One-Trick DVDs

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
P.T.Widdle

One-Trick DVDs

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 19th, 2008, 2:14 pm

In the July Genii Speaks column, Richard talks about the insanity of of buying one-trick DVDs.

"Why in the world would someone pay $30 for a DVD that teaches one trick when you can buy a book that teaches 25 or 30 tricks for $10 more...Are the people out there buying magic that incredibly naive?"

In the same piece he describes a recent color change trick DVD as,

"a damn remarkable color change. One of the best I've ever seen."

Adding,

"it's so simple to do that it is really is a marvelous thing."

Richard, how could I not be intrigued with a recommendation like that? You even mention that David Regal is quoted on the cover.

This isn't the first time you have recommended a one-trick DVD. One of the reasons I bought the Chriss Angel coin-in-can DVD is because I seem to remember you saying it was one of the best close-up effects you've ever seen.

I own a Barrister's bookcase full of magic books, but occasionally I buy a one-trick DVD. Why? Because of recommendations from people like you, for one, and maybe also a little good marketing and buzz.
I'm not a card man but the way you described this color change DVD, I'm tempted to get it. All the arguments you make about the value of books versus one-trick DVDs hold water, but you sabotage your message by including a rave review of a DVD in the same piece. It's maddening! :crazy:

Frank Starsinic

Re: One-Trick DVDs

Postby Frank Starsinic » June 19th, 2008, 7:03 pm

I wrote about this on a different forum but here are my feelings again:

I've gotten a LOT of GREAT GREAT worth from one-trick DVDs.
I don't mind them at all. Like all of us, I know more than enough tricks. The last thing we all need is quantity. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare to books. Maybe. I have not thought about it that way.

A few of my favorites:

(Kohler) Ogawa Ninja Rings
(Kohler) Golden Shells video
(A1) Phil Cass Shells routine
(Kozmo) Cellini Rings
(Kozmo) Capehart Rings
(Kozmo) Capehart Miser's Dream (ok it's a 2 trick DVD but..)
(Levent) Miser's Dream
(Levent) Salt Pour

One I hated was Sankey's 3 Ring Circus.
Very incomplete, piss poor gimmick and with extra card tricks tossed in to try to (which it did not) make up for the poor routine.

I say go ahead and make your one-trick DVDs but follow the lead from Kozmo, Kohler, and Levent and do them right.

Or run the risk of D. Regal calling it CRAP on the next Reel Magic Quarterly. (That was a funny episode, David).

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » June 19th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Frank:
I likewise didn't love "Jay's Circus", (and I really shouldn't post this) but I am compelled to mention that one of the "bonus tricks" at the end of "3 Ring Circus" (I believe it's called "Collateral Damage") ab-so-lutely SLAYS people.

bagelsandlox

Postby bagelsandlox » June 24th, 2008, 4:44 am

Please notice that all the revered Magcians of today ( Burton, Thompson, etc. ) learned from books, magazines and from mentors.

It's sad to hear people say "I got my start in card magic with Michael Ammar's Easy to Master..."

You can learn from a DVD, but it's simplified. You have no struggle to imagine the moves in your mind, so you don't become great, just a clone of the "teacher" on the DVD.

Even if the teacher is Ammar, it's not the same as a book. Learn from a book and then, when you think you've mastered it, get a DVD to see how it compares.

Alton

Postby Alton » June 24th, 2008, 11:45 am

bagelsandlox wrote:Please notice that all the revered Magcians of today ( Burton, Thompson, etc. ) learned from books, magazines and from mentors.

It's sad to hear people say "I got my start in card magic with Michael Ammar's Easy to Master..."

I don't see the problem with it. I have been interested in card magic seriously for well over a decade. The first magic trick that got me hooked, and I remember it to this day, was a vanishing coin trick my babysitters son showed me. I'm 32 now and that had to be when I was 5 or 6.

