn't mean you can't use a stack -- there are ways..."Total Memory", (Mnemonica, p.201) is a strong choice for the situation because it only requires a half stack (a great way to get into half-stack is to use Vernon's "Emotional Reaction" (a killer and under-seen trick from Ultimate Secrets), up-jogging 1-26 as candidates for the selection and then eliminating them in order)
  • There are a number of strong memory demo's using Si Stebbins -- if you're working from a new deck Ortiz' Stebbins Secret can get you there

rage

Postby rage » July 22nd, 2009, 10:03 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Nathan. I want to stay away from move a card type effects, and location effects, and more into the type of effect that tamariz does from mnemonica.

Corrinda's effect sounds interesting, I'll look it up.

Thanks.
with an N

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 23rd, 2009, 12:57 pm

If you're looking to call out a sequence of cards, identify which cards are in which packets, etc. Then -- to the best of my knowledge -- you need to work with a stack of some sort or do the memory work legitimately.

While you can get into the stack on the fly, the only rooms I've ever worked where spectators brought their own cards were magic club meetings...

In terms of full-stack, my favorite card memory routines are Bob Cassidy's from The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy and David Berglas The Mind and Magic of David Berglas

While I doubt it was the first, many of the memory routines seem to take George Sands' routine as a beginning (which I have seen performed and discussed, but have not read)

Best of luck in your research,

N.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » July 24th, 2009, 12:32 pm

I published a "pseudo memory stunt" with cards in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION,Volume 1, and another in THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 2. HL (Of course, if you want probably the strongest, impromptu, memory feat with cards, try to find a copy of PERSONAL COLLECTION and check out WHAT A M-E-S (Memory, Estimation, Sleight of hand.)

Return to “General”