George Jason

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

George Jason

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2006, 6:41 pm

How many of you guys remember George? He was a brilliant magician and a great story teller, He claimed to be a white Russian after the breakup of the soviet Union. He was a very interesting guy with a great sense of humor. Do any of you older guys remember George? He tried very hard to teach me math, but decided I was too opinionated to ever accept the rules. I have not changed much in sixty years.

Re: George Jason

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Wasn't he also a concert pianist (I'm guessing ala Victor Borge)?

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2006, 12:33 pm

I find it surprising that so few of you remember George Ketalotze (a very bad attempt to spell his real name) Next to Francis Carlyle, he was the best story teller I ever had the pleasure to meet. His magic was unique and was different from every other magician I ever met. George dominated the room when he did his magic.

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2006, 4:54 am

I think that George Ketiladze was the correct spelling.

Do you recall any of the effects that he made uniquely his own?

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2006, 5:20 am

I remember his story telling skills more than his magic. The only guy I knew other than Carlyle who could have me literally rolling on the floor.

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2006, 8:45 am

I'm sorry to say that I never really knew George Jason, but had the pleasure of being with him on a few occasions, in fact, just before he died in Michigan. Couldn't agree more about his story telling prowess; a very witty and funny man. He took out a 'college' show at one time, which was very good, though, like Mr. Vernon, I don't really recall 'the trix.' We lost him far too soon.

mikehoudin
Favorite Magician: renee lavand; slydini; allen Tipton; Paul Daniels; mike cavaney;

Postby mikehoudin » August 24th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I do remember reading about george on sphonx magazine. On the picture, he is by the side of harry blackstone sr.! I heard he was very funny and i also crooses my eyes on him because i do have a photo where he is next to jay palmer... i suppose you guys never met or seen jay palmer`s bar act...?! i am doing research about it for a few years now but never found anyone that could remember much about his kettle act...
All the help on this would be apreciated

Mike

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » August 24th, 2014, 6:53 pm

So far as I know, no film or video of George Jason exists. There is an audiotape of one of his shows; I heard it back in the 1970s. However, at this point I have no recollection as to who owned that recording.

One significant legacy from Jason that is largely forgotten is the idea of MCing a magic convention show using inside gags, formatted as blackout sketches. When Jason started doing this in the 1940s, the "second banana" role was most often performed by Duke Stern. When Jason died, Stern continued the position, but opted to stay in the secondary role, and assigned the "top banana" role to a young fellow named Karrell Fox.

JimAlfredson

Postby JimAlfredson » August 24th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Just a couple of skits come to mind, used both by Jason/Stern and Stern/Fox. The usual caveat goes with them: "Ya hadda be there!" as they're hardly gut-busters when typed out. Anyone who ever saw them knows what great muggers, etc., that all three men were. One I recall involved pouring liquid from a foo can into Dixie cups, which were precariously balanced on a shoebox-cover 'tray' held by Jason, and after much byplay, and near-catastrophic spilling, the cups all tumbled from the try--empty, of course. Again, see caveat! Another favorite was the old gag, of Jason saying, "Old Dukie. He'd kill his own mother for a laugh. I say [shouting] HE'D KILL HIS OWN MOTHER FOR A LAUGH!" [shot rings out and old lady staggers on stage and reels off again] Upshot is that both men are now deaf from the gunplay, but two thimbles are produced as 'advanced hearing aids' and an entire routing is gone through with one using the aids, the other says, "What??" and aids are transferred to his ears, and the business of passing the aids back and forth, with only one of the two hearing anything (and finally splitting to one aid apiece)and I shall iterate no further. I suspect you get the picture. Repeat caveat!

Those ought to illustrate the ilk of the material they used. Really very funny, but the bulk of the laughter generated by these talented pros was due to their superior timing, and their familiarity to the audience. I knew all three men, Jason not so well, and remember them with fondness.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 25th, 2014, 2:59 am

Alex Jason
Favorite Magician: George Jason

Postby Alex Jason » January 20th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Hello,

I am the eldest son of George Jason. I found this forum and the wonderful comments about my father. I deeply appreciate reading these things. My father died of a heart attack in 1959 (in Grand Rapids, MI) when I was 11 years old. I never knew as much about his life as I wanted to so your memories about him are really treasured.

I have been a SAM member for over 20 years but I am not active. I do love magic and I have great memories of the tricks my dad would do for us at the dinner table -- and anywhere else. he was a wonderful father.

If you have any other remembrances about him, my two brothers and I would love to read them. I'm particularly interested in tracking down information about a TV drama show he once played in. It was in New York City, he played the captain of a German (I think) submarine. I remember him at home shooing me away several times as he read a script, learning his lines. And I remember seeing him on the TV in the sub but I can't find any record of this show.

Great to hear that people remember my dad. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

THANK YOU,

Alexander Jason
www.alexanderjason.com

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 21st, 2015, 1:05 am

HERE is a little biographical information about your father.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » January 21st, 2015, 1:25 am

Sorry I don't have any footage of George performing, but here he is attending one of Meyer Silberstein's Summer picnics for Magicians. He is at the 3 minute mark.

Also from this party you may find Al Flosso, Blackstone Sr., and Dai Vernon performing...check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ7GJuf3d4w

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » January 21st, 2015, 8:29 am

Wonderful footage. Thanks.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 21st, 2015, 8:40 am

Superb, Max. The titles and sound FX are great. Many thanks.

Matt Field

Alex Jason

Postby Alex Jason » January 22nd, 2015, 5:45 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:HERE is a little biographical information about your father.

Brad,

Thank you for the pages!

Alex Jason
http://www.alexanderjason.com

Alex Jason

Postby Alex Jason » January 22nd, 2015, 5:48 pm

MaxNY wrote:Sorry I don't have any footage of George performing, but here he is attending one of Meyer Silberstein's Summer picnics for Magicians. He is at the 3 minute mark.

Also from this party you may find Al Flosso, Blackstone Sr., and Dai Vernon performing...check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ7GJuf3d4w

Max.

Thank you for the great video. Very interesting. Great to see my Dad for a few moments -- and it was interesting to see Randi. (I did some work with him a few years ago revealing the phony Rev Peter Popoff.)

Thanks so much for posting the video. Real history.

Alex Jason
www.alexanderjason.com

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » April 23rd, 2021, 6:51 am

I missed this topic, which started 15 years ago, dedicated to George Jason completely. Longer than that time I have a photograph of Mr. Jason on my wall. Inscribed and Signed, “To Fred Kaps, A great artist, and a great guy. With my very best wishes and admiration. This picture was taken when I was much older. George Jason July 4/59.”

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Return to “General”