What's in The December Dai Vernon Issue of Genii?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

What's in The December Dai Vernon Issue of Genii?

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 3rd, 2001, 4:07 pm

We're busy putting the finishing touches on the December issue of Genii focusing on Dai Vernon. Just wanted to let everyone know that I've located five previously unpublished card effects of Vernon's that will appear in the issue. Among them is the best version of "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" to be published thus far.
Plus, we have previously unpublished work on the Kennedy Center Deal and many never-before-seen photographs from the Vernon archives of David Ben.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete McCabe

Re: What's in The December Dai Vernon Issue of Genii?

Postby Pete McCabe » October 4th, 2001, 11:02 pm

Richard,

Can't wait.

Is Kennedy the guy who Vernon and Charlie Miller drove to Kansas to see, as recounted by Ricky Jay in his "52 Assistants" show?

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 5th, 2001, 3:00 am

5 Unpublished Vernon Card Tricks?? Best Version of OOS,OOM?? Holy Cow! Can't Wait.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2001, 7:07 am

Sounds like a great issue! I subscribed on-line a few days ago, is my subscription likely to be processed in time for me to receive this issue? Hope so!

By the way, hi everyone! (this is my first post).....

and while I`m here, I know this is probably out of place but I`ll ask anyway: has anybody any idea where i could get a copy of the Vernon Chrnoicles Vol 1 (preferably in the UK)? I know, shame on me for not having it already! :eek:

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 5th, 2001, 9:46 am

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
Richard,

Can't wait.

Is Kennedy the guy who Vernon and Charlie Miller drove to Kansas to see, as recounted by Ricky Jay in his "52 Assistants" show?

I'm not Richard, but yes, this is the same Kennedy. There was a _really_ good article about him -- interviews with family, etc. -- and details about the storied search by Vernon and Miller in a recent issue of American Heritage magazine. The website is a couple months behind, but your local library would have it, and it's worth reading.

See also the October issue of Cigar Aficianado for a good article on Jim Swain and card sleight of hand.

Bill Mullins

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2001, 8:46 pm

Part of the December Dai Vernon issue of Genii is a greatly expanded version of the American Heritage article by Karl Johnson.
The first volume of the Vernon Chronicles is quite hard to find. I would contact try John Greget in Scottsdale, Arizona. I am not sure who the used magic book dealers are in the UK.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”