Volcano effect - large scale

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Volcano effect - large scale

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2002, 7:45 am

HELP!
I need to come up with a design for a volcanic eruption on a large scale. The volcano will stand 12 feet high (minimum) and will most likely be 12 feet wide as well.
I do not need any fire effect (not allowed) but I do need a lava flow.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to produce "lava" on a large scale?
The eruption will take place outdoors in January in Phila. so weather may be a factor. Or not, I'm not sure.
If anyone has any ideas, and would like to assist me, please e-mail me or answer directly through this forum.

I appreciate any and all assistance and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
TiJean

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Volcano effect - large scale

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 6th, 2002, 8:01 am

What was the old science-fair volcano formula? Baking soda, vinegar, and red food coloring? That stuff was pretty cool, and should work on a large scale. The only trick would be in keeping the baking soda & vinegar seperate until the moment you want the flow/eruption. You'd also have to experiment to get the timing right for it. It is nice, however, to see that you have PLENTY of time to experiment with this. It's good to know you're not planning to do it this weekend, like so many requests for help I've seen.

-Jim

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » May 6th, 2002, 11:24 am

Hi TiJean,

A link to the US Geological Survey follows:

http://giseis.alaska.edu/Input/affiliat ... lcano.html

This describes the construction of a paper volcano. Further searching within the USGS website will provide additional resources. If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to contact me (in real life I am a geologist).
All the best,
Ian

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » May 6th, 2002, 11:27 am

Sorry, I forgot to include this additional link:

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/vol ... odels.html

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2002, 7:49 am

Ian,
Thank you for the links. They are excellent! When I go to my meeting next week, I will be ready with ideas. I thank you and the Greater Kensington String Band thanks you.

Also, thank you Jim for taking the time to respond and remind me of the old H.S. days.

That's what makes this forum so great. Just ask, and someone will help. The staff of Genii should be very proud of their creation.

Indeed!

Return to “General”