H & R Magic

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

H & R Magic

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2003, 11:05 am

Often on this board we hear horror stories of dealers failing to fo the right thing. I just wanted to take a moment and say that every time that I have dealt with H & R they have gone out of their way to make sure that I was treated well. Just recently I was looking for an old magazine and didn't know the date. They took the time to look through the covers to find the issue that I was looking for. I call that great service.

I am in no way affiliated with H &R (other than as a buyer) but cannot imagine anyone not being pleased with the service that they receive.

SamLam

Eric Rose

Re: H & R Magic

Postby Eric Rose » October 8th, 2003, 12:57 pm

I second Samuel's opinion. H&R has always been great to me and I am pleased to say I am a satisfied customer.

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2003, 1:02 pm

Me too!
-T

Sal Perrotta

Postby Sal Perrotta » October 8th, 2003, 1:08 pm

Me too! Richard Hatch is a true gentleman who loves what he does and he has an endless amount of patience.....this translates into fantastic service everytime!!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 8th, 2003, 1:26 pm

Originally posted by Sal Perrotta:
... this translates into fantastic service everytime!!
Richard Hatch is the one person I would write to with requests for books or questions about Hofzinser. I'm happy to see him participating in the community and supporting the scholarly side of our craft. Thanks Richard!
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2003, 5:00 pm

I agree. I think Dick and Charlie are the class of the magic retailing community.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 9th, 2003, 7:12 am

I'll add my praises to the others for H&R. Richard Hatch has been invaluable to me.

They are a pleasure to do business with.

Matt Field

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » October 9th, 2003, 8:16 am

Earlier last year I was in Houston on business for a couple of days. Unfortunately, my work seminar ran late and I thought I'd miss my opportunity to visit H&R. Richard, gentleman that he is, actually kept the shop open for me. Talk about feeling like a five-year old walking into FAO's for the first time. Magic nirvana!!! What an amazing treasure chest. But the most impressive aspect of H&R was Richard himself. Truly one of the nicest people in magic I've ever met.

Just this Monday I ordered "Impossibilia". I received it yesterday afternoon. Can't believe I had to wait so long!! Ha, ha, ha!!!!

Glen Guldbeck

Charles Spector

Postby Charles Spector » October 9th, 2003, 8:46 am

Everytime I have ordered on a Saturday morning I have received my books on Monday. I live in CA!!!! I don't know how they do it.

Charles Spector

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 9th, 2003, 11:03 am

Every so often I go through my library and send a few books I don't use to H&R, in trade for some more books. (The value of this strategy is for another thread!)

About three years ago I did this, and the books I ordered were a dollar less than my trade in value. I told Richard to keep the dollar.

A year and a half later I did the same thing, and when Richard emailed me to tell me how much my trade in was worth, he added the dollar he owed me.

As Mike Close would say, highly recommended.

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » October 9th, 2003, 12:16 pm

I have to weigh in with my two cents of agreement. Richard and Charlie are two of the nicest guys out there. H&R is simply the best magic dealer out there. If you're in Houston (where I used to live) and make it by the shop and happen to ask a question about a particular trick or effect, Richard can not only tell you every book it's in, but the pros and cons of each version (plus, he probably has all of them as well).
Many times I've been looking for a book and he'll give me the option of a used copy (they've always been in "new" condition) to save money.
I can't recommend H&R enough!

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » October 9th, 2003, 5:06 pm

I've only had a few transactions with H & R but in every instance, whether on e bay or a direct purchase, the service I received was first rate.
If only all dealers were as customer oriented.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Stefan Fisher

Postby Stefan Fisher » October 9th, 2003, 6:33 pm

H&R Magic is by far the best magic dealer. Amazingly fast service and so knowledgeable and helpful.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 10th, 2003, 11:05 am

H&R Magic is actually run by Mark Lewis. Hatch and Randall haven't been there for years.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » October 10th, 2003, 11:46 am

I wanted Pitt Hartlin's new book and it was on back order. When it came he shipped it to me with free shipping. That was quite a pleasant surprise!

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2003, 10:23 pm

I met Richard Hatch at the inaugural Card Clinic in NYC and he is definitely one very knowledgable and all around nice guy. I too have purchased numerous books from H & R Magic and have received nothing but great service. Charles you're right, the shipping is the fastest I've seen, I don't know how they do it!

