Ray Kosby--Man of Mystery

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Ray Kosby--Man of Mystery

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 8:28 am

Yesterday, I reviewed my two tapes on Ray Kosby--"WOW, It's Ray Kosby" and "Impossible Card Magic" These are wonderful tapes showing an advanced magician doing some very original effects. It got me thinking why so little is known about Ray. Where is he? Why don't we hear more about him? Does he perform full time or is magic an avocation?

Since these tapes were made by Richard Kaufman, I would think that you, Richard, would have kept track of him. Any information?

Arnie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Ray Kosby--Man of Mystery

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 15th, 2007, 9:18 am

Ray works at the Goddard Space Center in Maryland. He lives nearby.
What you see on those two videos is the accumulation of almost 20 years of creative work. He doesn't create a trick a week, or even a month. So, it took many years to come up with that material, which is why it's so incredibly good.
He doesn't do as much magic as he used to.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 9:30 am

I'd like to tip my hat to Kosby's incredible ideas too. It is worth checking out the DVD re-issues of the videos. There are four bonus effects. My favourite involves a colour change of a card lying face up in the middle of a ribbon spread. If you have never seen it then you ain't ever seen anything like it!

I would love to see Ray publish more in the future...

Joe

David Acer

Postby David Acer » January 15th, 2007, 10:01 am

Theres a great card trick of Rays in the Steve Forte issue (October, 2005) that doesnt appear on either of his tapes. Its extremely hard to do, but it looks like real magic.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 11:41 am

I met Ray at the Castle a couple of months back. A very nice man and he still has the serious chops. I don't know if he's not as into magic as he used to be, but he was that night.

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Someone should write a book of the Complete Works of Ray Kosby, it would one of the best books ever!!!!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 8th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Spent most of an afternoon at Dean Dill' when Kosby showed up. ABSOLUTELY MIND BOGGLING STUFF. He was fun an happy to share.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2007, 11:43 am

Pete,

Good to see you are up and about.

I ran into Ray at a Garrett Thomas performance a couple of months back. I asked him why he was so laid back re his wonderful magic. He said he prefers to do it that way but did mention that a book was a future possibility.

Arnie

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 25th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I recently purchased Kosby's Impossible Card Magic on DVD, and I have to say that he floored me with his magic. Every card effect, and especially "Raise Rise," had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief. He makes Fred Robinson's "Ambitious Riser" move look ridiculously easy, until you realize it's ridiculously difficult with a deck in your hand.

Ray's "Oil and Water" routine is wonderfully deceptive, uses no "extra" cards, needs no table, no pesky Vernon wedge break, and is not that hard to learn.

Meir Yedid is to be commended for releasing these tapes, and many of those old wonderful A-1 Multimedia tapes onto DVD.

Chad Nipper

Postby Chad Nipper » April 14th, 2008, 12:18 am

Knowing this is an "older" topic, I just wanted to add that I was told by Ray last weekend there is a set of new notes in the works.

By the way, hello to all, this is my first post here.

Chad Nipper

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 14th, 2008, 5:59 pm

That's wonderful Chad. Keep us posted...

Chad Nipper

Postby Chad Nipper » April 16th, 2008, 2:05 am

Also just read that Ray is set up to lecture at the Carolina Close up Convention. Pretty cool...

Michael Feldman

Postby Michael Feldman » April 28th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Ray seems to be coming back to the magic world a little bit. He is still a self-proclaimed hobbyist, but while he used to just do his own thing apart from the community for a while, I saw him at the castle hanging out and sessioning a few months ago, and then again at Fechter's this past weekend.

He seems to be floating around with his friends from back when he was a castle junior a lot more and generally coming to more and more events.
--
Michael Feldman
www.magicmichael.com

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 28th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Ray will be lecturing at Barry's Magic Shop here in Rockville on Fiday May the 23rd. Bob Sheets will also be lecturing this Friday the 2nd. Any magician in the area shouldn't miss out.

Barry has recently decorated the walls of the stairwell entrance of his shop with a slew of Genii magazine covers. It's like walking through the Genii Hall of Fame as you head upstairs into the main room.

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » April 28th, 2008, 6:49 pm

One of the highlights for me of FFFF this year was hanging out with Ray and seeing the new stuff he's come up with. It's good to see him back in the fold.

Mark Phillips
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Postby Mark Phillips » May 12th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Ray will also be lecturing at Barry's Magic Shop in Rockville, MD. May 23, 8:00 p.m., $20 according to Barry's site:

http://www.barrysmagicshop.com/

Ray is a great guy and a monster with the pasteboards. Tell your friends!

Mark Phillips
Go practice.

David Corsaro

Postby David Corsaro » May 12th, 2008, 5:31 pm

To jump on the "Ray Kosby is cool" bandwagon, I can say that he is also one of the nicest people I have ever met in the world of magic. Always willing to talk and share ideas.

David
My new DVD ("Magic of David Corsaro") is available from your favorite dealer www.davidcorsaro.com

Return to “General”