Bobby Baxter back in the day?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
David Regal

Bobby Baxter back in the day?

Postby David Regal » May 7th, 2008, 11:31 am

Bobby Baxter once told me that there was video of him as a young man performing on TV floating around. Does anyone out there have it? I'd love to see it. Bobby is an original.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Bobby Baxter back in the day?

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2008, 1:09 pm

There's a videotape of him performing on Ed Sullivan.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Regal

Postby David Regal » May 7th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Where can I see it, Mr. Partial Answer?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Uh .... Bobby Baxter's apartment?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 8th, 2008, 5:21 am

I have such great memories of Bobby Baxter, whom I befriended in New York. I was talking about him a few days ago with Pat Page and we agreed he had (and probably still has) one of the funniest acts ever.

Bobby's "Standing Ovation Act" is a thing of beauty -- funny and magical.

Bobby used to call me up when I was at work and we'd spend some time either reminiscing or I'd listen to him complain about something or someone. I'd always call him "Professor Baxter" or simply "Professor", and I think he liked that.

If anyone on the Forum sees him, please send him my best regards from England.

Matt Field

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 8th, 2008, 7:17 am

Was he the MC for the World's Festival of Magic and The Occult?
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » May 8th, 2008, 7:46 am

I recall that he was the MC for one of the shows Kevin..

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 8th, 2008, 8:48 am

I thought so. When I worked at Tannen's, Irv gave me tickets to the show. Bobby was asking everyone that he needed a ticket for the show for someone, so I gave it to him. Irv flipped! His face was red as his hair. :mad: He knew Bobby had comp tickets and couldn't believe he would take them from me. Needless to say, Irv had a couple of more for me. I did get a good finger beating though. :blush:
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » May 8th, 2008, 9:18 am

I've got him doing something...somewhere. If I recall, it was on some Comedy Club type show during the Mid 80's...interested?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 8th, 2008, 9:48 am

Random encounter: About a year ago my aunt was visiting some friends in the city. Her friends were giving her a tour of the rooftop garden in their apartment complex. As they were finishing up and getting on the elevator to go down, an elderly man asked if he could get into the elevator with them, as he was nearly blind. Under his arm was a copy of Magic magazine. He explained that there was an article on him in the magazine and that he had won an award out in Hollywood. He did a few card tricks for them and talked to them for a while. My aunt said that he seemed to enjoy the company and if they hadn't had anything else to do, they probably would have stayed with him for a while.

Turns out that it was Bobby Baxter.

David, if you need to get in touch with him, I have his contact info somewhere. I had spoken to him a couple of years ago in relation to my work on Leipzig, since there was some contention about the thimble routine published in the Vernon book. Like my aunt, I got the feeling that he enjoyed having someone to talk to, and our conversation meandered in and out of main subject. Seemed like a very nice guy -- I've unfortunately never seen him perform, though I have only heard good things about him.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » May 8th, 2008, 11:09 am

In the late 70's, maybe early 80's, Ricciardi Jr had a show running in the Village. I don't recall the venue. Anyhow, one Sunday afternoon I stopped in to see it. Also on the bill was the aforementioned Bobby Baxter. I remember his act as being very, very entertaining....lots of laughs....and the audience enjoyed it. For me, however, it was a somewhat different thing. I had happened to sit in the first row and so was asked to assist. I don't recall the routine, but I stood at the side of the stage and held a hat outstretched for what seemed like 3 hours. It wasn't but that's what it felt like. I laughed also.
A funny bit that I enjoyed, but can't remember. (Like this mornings breakfast!!!)

Adrian

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 8th, 2008, 12:53 pm

I saw him work the Village Gate in NYC many moons ago and he was fantastic, and very funny.
Stay tooned.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » May 8th, 2008, 1:11 pm

What I'd be most interested in seeing are his old B&W appearances on TV, but everything's good.

IngridSpangler

Postby IngridSpangler » June 27th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Hi all,

I have the good fortune to be a neighbor and best friend to Professor Bobby Baxter. I met him about a year ago and have seen or talked to him almost every day since.

He's doing great, although is pretty much completely blind at this point. He still works, doing close up in restaurants and night clubs.

Feel free to send me any messages you'd like conveyed, I can put you in touch with Bobby, he's always happy to talk magic with anyone. Also, he has lots of tapes of his act, if you can wrangle an invitation to his apartment, he'll show you. Actually he'll make you watch them. ;)

Ingrid

Return to “General”