Patriotic Magic for America

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Oliver Corpuz

Patriotic Magic for America

Postby Oliver Corpuz » September 15th, 2001, 1:53 pm

In another post, Larry Horowitz suggested we, as magicians, try and do something positive in the wake of the terrorist acts against America and suggested doing walk around to entertain volunteers, such as those waiting in long lines to donate blood.

Following that excellent suggestion, I found that the mismade flag to be a very popular trick, stirring everyone to unite and rally together in this most difficult of times for America and the rest of the free world.

My question is, does anyone know of any other patiotic magic tricks? How about ideas on changing patter and presentation of other tricks and props to make a patriotic theme?

Please contribute your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks you.

Oliver Corpuz :)

Larry Horowitz

Re: Patriotic Magic for America

Postby Larry Horowitz » September 15th, 2001, 3:33 pm

Here's an ambitious card adaption off the cuff.
Take a blank card draw a flag or write USA on it. Then do your ambitious routine saying that America no matter how deeply buried or obstacles placed before it will always rise to the top.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 16th, 2001, 1:49 am

Patriotic Ropes:

"Performer shows three short lengths of rope, colored red, white and blue. The ropes are tied together into a long length and coiled around the performer's hand. When the knotted ropes are opened out again, they have magically blended into one long rope of red, white, and blue. The knots have completely vanished."

I guess "unity" is the most obvious tag.

Dang, I may just get the ropes out now and do the routine for myself, to see if it will make me feel any better.

Thanks for bringing this up, Larry and Oliver.

Steve H

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » September 16th, 2001, 10:04 am

There is also Sol Stone's Patriotic Poker Chips in Tarbell 7.
--Rene

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2001, 10:37 am

I truly mean no disrespect, but could we perhaps expand this thread to include suggestions for magic on a theme of peace?

I believe the multiplying candles would be both a moving and magical tribute. Unfortunately, I doubt I could get up to speed on that by this Friday; plus I don't work in a jacket or tux. Other suggestions for the small-stage/parlor setting?

--Ralph

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 17th, 2001, 2:40 pm

For the Atlanta SAM meeting last Thursday, I adapted Tom Craven's "The Hanging" routine to a patriotic theme. I believe he got the routine from Pallbearers. It's definitely in one of his sets of lecture notes.

It is a routine with cards and a length of rope which is tied into a particular knot that holds fast when the rope is pulled. After a secret move is made, then the knot collapses when the rope is tightened.

On white sticker paper, I printed color photos of President George W. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of State Colin Powell, National Security Adviser Condoleeza Rice, and a b/w photo of prime suspect Osama Bin Laden. I cut these and put them on some old cards as I didn't have any blank-facers handy.

These five cards are mixed and each of 5 spectators takes one card face down without looking at it or showing it to anyone. The rope is tied into a noose-like loop which is pulled by each volunteer. The noose will only tighten when pulled by the person holding the (marked) Osama Bin Laden card.

It's a nice standup routine and while it's not the best adaptation in the world, it was what I came up with on the spur of the moment that afternoon. I call it "The Hunters and the Hunted."

JMT

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2001, 8:08 am

Charming. On second thought, I think I willtry to get up to speed on the multiplying candles.

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 18th, 2001, 8:39 am

Sorry if I offended you. To everything there is a season -- a time for war, a time for peace. The type of routine I suggested isn't sweet, but it can be cathartic.

I'll bet people could dust off the magazines from 41-45 and find a lot of good patriotic magic with themes of war and peace.

JMT

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2001, 8:59 am

Thanks. I'm certainly not knocking flags and such, per se. The Empire State Building is currently a stirring sight, lit up in red, white, and blue. But when the show I'm in resumes this Friday, a 20 minutes' walk from ground zero, any tribute we make -- if we do any at all -- will need to be gentle and reflective.
--Ralph

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 18th, 2001, 9:35 am

I'm sure that the thematic balance must be much more delicate in NYC where you are. Prayers go with you...

God bless America,
JMT

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 18th, 2001, 9:38 am

By the way, IBM Ring 9 voted last night to do a benefit performance to raise funds for the Red Cross. We're seeking a venue today, and I've already been in contact with the local Red Cross to get the go-ahead. We expect the show to happen within 2 weeks or so.

JMT

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 8th, 2003, 2:31 am

Being Very patriotic and having family who have served along with myself I offer a American dream a misers dream with coins and at the end there is a flag made of money on the mat.
cheers
Reed

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2003, 4:41 am

Originally posted by Reed McClintock:
....and at the end there is a flag made of money on the mat.
I dread to contemplate whether the irony of this imagery is intentional or not.

(And why on earth are you resurrecting this thread?)

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 8th, 2003, 10:34 am

I did a search on the board for american and this popped up. I never even looked to see how old it was.
I thought it would be intresting either way. It is pretty sad really to see there is not much more patriotic material.
Much less magicians who could care less about this particualr topic. :)

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 8th, 2003, 2:13 pm

Since this thread started, Gordon Bean and I have put out the packet effect STARS. It can be viewed at our web site magiclaboratory.com

The ads and reviews have appeared in both Genii and Magic. Alain Nu has used this effect to entertain our elected representitives in Washington.

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 8th, 2003, 2:46 pm

Stars is a great effect I use it with great success. I dont do the routine, I use the cards with my twist and so the illusion is that the cards are changing into and american flag at the end of course is the final display. I saw Mr. Nu do it we were both working N.A.C.A I was showcasing and on the off time we did magic for eachother. His handling of stars is incredible like much of everything he does. You and Gordon have a great piece of magic to offer. I hope others see the entertainment value in it as much as those of us that have it do.
Cheers
Reed

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2003, 2:40 pm

I'm another magicians who believes that Stars will be around 40 years from now. It's a classic.

To think that there are other applications utilizing twist moves is exciting, to be sure. I never even twisted my mind in that direction! Maybe Paul Harris and Pete McCabe could put together a book of Stars variations :D

Return to “General”