Project F.O.R.K.

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Dexter Cleveland

Project F.O.R.K.

Postby Dexter Cleveland » February 14th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Friends of Roger Klause... Lance Pierce and I have created Project F.O.R.K., which stands for Friends of Roger Klause. As many of you may know Roger is battling cancer and has some staggering medical bills. We thought it would be a great surprise for his friends to present him with a check for $5,000 on his upcoming birthday. Please help us do so by visiting: http://www.lancepierce.com/roger

Dexter Cleveland
Dexter Cleveland

Dexter Cleveland

Re: Project F.O.R.K.

Postby Dexter Cleveland » February 15th, 2008, 10:36 am

The donations have already started rolling in. Thanks to everyone who has chipped in. While I'm at it, I'm curious if anybody has any favorite Roger stories they would be willing to share?

Dexter Cleveland
Dexter Cleveland

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 16th, 2008, 8:27 am

At Magi-Fest, I finally got around to purchasing a copy of Roger's book, Roger Klause in Concert, by Lance Pierce. I can't even imagine what took me so long, as I have always been a big fan of Roger. Whatever, this is a fantastic 255-page hardback, beautifully written and laid out. In addition to the excellent magic, including a surprising linking ring routine in rhyme that I plan to learn, there are numerous tributes throughout the book from Roger's friends that will make you feel great if you know Roger and wish you did if you don't. There has never been a better time to buy this book.

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » February 16th, 2008, 9:28 am

Several years ago -- late 70s? early 80s? -- I met Roger at a Bro John Hamman tribute at Vianney HS where Bro. John lived/worked. After his lecture, I asked Roger about his side steal. He proceeded to make fun of how I was dressed, which admittedly was probably poor grad-student chic.
My feelings were slightly bruised, but before I could protest, he taught me the secret to his indetectable side steal, and the lesson has stayed with me to this day. Then he suggested I go change into some slacks. That lesson didn't take.

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » February 16th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Originally posted by Steve Bryant:
... There has never been a better time to buy this book.
I agree, and Stevens has the book at a very good price:

http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=625

That book is full of great magic.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 21st, 2008, 7:22 pm

I want to do more for Roger, so heres my way of doing it. Between now and March 23, 2008, the profits for each copy of my book Catching up with Milo and Roger sold through this special page will go directly to F.O.R.K. (I will send the collected funds on March 24, 2008: The deadline for the First Wave.)

Orders must be made through the PayPal buttons on this special page ONLY please!

Thanks!
Dustin

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » February 22nd, 2008, 9:03 pm

I'll pass this on to the guys at the Houston Association of Magicians. We have been collecting funds for Roger, as well.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » February 23rd, 2008, 10:19 am

I was reading myself to sleep last night with the Michael Skinner book (Classic Sampler) and stumbled upon a forgotten gem, "The Cutting Edge" (A Vernon Legacy by Roger Klause), a fine reminiscence by Roger and a nifty Vernon principle. Worth re-reading if you have this book.

In it Roger mentions four other anecdotes - "The Great Chase," "Midnight Movie," "Key-Ring Hoax," and the "Chinese Rice Faux Pas," which have yet to see print. Lance, if you know these or can get them from Roger, we would all be grateful.

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » February 25th, 2008, 8:16 am

THE MIDNIGHT MOVE

Roger writes of his first meeting with Michael Skinner in Hollywood and how they went to lunch and sessioned, losing track of the time. Michael was late returning to work and Roger was late returning to his family. Although he was worried about his job, when they got back, Michael still stopped for a moment to talk to Wanda and charm her, taking the edge off her having to wait for Roger to arrive.

Smiling, he shook her hand and said, "You must be Wanda...Roger has told me so much about you..." He charmed her so much, as a matter of fact, that even though they'd just met, Roger helped Michael move from his apartment at midnight that night. Even though he wasn't supposed to be out that late, Roger and Michael ended up sessioning all night and Roger didn't get back to his hotel until after six the next morning. Wanda never complained.

