travelling with props

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
smokemist

travelling with props

Postby smokemist » March 29th, 2009, 3:45 am

wut is recommended when traveliing by plane with things like flash paper and matches, etc..? Do u notify somebody first before checking this bagage?

David Alexander

Re: travelling with props

Postby David Alexander » March 29th, 2009, 10:06 am

Flash paper is a form of nitrocellulose, an explosive. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose

It is a prohibited item. Im sure your airline has a thought or two about you wanting to fly with an explosive in your luggage as well the authorities where you live and where you want to go. If your airport screening has dogs trained to sniff out explosives you may find yourself with lots of time to practice card sleights for trying to smuggle an explosive on an airplane.

That and old flash paper can become unstable and spontaneously combust, another reason to leave it home.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 29th, 2009, 11:01 am

Dude--you don't want to have your belongings confiscated, or miss your flight, or go to jail. Leave the flash paper, flash string, flash cotton AT HOME.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

smokemist

Postby smokemist » March 29th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Dude--you don't want to have your belongings confiscated, or miss your flight, or go to jail. Leave the flash paper, flash string, flash cotton AT HOME.

I had not intention of "smuggling these items".. I assumed magis notified the airport officials beforehand..
I also assume that magis do fly with mathes, flash paper, etc..
Do most actually try to buy matches, flash paper upon arrival to Singpore, or Malaysia? I can't see this happening..

I am speaking about many dove worker acts out there, for example..

Thanks for the reply "dude".

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » March 29th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Not only will it sniff out any prohibited items but it can also pick up traces on your hands or luggage. Be sure to wash your hands well before touching traveling luggage or anything else that may go through screening.

I set it off because I used flash paper and touched the outside of a case.

Most guys try to find local suppliers where they are heading. Local magicians can help. Or you can ship it (very expensively) by private carriers, in some instances.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 29th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Many guys seem to ship their flash paper ahead to their destinations in its "wet" state.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”