What do YOU practice during a blizzard?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

What do YOU practice during a blizzard?

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2003, 7:52 am

Well, we've got about 8 to 9 inches of snow on the ground here in Washington, DC, and another foot on the way today and tonight. Nothing's open.
I'm practicing Cliff Green's material from his book ... what are you practicing today?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John LeBlanc

Re: What do YOU practice during a blizzard?

Postby John LeBlanc » February 16th, 2003, 8:00 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Well, we've got about 8 to 9 inches of snow on the ground here in Washington, DC, and another foot on the way today and tonight. Nothing's open.
I'm practicing Cliff Green's material from his book ... what are you practicing today?
What's a blizzard?

For that matter, what's snow?

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 8:42 am

Richard... I can sympathize... I'm in Ohio with about a foot on the ground and another 4" due in by tonight.

I'm catching up on my writing, the forums, and working on some new material I just got in.

(has anyone Emailed Kevin James to see if he left one of those snow machines on? :p )

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 9:04 am

Mr.Richard

I am in PA, and we expecting 2 feet. i am working on jay sankeys ear plugs i just got. They are fun, and the tape is full of great stuff.

Denny

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » February 16th, 2003, 9:16 am

Dean Dill's Blizzard.... :D

Roy McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy McIlwee » February 16th, 2003, 11:07 am

Derek Dingles'"DD on LJ's Wild Card", page 40 in the Dingle book. Clever ditching of the joker here!!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2003, 11:25 am

Since I started this thread earlier today we've had about four more inches of snow and another six to twelve inches expected before it stops tomorrow. That will make it one of the top five blizzards in Washington DC history!
My Double Lift is getting a nice workout!

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 11:31 am

The UK got a mere 2 inches of snow the other week and it brought the country to a standstill! Pathetic.

The best Blizzard of all has to be from Dean Dill :)

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » February 16th, 2003, 11:46 am

making gimmicks for a Ted Lesley effect from Paramiracles. Reviewing CoinMagic, partiularly effects of copper/silver etc.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Richard,

Here in Buffalo, we consider what you got a light dusting! Forget the magic...break out the camcorder, bundle up Ema and go make a Snowperson! That is the real magic. Oh, and don't forget the hot chocolate!

Mike...who lives in a place where snow is measured in feet...not inches

Steve V

Postby Steve V » February 16th, 2003, 1:09 pm

I've seen pictures of snow..... we have a wind chill of 63 today.
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 1:11 pm

I've seen pictures of snow..... we have a wind chill of 63 today.
Steve V

Steve...bite me :)

Mike

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2003, 1:16 pm

Now, Mike, that's not very nice! :p

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 1:26 pm

Now, Mike, that's not very nice!

I know! ;)

Mike

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » February 16th, 2003, 1:33 pm

This cold weather stuff always makes me think of
Richard Pitchford hunkered down in the trenches practicing the back palm and card fans with gloves on .

I never could get the hang of that.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 3:08 pm

Weird, but no snow here in Switzerland, at least where I live, near Geneva.

I am working on Rodent-In-A-Box (how more clever can David Regal get?) and on Slydini's Paper Balls Over the Head.

Lots of fun with these routines.

Take care and go skiing.

PS: Can't L&L put out the new Regal DVDs, I am dying to see them!

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » February 16th, 2003, 3:23 pm

The truth, I don't live in NYC, only work there. I live deep, deep in the mountains (1,200 feet above sea-level) with my lovely wife, and very little neighbors. It snowed 12 inches here on Christmas, 14 inches a couple of days past New Year's. All of that snow is still on the ground! It has not snowed one flake yet, (6:30pm), but I hear it's coming!
So, what do I do when it shows?. Stare out at the VW sized rocks in my avalanche, hoping that they don't move this season. I also sit, and pet the cat...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 16th, 2003, 3:42 pm

Six card repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 5:41 pm

Richard,
I just got your video "On the Pass" in the mail yesterday. I'll probably watch it 43 times over the next couple of days.
Thanks,
Lou

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 16th, 2003, 5:43 pm

Practiced Vernon Cups & Balls routine...took walk in 70 degree weather....had lunch on patio...

