Paul Cummins Lecture Report

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Paul Cummins Lecture Report

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2004, 12:57 pm

Greetings:

Here's a brief report about the Paul Cummins lecture at our store last night (May 24th). To use some b-school jargon, Paul blew doors. In fact, his work went over so well that he received a standing ovation at the end from a very savvy New York crowd.

For those who don't know about it, Paul's lecture is names FASDIU, which stands for "from a shuffled deck in use," which means that these tricks can be done with any deck of cards at any time. By chance, we were able to use an empty apartment across from my store for the lecture itself, making the logistics quite easy. After shopping, mingling and snacking on a delicious buffet of junk food (cookies, candy, soda, hot dogs), a near-capacity group of attendees merely walked across the hall where the lecture room was already set up.

Paul's superb technique, sharp sense of humor and personable manner, honed over thousands of performances as a bar and corporate magician, shone through the whole night. Paul's methodology is to show a set of tricks, THEN explain them one by one. In his first set, he showed how he routines his work so that he sets up for subsequent tricks as he's performing or ending one trick.

He began with "A La Annemann," a quick-paced routine which Paul often uses as an opener, in which a single card changes value four times. He followed this with "No Joke," which is based on Chad Long's "Talk to the Hand," but uses no gaffs. It's another strong routine where two jokers held under the spectator's hand change place with four queens that the performer is holding.

Paul continued to demonstrate about six other tricks, culminating with a gambling routine, "Punken Droker," wherein he dealt himself a royal flush in a spectacular and magical manner.

During the break, Paul mingled with the crowd, approaching small groups to demonstrate a variety of coin tricks, which he explained in detail in the second part of the lecture. Unfortunately for me as a magician - although fortunately for me as a dealer - I missed most of the second half because several pesky customers insisted on buying tons of stuff during this time.

However, I did manage to catch Paul's astounding matrix-like routine with two borrowed bills that culminates with the production of a jumbo coin; his well-regarded "Multiple Selection" routine and his clever variation on "Wild Card," ("Workingman's Wild Card") that ends with the use of a switch wallet to ring in non-gaffed dupes of the card.

About two and a half hours later, after answering a host of challenging questions from the crowd, the lecture was concluded. We then returned to the store for some more refreshments, informal chats, shopping and even a near fistfight. What more could you want for 30 bucks?

On a personal note, I have to say that Paul was an absolute pleasure to work with - gracious, accommodating, patient, flexible and very friendly. After taking him out to dinner and drinks, he still had a few minutes to help me with some card moves that I am working on. Well done, Paul. We hope to see you again!

For those who are interested, we have SIGNED copies of three of Paul's publications:

1) from a shuffled deck in use $25.00
2) FASDIU II $25.00
3) Fusillade (written w/ Doc Eason, this is "a treatise on the Multiple Selection Routine." $20.00

Best,
Michael Canick

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Paul Cummins Lecture Report

Postby Matthew Field » May 26th, 2004, 9:19 am

Originally posted by Michael Canick:

1) from a shuffled deck in use $25.00
2) FASDIU II $25.00
3) Fusillade (written w/ Doc Eason, this is "a treatise on the Multiple Selection Routine." $20.00

These books are highly, HIGHLY recommended.

Matt Field

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 26th, 2004, 10:12 am

Sounds like a great night! I'd like to hear more about the near fistfight...

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 26th, 2004, 10:24 am

Ah...not too interesting, actually. One guy got annoyed at another guy that was fiddling with a deck of cards during the lecture, claiming it was disturbing his ability to hear Paul. The guy playing with his cards felt he had a right to play with the cards, so he could follow along with Paul's explanation (as several folks were). There was a minor outburst during the lecture, which seemed to resolve the issue. Afterwards, however, the two guys started at it again, with one of them stating "You don't know who you're messing with." The situation was eventually diffused (good work, Michael), and everyone went home.

Good times. :)

As far as the actual lecture goes, it was very good. What I liked best was Paul's ability to get people to actually open up and ask questions -- too often I sit at lectures where I know people have questions, but they just sit on them and don't ask. Paul made us all feel comfortable enough to ask whatever was on our minds, and it resulted in some good discussions. That's what a lecture should be like, I think -- a back and forth discussion between the lecturer and the attendees.

He gave some good information on the Side Steal, including some tips which I immediately started using. Thanks Paul -- it was nice to actually meet you in person!

-Jim

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » May 26th, 2004, 10:38 am

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Afterwards, however, the two guys started at it again, with one of them stating "You don't know who you're messing with."
A situation where name badges would have resolved the conflict?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 26th, 2004, 10:52 am

Originally posted by Ian Richards:
Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
[b] Afterwards, however, the two guys started at it again, with one of them stating "You don't know who you're messing with."
A situation where name badges would have resolved the conflict? [/b]
There ya go! Make a note, Michael! ;)

-Jim

Return to “General”