Dr. Hooker's Card Rise

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Dr. Hooker's Card Rise

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2005, 1:40 am

I am looking for a description of Dr. Hooker's Card Rise.

Apparently there is one in John Booth's book 'The Art of Hocus Pocus', however, after having read that Jamy Ian Swiss described this book as 'positively awful', I am wondering if this is the right book to buy.

Is it described anywhere else?

Thanks.

Michael Edwards

Re: Dr. Hooker's Card Rise

Postby Michael Edwards » June 22nd, 2005, 3:03 am

Pallbearers Review, April 1967 contains John Mulholland's complete description; The Sphinx, January 1935, gives you a sense of its impact; Greater Magic p. 424 contains Hillard's overview; and Magic Magazine, January 1994, recounts John Gaughan's restoration and presentation at the Los Angeles Conference of Magic History.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 22nd, 2005, 4:26 am

Behold the power of searching electronically. I searched my digital versions of Hugard's Magic Monthly and The Sphinx and returned several hits on Hooker. Many are just brief notes about a Hooker performance or Hooker himself.

For example, the Sphinx Jan. 1935, does not really describe what happened, just mentions the fact that it was shown and that it was marvellous.

I found several references in Hugard's Magic Monthly.

But more interestingly there are many references in The Sphinx, starting with an add in volume 13 of "The Card March" and was for sale. The description goes "A card is selected from a pack, returned and pack shuffled, then starting from the FRONT the Cards March out of a glass goblet rising high in the air and scattering in all directions, they halt when the chosen card is reached, this with the remainder of the pack remain the glass FACING the audience." Price $5.00

The effect can be produced anywhere without an assistant is the invention of Dr. S. C. Hooker. The apparatus is produced from Dr. Hooker's model. The cards used are ordinary cards and are not threaded.

This was an add by Clyde W. Powers.

I guess there is a difference between the Card March and the Card Rise, but interestingly nevertheless.

I also found a mentioning in the Sphinx that the Card Rise was discussed in a M.U.M. issue. And my electronic search even uncovered a reference to Hooker In Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. I could go on and on.

And there are references to Hooker essentially in every Sphinx volume after that. All I wanted to show that in a few seconds one can today get this information from the digital magazine versions available.

Hugard's and the Sphinx are available from Lybrary.com. Other magazines have been published by Breese and Munari.

Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » June 22nd, 2005, 6:35 am

You may want to check with John Gaughn as he did recreate this effect several years ago at the Magic Collectors' Weekend.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2005, 6:44 am

This may be a little off topic, but John Booth's book was not awful. John Booth is one of conjuring's finest authors and any one of his books is worth having in your libary.

He was one of magic's finest performers and his career rivals that of many of the "great ones." Furthermore, he is one of the professions few remaining gentleman.

Go buy ALL of John Booth's books. You'll be gald you did.

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2005, 12:08 pm

I always regret I didn't see the Hooker Card Rise, when it was recreated for The Los Angeles Conference on Magic History, a few years ago....some said it was the highlight of their magic experience.

DITTO CRomano!
Dr. Booth is a valued resource and treasure. He is someone who has seen and lived, much of what others could only imagine...and yes, a gentleman of learning and manners, many could,(and should) learn from.
It was great to see Dr. Booth at the Collectors Weekend in Las Vegas, last April, generous, active, and gracious as always.

Giorgio, I would not waste my time listening to what Tom Arnold would have to say about a book by David McCullough or a documentary by Ken Burns.
Please read for yourself, judge for yourself, and enjoy.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 22nd, 2005, 2:12 pm

All I wanted to show that in a few seconds one can today get this information from the digital magazine versions available.[/QB]
...from me

Chris I take my hat off to you as the most blatent self-promotist and Mr K lets you get away with it!

Genius.

And may I say your 'competition' to win card college was one of the most brilliant pieces of marketing I have seen on a forum. Every day your topic was in the top ten. Every day. There isn't one person that has looked at this forum in the last few weeks that is not aware of the ebooks release. Genius.
:)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 22nd, 2005, 11:23 pm

Dr. Gene Matsuura took copius notes when John Gaughan presented the Hooker Card rise act. I don't know if he's willing to let you see them or not.

I have asked John if he will ever do it again and he seriously doubts it, as the set up and trouble to do it is enormous.

I was out of the country and missed his performance. Oh for a video! :(
Stay tooned.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 23rd, 2005, 2:08 am

mrgoat,

I think your statement is quite unfair. My post mentions two other publishers of digital magic ebooks - competitors if I may say so. My post in this thread was done entirely in the spirit of 'how wonderful and efficient ebooks are for research'. Frankly, I think that some are just not aware of this and would greatly benefit from making good use of ebooks.

Staying with the Hooker subject. I guarantee you that in the several hundred 'Hooker' hits in the Sphinx, one will find new and interesting tidbits. Who has read the Sphinx from cover to cover? I venture to say nobody alive. And even if such a person would exist, could he remember each and every mention of Hooker in every report or news item or ad? Merely the fact that Hooker is mentioned essentially in every volume starting with volume 11 of the Sphinx is probably 'a new insight'.

Chris
preserving magic one book at a time.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 23rd, 2005, 5:11 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I have asked John if he will ever do it again and he seriously doubts it, as the set up and trouble to do it is enormous.