Expecting a "cold snap" tonight...probably down to the low 50s. Just awful... :p :cool:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 16th, 2003, 5:49 pm

Yo, Dave: I be practicing the Vernon Wand Spin with a fan... to help cool up, man! :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2003, 7:09 pm

Mr. Alexander knows full well that those who are smug during the discomfort of others will eventually pay a price. In David's case, I will give deep thought to creative retribution.
As for what I'm doing tonight with 2 feet of snow on the ground and 16 degrees, the wife and I are watching John Carpenter's "The Thing." The perfect movie for a snowed-in, isolated evening.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 7:10 pm

Let's just say that the Carney book got here just in time. This is a book to read, study, practice with, ETC! I thought RK was being a bit hasty when he referred to it as one of the 2 best books of the decade. Now I know that he was right on the money. I can't wait to really sink my teeth into this book, with the weather as it is, I'll have that opportunity. Mr. Carney truly outdid himself, and most other magic writers, with this work. He has set the bar very high, and anyone contemplating writing a book should hold themselves to the standard Mr. Carney has set. Of course, now you'll all think me just as hasty as our esteemed Mr. Kaufman...until your copy arrives. So to make a long story short: This is how I will happily spend my time during this blizzard, and even into the sunniest days of all. :)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 16th, 2003, 7:33 pm

Originally posted by John Blaze:
Let's just say that the Carney book got here just in time.

Of course, now you'll all think me just as hasty as our esteemed Mr. Kaufman...until your copy arrives.
Grrr...I've been mentally willing this to show up in my mailbox since I heard the books were ready. Nothing yet. Dang it! Can't these mailmen (and mailwomen) move any faster?!?

-Jim

Random thought: Does mailwoman = hermaphrodite?

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 7:44 pm

Doomo has been trying to get me to watch "The Thing" for years...too creepy for me...

Things are getting snowed in here..Southern Ohio is on Level 3 emergency: absolutely no travel except for emergency vehicles and several counties have lost power in rural areas.

Columbus might get to Level 3 tonight...

My girlfriend who lived in the Northern part of Michigan called to make fun of us Ohioans...

Tony spent the evening playing with the Paul Curry book...Always makes him thoughtful for days to come...at least until he can get the reissue of Variations. He found out he is in it...who told?!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 16th, 2003, 8:59 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
...John Carpenter's "The Thing." The perfect movie for a snowed-in, isolated evening.
I go for the William Buroughs cut-and-paste and think about things like "John Carney's The Thing" which comes in book form and starts to absorb your other routines. Kind of taking the story of "Who Goes There?" and rewriting it to "How'd he do that". Perhaps an HPLovecraft take on 'The Cylinder and Coins' would be fun?

I'll be watching "Time Bandits" while practicing my coins across. All the while dreading the driveway and cursed snow shovel. :eek:

Snowblind in the hills of Westchester,

Jonathan
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2003, 10:23 pm

All the backclip stuff, diagonal palm-shift, a couple of hours of passes, some edge grip stuff....

Best line in "The Thing":

"what is it?"
"I dunno, but it's weird and pissed off."

Best,

Geoff

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2003, 12:10 am

Hello everyone!
I'm here in NYC where we've already received a couple of inches of the white stuff (no, no man, snow!)and it's still coming down pretty hard. I'm practicing Signature Effect from Ortiz' Cardshark. I'm also skimming through The Book of John which I recently won on eBay. Jim, I feel your pain as I too have been mentally picturing Carney's new book in my mailbox! Stay warm everyone!

Roberto

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 17th, 2003, 4:47 am

When I was walking my daughter to nursery this morning she asked 'When will the snow come again?'.

I think she liked it a couple of weeks ago when I took her round on the sled...

I long to be three years old again. Less stress, fewer bills and cuddles on demand.

But to get on topic, in the sub zero sunshine I'm trawling my way through Apocolypse fusing things together and working on another pet project.

Take care, and be thankful we don't have Edinburgh's normal February weather (horizonal sleet).

