NOW ONLINE: FULL ACCESS TO GENII 1936 to 1998

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: NOW ONLINE: FULL ACCESS TO GENII 1936 to 1998

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2006, 10:11 am

Okay, I've just navigated through the Archive using Internet Explorer and there are no problems at all IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LETTER THAT CAME WITH YOUR PASSWORD AND ID.
The normal Adobe search box at the bottom of the page does not function, but the Alexander search box at the top of the page (in the small frame at the top--you may have to scroll down in that very top frame to see it) works perfectly with both Netscape and Internet Explorer.
Someone reported that they were having trouble with Mac OS 9.X, but Kalush checked that out and it works fine as long as you use the Alexander search box at the top of the page (and not the Adobe search box at the bottom).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 9th, 2006, 10:36 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Okay, I've just navigated through the Archive using Internet Explorer and there are no problems at all IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LETTER THAT CAME WITH YOUR PASSWORD AND ID.
Richard,
There is one very frustrating problem which has never been resolved for IE. Specifically, I'm referring to changing the number of results displayed on your search. It defaults to 10, but there are options going up to 100. However, any attempt to change that number in IE always results in it going back to 10 -- it's impossible to show more than 10 results. I pointed this out back in March. It's not a problem in Firefox, though, as I can change it however I wish. I'd be very frustrated if I only used was IE, though.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2006, 11:05 am

Jim, Didn't know about that one. Anyone else have the same problem? If so, I'd suggest downloading Netscape (or Firefox). I have no problems with Netscape. :)

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 1:50 pm

I feel stupid...Richard is right. All you have to do is pull down on the bar at the top of the page to reveal the search facility. No need to download anything. Internet Explorer isn't the problem. Being dumb is the problem.

Joe Mckay

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Joe, it's not dumb. This computer stuff is still a mystery to me.

If things in the world really made sense, that white search box would be in view all the time (and you wouldn't have to scroll down or pull the frame open to see it!).

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2006, 2:31 pm

I have encountered the same problem as Jim Maloney: not being able to specify more that 10 hits/page after a search when using IE - will probably download Firefox to remedy that.

Apart from that the Genii archive is a terrific and fun resource to search or browse.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 10th, 2006, 4:48 am

This computer stuff is still a mystery to me.
Aren't you the fellow who was using a Franklin in 1987?

Matt Field

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 10th, 2006, 6:43 am

If things in the world really made sense, that white search box would be in view all the time (and you wouldn't have to scroll down or pull the frame open to see it!).
It's not that it's hard to do -- it just hasn't been done. A simple change on one line of code could fix that up, no problem.

-Jim

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2006, 6:40 am

Hi,
I've begun to read Genii Magazine online from page 1 of Vol. 1 N1 and I can't find page 17.
Perhaps they forgot to scan this page?
Richard is it possible for you to check?
Thank you in advance.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 11th, 2006, 7:04 am

Looks like both 16 and 17 are missing -- it skips straight from page 15 to 18.

-Jim

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2006, 9:11 am

Originally posted by Chris Wasshuber:
My bet is that Magicseen will ultimately grow their profit this way. They are expanding the market by making their product available in different ways. There is a significant customer segment which does not want to subscribe, but which is willing to buy single issues whenever they feel like it. Magicseen makes this easy. Some of these single issue buyers will like it so much that they will subscribe.
Having just recently purchased an on-line copy of Magicseen I have to agree with Chris on this one. On a couple of visits to the UK I tried to purchase a single copy of Magicseen just to see if I liked the style etc. but couldn't locate one.

When I found that I could purchase a single copy on-line I went directly to the site and did so. It reads well on the screen and the printed version works well too. Don't know yet if I will subscribe but one thing is for sure - I certainly would never subscribe without a "test run".

Jon Paris

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 13th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Philippe,

Page 15, there is Scattered Shots by Lenn O. Gunn and page 16, there is Stage Craft : So Your Club is Going To Give a Show ? by Caryl S. Fleming

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Originally posted by Ian Kendall:
Another caveat about IP addresses; many UK ISPs provide dynamic addressing, which means a single computer will likely have a different IP address each time it connects. Often the lease time is only an hour, so the same machine would have different addresses before and after lunch.

This may be the case overseas as well, but I have no experience with them.

Take care, Ian
This is the case anywhere. Anyone still unlucky enough to be using dial-up access (modem) will find their IP address changes every time they connect. For those lucky enough to have broadband access, unless you pay extra for a fixed IP address, the lease will be renewed at least once per day, sometimes more often.

Now, all your leases will be in a fixed block, of course, which belong to a particular ISP, and Richard could check that your changing IP addresses fall within that block - but that still does not cater for the fact that many people travel (so wildly varying their IP address with each connection) or use anonymisers to ensure that a fake IP address is used for privacy reasons (i.e. I could sign on right now with an IP address from a Texan ISP, and then again in 10 minutes with one from New York)

Bob

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 3:38 pm

There are ways to track account usage other than strictly IP. Once someone has logged on with a user account, many systems can log every bit of access from that account. Such logs (not depending on IP addresses) can indicate some fairly obvious patterns of abuse.

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2006, 1:42 am

Originally posted by Chris Aguilar:
There are ways to track account usage other than strictly IP. Once someone has logged on with a user account, many systems can log every bit of access from that account. Such logs (not depending on IP addresses) can indicate some fairly obvious patterns of abuse.
My point exactly - IP usage is not the way to go...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 14th, 2006, 5:41 pm

The discussion about IP addresses is now completed.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Originally posted by Tony Grant:
Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
That and I wouldn't do business with anyone who mispells "library."
Yeah, it should be "Lyberry".

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 2:45 pm

I subscribe to two other big text OCR databases (Newspaperarchive.com and ProQuest Historical Newspapers) out of my own pocket, and use a number of others (access through work, state library system, etc). Each has their own quirks and idiosyncracies. But the interface from the CAC is as good as any out there.

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Any word yet on scanning Vol. 55 into the database? I was trying to read through David Harkey's "In A Year" series, but was cut off since 9 of the 12 installments are missing.

At any rate, I've found some real gems so far, and I've only been using the site for a few days.

Caleb

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 8th, 2007, 8:44 am

Sorry about that. I'm supposed to provide an entire file of Genii so everything can be rescanned in color but have been so busy with actually getting Genii out that I haven't had time.
But, it will happen and I hope soon.

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2007, 9:10 am

Thanks, Richard. I can't wait.

Return to “General”