Roberto

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » October 12th, 2003, 11:35 am

H&R Magic is actually run by Mark Lewis. Hatch and Randall haven't been there for years.
Who is Mark Lewis? I called just a few days ago and talked to Hatch about a book I was looking for. He's there all the time. This statement confuses me.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 12th, 2003, 1:51 pm

Originally posted by Rob Signs:
Who is Mark Lewis? This statement confuses me.
It's a joke, Rob.

Matt Field

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » October 12th, 2003, 4:20 pm

Thanks Matthew. That certainly explains it. I order books from them all the time and I couldn't figure out where that came from.

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » October 13th, 2003, 10:31 am

You have to know who Mark Lewis is to really appreciate that comment.

And you are right. Thee are none better than H & R
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2003, 11:11 pm

The people at H & R do their work very well. I have had great experiences with them and will continue to use them as my main magic book store. I order a copy of Five Times Five from them and they had it shipped in two days after my order half way across the country! The book was well packaged to boot. I was really pleased with their promptness and friendliness as well.

Andrew

Steve Shain

Postby Steve Shain » October 19th, 2003, 6:32 pm

Ray Banks says:
-------------
You have to know who Mark Lewis is to really appreciate that comment.
--------------

No ... You have to know who Bob Farmer is!

Steve

Terry

Postby Terry » October 20th, 2003, 9:14 am

Add me to the list of happy and shocked customers.

Ordered a book on Thursday and it was delivered on Saturday.

Anyone who can get the USPS to do their jobs that fast deserves all the business they can handle and more.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 1st, 2003, 11:16 pm

Belated thanks for the many nice comments. Though not mentioned above, we certainly make our share of mistakes too, but we do try hard to correct them when they are brought to our attention.
For those of you who have expressed concern during the last three weeks while our website was down for a maintenance update that was expected to take just a few days, the good news is that the redesigned site is now up and running and should prove much more user friendly. No doubt there are still some glitches, so feel free to explore it and help us debug them. Thanks!
www.magicbookshop.com

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 2nd, 2003, 11:25 pm

Ok, I'm impressed. I did a search to find Tubhumping and noted that my name had a hyperlink. I clicked on said link and found that you have my 1988 publication [url=http://www.magicbookshop.com/cgi-bin/warehouse/perlshop.cgi?action=psdbi&thispage=srchresults.html&ORDER_ID=285833113&temp_param1=%&temp_param2=%&temp_param3=%&temp_param4=%&temp_param5=%&temp_param6=title&temp_param7=1&temp_param8=0&temp_param9=Bill%20Duncan]"The Edge Of The Stage"[/url] in stock!?!?!?

I'd heard that H&R was the first place to look for hard to find titles but damn... I only have one copy myself. Where the heck did you get those?

seraph127

Postby seraph127 » December 3rd, 2003, 8:20 am

I remember ordering from H&R: I was looking to replace a couple of good books I lost in a house fire, so I called. The titles were in stock. I asked if they could hold off billing my credit card for a couple of days, then finalize and ship. Instead of flak, I got "Hey, no problem" and that was that. The books then just appeared at my door with blinding speed. THAT'S what I call a heckuva trick.

Which books? Funny you should ask.

Cardmagic and Cardworks.

By our very own Chief Genii.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 3rd, 2003, 12:41 pm

back before al gore invented the internet, charlie and richard used to post their used book lists starting at list #1 on dave lichtman's MAGIC! BBS . they are two of the best people on the planet and more power to them!!!
-=tabman

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2003, 7:46 pm

May I add my kudos for H&R as well?

I ordered a book from them, and they accidentally switched addresses on two identical packages. I got someone else's book, and he got mine.

When I phoned, I told him that I liked the book that I had received by mistake. I was told that I could purchase and keep it, that he had another copy that he could ship to the original customer. Then I had my intended purchase arrive in another 4 days.

Wonderful customer service, great selection, knowledgeable staff, super fast shipping. It doesn't get any better than that!

Jon

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 4th, 2003, 11:23 pm

H&R good, fire bad.

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » December 5th, 2003, 7:11 am

H&R good, fire bad.
"No, no! Fire is good, fire is our friend." (Just ask Kikuchi!) :D

And so is H&R - they are true gentlemen!

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2003, 11:44 am

H&R is great! For those interested in the same shopping experience, try Stevens Magic Emporium. Total professionals. I ordered a book, turned out it was out of stock after it was originally in stock,Mr.Stevens gave me his copy!!! How is that for customer satisfaction?!?! Called me in Canada to make sure all was ok as well.
What more could you ask for!

Return to “General”