I was out of the country and missed his performance. Oh for a video! :(
And with that, another part of our literature and legacy melts away into worthless gossip. No video? No suggestions on how to make the thing work for real performers today? May as well file it under "cute" along with Leonardo's automata from LONG AGO. At least we have the barest mention of the thing in Greater Magic to inspire us.

Not to worry though... someday somebody will find an interpretation of the basic effect that speaks to their time and make something as effective. I hope they don't let their work become another Frankenstein's monster in our culture.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » June 23rd, 2005, 7:36 am

If I am not mistaken, Angelo Carbone has taken the plot and made a superb version (Notion of Motion) which, at least, respect the original premise by allowing any named card to rise. It cannot be done, thought, under a glass cover as in Dr. Hooker version.

Richard Tremblay

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » June 23rd, 2005, 8:30 am

magic magazine ran a full article a few years back on Johns re creation.
however,I strongly suspect that much of the act is to be found within the pages of Rotterbergs clasic," new era card tricks".

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 23rd, 2005, 9:28 am

A careful examination of the photos in the Magic article will "hint" at methods used. Much may be inferred from such hints.
Jim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 23rd, 2005, 12:39 pm

Originally posted by Chris Wasshuber:
mrgoat,

you are mistaking my enthusiasm for marketing.
I am glad you make a living selling ebooks and glad you love what you do.

Damian de la Goat

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » June 23rd, 2005, 3:37 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
I am glad you make a living selling ebooks and glad you love what you do.
Christoph does not "make a living" selling ebooks. He is currently pursuing graduate studies in engineering at MIT and develops his eBooks in his spare time. I suspect it is and will long remain mostly a "labor of love" for him.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2005, 1:18 am

Originally posted by Richard Hatch:
Originally posted by mrgoat:
[b] I am glad you make a living selling ebooks and glad you love what you do.
Christoph does not "make a living" selling ebooks. He is currently pursuing graduate studies in engineering at MIT and develops his eBooks in his spare time. I suspect it is and will long remain mostly a "labor of love" for him. [/b]
I stand corrected.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 25th, 2005, 5:28 pm

As someone who has called Chris out for his marketing in the past, let me say that he is a different poster than he was two or three years ago, and I welcome his input to the forum.

While it is true one doesn't have to read many of his posts to realize he is a fan of ebooks and that he sells them, Lybrary.com is doing the magic world a great service. I hope he keeps it up (particularly his digitized magazine files).

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 5:25 pm

Many thanks to everybodywho shared some insight on this effect. I was aware of some of the references, but others, including the Sphinx, are new to me.

I will give John Booth's book a try and see if I like it and check his input on the Card Rise.

I was aware of Carbone's effect and I have been tempted to buy it. However, it does not come cheap given the very extensive workmanship involved.

Thanks again.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 25th, 2005, 7:07 am

In The Magic Circular (Magic Circle's magazine) Vol. 61, MAY 1967, No. 682, there is 4+ page article(pages 125/130) describing fully the Hooker Rising Cards. Then in the July/August 1967, pages 164 & 165 there are 3 photographs( one of Miltiades 11 floating above the table, one of the Houlette with a card rising,and the third showing the performing space with 4 tables on which stand, Miltiades, the houlette, a small box? and a large glass dome.
The articles were by John Mulholland MIMC and permission to use the material was granted by Karl Fulves.
Allen Tipton UK

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 25th, 2005, 8:58 am

Any way to get a copy of "that" Magic Circular?
Stay tooned.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 26th, 2005, 3:42 am

Sorry, Pete. The Magic Circular may only be distributed to members of The Magic Circle.

Matt Field
Editor, The Magic Circular

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 26th, 2005, 3:01 pm

I sort of still am, have a medala that says MIMC w/Gold Star.
Stay tooned.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 28th, 2005, 11:17 am

There is full page article , 'Impossibilities & Miltiades 111' on pages 47 and page 49 of the Sphinx. April 1949. Vol. XlV111 No. 2. It includes 2 pics, each one is approx. 2 inches by 2 1/2. inches. The first shows the houlette with cards suspended by 2 ribbons. The second shows Miltiades in mid flight. Notice they are both against a busy scenic backcloth. !!
HELP Please & Thank you
Does anyone please have any instructions for The Hathaway Card Rise. Need them (not to s[pread around) but to give me some more background for a revised lecture I'm giving next year to our local club on The Rising Cards.
Allen Tipton UK

sleightly

Postby sleightly » August 29th, 2005, 4:18 am

This may not be what you are looking for but...

Hathaway Sphinx Vol 42 No 2 Apr 1943, Page 29 Giant Rising Cards

Let me know if you can't locate the actual issue....

ajp

promhany

Postby promhany » August 11th, 2011, 11:06 pm

WOW!! I just discovered today that I am related to Samuel Hooker. I know that the Hookers left the UK and went to NZ (part of his family) but never thought I would be related. My mother just had a note from somebody in the UK (Hooker) and realized I was a professional magician. They said Samuel was part of my grandmothers family. To think there was a well known and respected magician in my family is great news - I think now I'm going to have to work on an amazing card rise:)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2011, 12:53 am

There are other Hooker relatives around.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

promhany

Postby promhany » August 12th, 2011, 3:41 am

Yes RIchard - it was one of those relatives who is doing the family tree and contacted my mother seeing we are part of the tree. There are some in the USA, UK and New Zealand. It was great to find out though that I was related to him.

Return to “General”