Ian

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2003, 5:07 am

Enough Enough Enough !!!! :mad:
I live in Northern Ontario. Four hour drive NORTH of Toronto. NO ONE talks to me about snow storms and cold. :p
Since late November and until end of March, :( I'm working on Regal books and Malones "On The Loose" seriese of DVD's. Both of which are the best money I ever spent. Well.........besides the long underwear and snowblower of course.
Stay warm friends :)
:genii:

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2003, 5:12 am

.........so cold I tapped the "E" on my keyboard while typing "series"! I"m not kidding, its cold folks.

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » February 17th, 2003, 5:36 am

I hate winter. I can never keep my hands moisturized. A new deck of cards has the same gripping abilities as my hands do.

However, I was going to mention something about snow, until I heard about that poor guy who is 4 hours north of me... I think I will count my blessing, especially since there is more snow only 20 minutes north of me than in my backyard.

My sympathy goes out to you.

David.
David Mitchell

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » February 17th, 2003, 5:55 am

I am staring out my window with almost 3 to 4 feet of drifting snow on my driveway, a 9 month pregnant wife, due any moment, and SUV that won't go into 4 wheel drive - and I'm wondering (muttering/complaining) if the mailman will arrive today with my Book of Secrets. I need to get a grip!!

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » February 17th, 2003, 6:16 am

Strike double turnovers, over and over again; Krenzel's One-Card Middle Pass #2; classic passes, over and over again.

There's now a little layer of sleet in the middle of the big shell of snow on my yard. (20+ inches total) I do not at all look forward to the shoveling I will have to do in the next couple hours.

CardFan

Postby CardFan » February 17th, 2003, 6:32 am

I got up this morning and went to the living room to see what it's like outside. Out one window I can clearly see 14 blocks down Broadway. It's eerie to see what is normally a very busy street look so deserted...

Last night I finally got to read the March GENII from cover to cover. (Another great issue, RK.)Sadly my copy of Carney's new book hasn't arrived yet. I sat up in bed, watched Casablanca on DVD while obsessively dealing seconds...(I need a life...)

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » February 17th, 2003, 9:35 am

I live in Florida, but I will be honest. I miss, sometimes, being snowed in where it forces me to entertain myself and work out routines I have been putting off. This can be wonderfully productive.

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » February 17th, 2003, 10:15 am

I moved to Texas, in part to get away from winter weather. You fellows north of the Mason-Dixon line have my sympathies. Dress in layers, make a snowman with your kids, drink lots of hot chocolate and stay warm. While waiting for the spring thraw (just a few months away), practice the "Sidewalk Shovel" - excuse me, I mean "Shuffle"! :D

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2003, 10:52 am

I've taken a few blizzardly moments to practice a new version of my signature effect, Ralph the Unfathomable's Toilet-Paper-to-Filthy-Piece-of-String trick.

It's now been upgraded to: Ralph the Unfathomable's Toilet-Paper-to-Brightly-Colored-Piece-of-Thick-Yarn trick.

Max, you wrote: The truth, I don't live in NYC, only work there. I live...with my lovely wife, and very little neighbors.

So living in Warwick is like living in Munchkin Land?

;) Ralph

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » February 17th, 2003, 2:53 pm

Down in Southwest Virginia, we were spared the massive dumps of snow that struck just a few hours north. We got a couple of inches of sleet and ice, which has managed to completely shut down practically everything. Local malls opened late and closed early, both local universities decided to close for today, and it's been a nice day to stay indoors.

What am I doing? Reading a book on copyright (details to be posted over in Alternative Media), reading through the new issue of Genii, sorting through stuff in the magic room and deciding what to keep and what to put up on eBay, and playing with material from Constant Fooling, Pabular, and Tom Stone's wonderful release, Gravel.

On the film front, my wife and I just got the DVD for "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and I'm looking forward to watching it again with the audio commentary switched on.

It's nice to have some time at home to kick back and relax, but spring can't get here fast enough to suit me!

Jeremy

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » February 17th, 2003, 8:31 pm

Very funny Ralphy-boy! So, we recieved 30 inches in 30 hours! The driveway is almost clear. No real avalanches,(those boulders haven't moved in centuries...but I've got my eye on three of-em.
--- I tuned-up the Tux, a couple of loose buttons were keeping my pants in suspense. I spent the day doing taxes...Ralph can I write off the neighbors as "entertainment"!

Return to “General”