Growing up in the 'sticks, I had no library or web to turn to and one day ran into a magician who put me on to Hank Lee. I bought my first vhs video from Hank after trying to figure out what ever thing was...there was a section of Stage Magic, Parlor, Close-up, Cards, Coins. Man did I spend tons of money on crap I couldn't use.

When Ammar's series came along, here was a starting point. I bought up books by the guys whose effects I came across watching the dvd's (Vernon, Lorayne, Roy Walton...etc). I learned a lot. (Who is this guy named Vernon maybe I should check out his books) There are treasures in those books that I enjoy reading.

Then there was the Harry Lorayne videos....I did the same thing bought up tons of books (published by or the magic of) by Richard Kaufman, Lorayne, Doug Edwards, and even some guy named Derek Dingle.....yeah you know him too.

As Harry Lorayne and I have discussed before, I might be the only one who delved deeper by finding the source material (tons are in Apocolypse which I have all 4 volumes) but for one, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of learning about magic (card magic is just one area I have explored) and for two, these guys had an opportunity to sell some of the material they had put out. So if that is sad, hmmm......maybe the art of magic should close me out forever since it may be a sin in someones eyes to learn from a different method than the Greats.

I have had the pleasure to sit down with Don England (yeah I have all 3 of his books) when I lived in Illinois. I have also had the opportunity to correspond with Martin Nash and even have a playing card he signed for me on my computer desk in a frame. And to think all of this because some guy named Ammar released a vhs tape.

So I don't think its sad as long as people look beyond the material presented and actually explore the sources. What is sad is if they skip over the starting point that is brought forth.

I only use magic as a hobby and without the support of hobbiest everywhere, I know I support the publishers of the material such as Louis Falanga, Richard Kaufman, Mike Maxwell...etc. that they bring forth by buying the products produced that helps them run the businesses that they do. For that I am proud to be a part of magic. But to hear the statement made above, that makes me want to leave it completely behind and leave it to those who think this way.

Oh by the way some guy name Richard Kaufman put out a video on basic card sleights that I have and also one on the pass. So to him....Thanks Richard I got started with a few of my sleights thanks to you!!!!

AT

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » June 24th, 2008, 12:22 pm

bagelsandlox wrote:Please notice that all the revered Magcians of today ( Burton, Thompson, etc. ) learned from books, magazines and from mentors.

And if I may add they also learned from "getting out there and DOING IT"!

They did shows lots of show in front of people. The grind or doing shows is the "best" magician school in the world. It is in this school that we learn "how to use magic - to entertain an audience!"

There are two different schools - learning the craft and then learning how too use the craft too entertain people and make money!

I afraid the second school of magic of being a performer is harder to learn because it is an act of doing. And it is nowhere to be found on a DVD!

No theory - just a reality!

Just my opinion.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » June 24th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Too much is made of the method of teaching (book v. DVD) and not enough on the method of LEARNING.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Andy Moore

Postby Andy Moore » June 24th, 2008, 6:39 pm

I have a bunch of books that I acquired when I owned a magic store, and after, but I still rely on a few well worn books that just keep on giving Frank Garcia is one of my favorites. Actually, many of the books I've bought over the years only contain one effect that I use, or have used. Because I need effects that fit my stage personality. If I get one "money" effect for my act out of a book I consider it money well spent. So, by extension, if I only get one goodie off a DVD, it also is money well spent!
~ Never ask permission, only forgiveness.

Alton

Postby Alton » June 24th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote:

And if I may add they also learned from "getting out there and DOING IT"!

They did shows lots of show in front of people. The grind or doing shows is the "best" magician school in the world. It is in this school that we learn "how to use magic - to entertain an audience!"

There are two different schools - learning the craft and then learning how too use the craft too entertain people and make money!

I afraid the second school of magic of being a performer is harder to learn because it is an act of doing. And it is nowhere to be found on a DVD!

No theory - just a reality!

Just my opinion.

Brandon Hall wrote:Too much is made of the method of teaching (book v. DVD) and not enough on the method of LEARNING.

Bish your are 100% correct!

Brandon, how true that statement is.

AT

Return to “General”