New eBay scam

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

New eBay scam

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2005, 4:12 am

For those of you who trade on ebay, I alert you to a new (to me) scam which came to my attention today.

I received a 'Question from ebay member' email asking about shipping charges to NYC. Normally I may have taken this at face value. However, my current ebay items are for UK shipping only, and are clearly marked so. Alarms bells rang!

The respond button in the email takes you to a clone of the ebay security login page, which then, I guess, harvests your security details for future evil means.

These pages appear to be part of a Korean network, although the actual owners could be anywhere on the planet.

Be aware. It's the best mockup I've seen yet.

Robert Allen

Re: New eBay scam

Postby Robert Allen » September 28th, 2005, 7:43 am

Graham, thanks for posting this. I hadn't thought of scamming info quite this way and it might have gotten me. I'll have to pay more attention to the emails I get when auctions complete as well.

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » September 28th, 2005, 8:40 am

It's a form of "Pfishing" which asks for passwords, account #s etc. They are a nuisance and a method for identitiy theft as well depleting your account. Remember Ebay or Paypal will never ask for account info to be filled in via email.
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » September 28th, 2005, 9:50 am

Also, never go to one of these sites by clicking a link in an email. Open your browser and type in the main page address of whatever website manually.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 28th, 2005, 10:46 am

I just got a PayPal message saying I bought a pair of sneakers and paid for it.
If I wanted to dispute the PayPal charge, then I should click "here."
Of course it was a scam!
Bastards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » September 28th, 2005, 11:39 am

Too bad there aren't internet bounty hunters who would track these guys down across international borders and just beat them with a 2 x 4 for a while. That would most certainly put a stop to the problem.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » September 28th, 2005, 11:51 am

There's a very well done scam welcoming you as a Power Seller.

One of the best I've seen.

sam

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Originally posted by Robert Allen:
Too bad there aren't internet bounty hunters who would track these guys down across international borders and just beat them with a 2 x 4 for a while. That would most certainly put a stop to the problem.
I hear your Robert. You can't beat corrective therapy, old school.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » September 28th, 2005, 2:08 pm

I love when these guys send me this junk. Not that I love or think they should do it. When I get the "login screen" I type some horrible name like kissmy*** and some obscene password. They of course collect that data. Then I get a credit card screen. If you do go to a website before you login, try some fake username and password. If you get in, it is fraudulent.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » September 28th, 2005, 2:19 pm

I figured out the best way to handle ANY kind email from Ebay is just to delete. If it's real, it will be in "My Ebay". Emails from Ebay, buyers and sellers will show up there. Short and sweet. :D
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » September 28th, 2005, 6:22 pm

Please forward all phishing scams to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. eBay and PayPal work very closely with many ISP's and as a result, when we receive these spoof emails the ISP's block mail from those addresses. This in turn forces the scammers to find new servers from which to unleash their trouble.

Every address we can stop helps.

John Bodine

Postby Guest » October 22nd, 2005, 5:06 pm

I am pretty internet savvy but I got caught with that "power seller" scam. Within 2 minutes I could not get in to my ebay account, THEY were in it. Never use the same passwords for banking and money that you use for general stuff.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 23rd, 2005, 8:47 am

Two very easy ways to suss out a paypal/ebay phishing scam.

I believe reading that neither of those two companies (well one big company really) will e-mail you without using your real name (as they have it) as the greeting of the e-mail.

No real name (i.e. Dear Paypal member) means it's very likely a scam.

One can simply hover one's mouse over the links in the e-mail to see if they're truly from e-bay or not. Sometimes scammers will mix in a few generic real links, but the scam link will still be prominent. You see even one non paypal/ebay link, do as suggested previously and forward off that message to spoof@paypal.com or spoof at ebay.com.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » November 20th, 2005, 9:35 pm

Look for misspelled words. I have had a couple of e-mails that started:

Honorable eBay Costumer:

Another thing is that sometimes they forget to put in one of the HTML tags that cues the e-mail program to read it as HTML. Then you get some really funny looking messages.

I forwad them all to eBay.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Return to “General”