The Perfect Retention

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Gurumeditation
Favorite Magician: silvan

Re: The Perfect Retention

Postby Gurumeditation » June 29th, 2014, 6:26 pm

I'm sorry that mrgoat, may have doubts.

I am a completely honest, the video tutorial (The Perfect Retention Vanish) is available for those who love magic, at a very fair price for the quality they offer. (only with PayPal)

I am also a buyer of equipment and accessories magical, I recently purchased the The Triple Thread Wallet by its manufacturer, paying directly. I never thought I could cheat me.

is solely and exclusively a bad thought.

Gurumeditation

http://www.thegurumeditation.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 30th, 2014, 3:50 am

The doubts I have are as follows:

A) you spammed here pretending it wasn't your site with your use of the third person when it's obvious it is your site

B) your retention is nothing new and ridiculously over priced

Try the magic cafe, they might like it.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » July 1st, 2014, 1:14 am

It's not a vanish... It's a simple false transfer. If you perform just that move as a vanish you're not doing anyone any good. Like any False Transfer it should be done as naturally and inconspicuously as possible so as to not draw attention to it. The vanish is what happens AFTER the false transfer.

As popular as the so-called ROV move is among many coin magicians today, it usually just attracts spectators' attention to the move itself and detracts from the overall effect. Anyone performing a standalone ROV move is just showing a flourish that should be invisible to the audience.

That said, the one performed on the video at the Guru link doesn’t appear to be anything special; it looks like most I have seen. I can't imagine anyone spending $25 for it. But, hey - as is often mistakenly attributed to P. T. Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute!"

Jim

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 1st, 2014, 1:48 am

J-Mac wrote:I can't imagine anyone spending $25 for it

Would you pay $25 to learn THIS ?

I would.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » July 1st, 2014, 2:54 am

To me it looks like the one on the Guru site simply tried to emulate Mickey Silver's mannerisms and technique.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 1st, 2014, 4:06 am

I'm with J-Mac and Denis on this one. It does seem to be a reverse engineering effort on Silver's technique (which remains unpublished, I believe).

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » July 1st, 2014, 4:10 am

When magicians do $h1tty magic and they're so proud of it, it's annoying.

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » July 1st, 2014, 9:47 am

The moves certainly appear to mimic Mickey Silver's amazing work.

I kinda hope Mickey never tips his work. The inevitable copycat performers who view his POV and the ploys he uses as drop-ins will be sad to watch. The moves work in Mickey's hands because they fit his playful persona; the same moves done by others would look pretentious.

Don't tip, Mickey!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 1st, 2014, 5:18 pm

Mickey uses silver dollars with steel inserts, and he has a magnet surgically embedded in his thumb.

Gurumeditation

Postby Gurumeditation » July 3rd, 2014, 8:30 am

Dear friends,
I do not want to emulate Micksy Silver, he simply performs a dazzling Retention Vanish.
Too bad we can not see it in the foreground and HD resolution, everything you need is on the Internet with old movie camera with the quality of the frame considerably lower.
This is done on purpose, of course, the only recent movie that you will find in Youtube dates back to 2 years ago lasts 8 seconds, and does not see anything.
You have to go to las vegas to see it.

Many people appreciate my retention vanish others do not, never mind.
this is a basis for handling coins, performed in many cases so bad even by professionals. (this is what it says)
The coin is visible until the last moment of the closing of the hand, like this very much.

Thank you all for your comments

Gurumeditation

www.thegurumeditation.com/coin

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » July 3rd, 2014, 8:44 am

Mr.Meditation, I live in Las Vegas. Where do I have to go to see this vanish you say you have to go to Las Vegas to see?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 3rd, 2014, 8:52 am

Gurumeditation wrote:
Many people appreciate my retention vanish others

Post a couple of testimonials from your happy customers. Happy they paid $25 to learn "your" version of one move.

I won't hold my breath.

Seriously, you'd be much better off spamming the cafe then here, we're a smart bunch who see through [censored] much quicker.

Gurumeditation

Postby Gurumeditation » July 3rd, 2014, 5:51 pm

I can understand not like it, but I have not asked anyone to buy.

I wrote in this thread because it was inherent in what I do, if you do not like it, patience.
The conversation had the perfection of retention, there is not seems perfect, I accept it, nothing else.
As I have said many like it, do not have to be here to justify, on magic cafe I've had some criticism, and I accepted, as I did here.
I do not think it is absolutely spam.

Please just look at the various versions of retention coin vanish of magicians and objectively compare them with mine.

the hand that should receive the coin is closed very early, thus alleviating the illusion.
and perform very quickly

gurumeditation

p.s. Mickey Silver Live in Las Vegas (see on Facebook)
Last edited by Gurumeditation on July 3rd, 2014, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 3rd, 2014, 6:12 pm

The best retention vanish of a coin I have seen wasn't technically a Retention Vanish but it looked far better than any Retention Vanish.

It was Goshman's throwing the coin from one hand to the other. Even magicians would swear they saw the coin travel across.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 3rd, 2014, 6:40 pm

You can buy a download of David Roth teaching a real retention vanish for $5. And sorry
Gurumeditation, it looks a lot better.

Gurumeditation

Postby Gurumeditation » July 4th, 2014, 6:44 pm

After many requests and recommendations has been lowered the price ...

in any case,

Tom…. where I can see the performance of the Retention of David Roth (an institution)?

thank you

Gurumeditation

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 4th, 2014, 7:30 pm

there are some demonstrations of the Roth and Schneider style retention pass sleights in action over on Denis Behr's site. There are trailers for the Roth videos online as well.
Among what's easily found are here: http://www.denisbehr.de/coinmagic.html
and here
http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?cat=1520

Tutorial for both approaches to the base mechanics is in print and also on video.

Mickey has been coy about discussing his particular sleights. Sadly that's just enabling and fostering more who retard the progress of our craft. The house of magic has rooms full of those who don't want to know secrets yet fuss over other people's work - many corners for the conflicted.

If you'd like to learn what's in print -
Our Gracious Host (RK) has written a fine book which describes both the Roth and Schneider sleights in text and illustration.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “General”