THE GREAT CHASE was an entertaining moment where Roger, Michael and Roger's life-long friend, Jerry Winn, got in one car while Vernon, Charlie Miller and Faucett Ross were in another. They were traveling from town to town and were to meet at the end of the turnpike. Well, Roger, Mike and Jerry got to the tollboth and asked if a white Cadillac had come through. The toll taker said no. Looking around, they saw no sign of Vernon, Miller and Ross, so they worried that they may have become lost on the way.

They turned around and got back on the toll road going the other direction, and a little way down, they saw the white Cadillac heading to the end of the highway they just left. So, they traveled a little way further and found a place to cross the median and turn around. Driving in their original direction now, they looked ahead to see if they could spot Vernon's car, but suddenly saw the white Cadillac on the OTHER side of the road heading back up. Vernon must have asked the toll taker if he'd seen Roger's car and the toll taker told him they'd turned around.

There was no place here for Roger to turn around, so they got to the gate again, paid the toll a second time and got back on going the other way...only to see the white Cadillac by this time had turned around across the median and STILL was on the opposite side of the road heading toward the end again. Eventually, everyone caught up with each other and managed to finish their trip.

THE KEY RING HOAX: Roger is known to sometimes play jokes on his friends, and one time he and a friend were visiting Michael Skinner in his apartment. Michael Skinner performed a very nice version of the linking rings to music for them. He showed three genuine rings, had them examined and then in the act of bending over to turn on the music, switched in other rings to do the routine. Afterwards, while turning the sound system off, he switched the rings again and tossed the three honest rings on the couch, which had a very dark fabric.

Mike then said he had to go upstairs to get ready and left the room. Roger's friend, who'd enjoyed the routine very much, also left the room for a moment. Well, Roger knew where Michael kept all his incidentals, like scissors, paper clips and whatnot, so he went to the drawer and found some black electrical tape. Taking about a 1/2 inch narrow piece, he put it on one of the rings on the couch and carefully laid them back down.

When his friend came back in the room, Roger put his fingers over his mouth and whispered excitedly, "Look! The key! It's popped open!" His friend looked down and saw a huge gap in one of the rings. Roger picked it up and said, "It's a locking one." As he handled it, he stole off the piece of tape and said, "Oh, shoot! I locked it again!"

He handed it to his friend, who searched frantically for a gap or seam...or anything. There was nothing to be found. About that time, Michael was coming back downstairs, so Roger's friend ran to the couch and set the ring down where it was, but he was dying to look at it some more, convinced that he'd just seen the most perfectly machined locking key ever manufactured.

THE CHINESE RICE FAUX PAS refers to a time Roger, Michael Skinner, Chuck Smith and a few other magicians met in Lubbock, Texas for a get-together.

At that time, a local magic enthusiast owned a Chinese restaurant, so he persuaded the group to come to his place for dinner. The owner also commissioned a local photographer to help video the magic, which would be a keepsake for him.

Well, when they arrived, they found that the owner had pulled out all the stops, bringing in all his staff and opening the restaurant at a time it would normally have been closed, serving all the magicians a beautiful seven-course meal.

One of the people eating was the photographer/videographer, a dowdy woman who never said a word and sat between Roger and Michael at the table. The staff began bringing out the food with fantastic presentations, including a huge container of rice. Roger describes it as being as big around as a bushel.

He was busy getting other food for his plate, so he passed the rice to the lady sitting next to him with the intent of getting his portion later. On the other side of this lady, Michael waited for the rice to come his way. But the lady didn't pass the container on. She just set it in front of her and started eating -- directly from the bowl. She never looked up, looked right, or looked left.

Michael glanced over at her and even exchanged looks with Roger, but being too much of a gentleman to say anything, he simply put his hands in his lap until other food came his way. Everybody passed the food around her as she sat there eating the rice, and she ate every single bit of it. Roger was astounded. There was enough rice there for ten people.

After dinner, everyone moved to another table where the restaurant owner sat while Chuck, Michael and Roger did some magic for him on camera. Roger said Chuck and Michael both did the most wonderful things, including many items he'd never seen. Roger couldn't wait to get his copy of the movie so he could enjoy and study them.

There was brilliant magic with cards and coins and handkerchiefs and balls...the session lasted the rest of the afternoon with the camera running the whole time. The dowdy rice-eating lady filmed the entire thing. The restaurant owner was excited and enthralled with the magic and spoke of his anticipation of owning the memory on video.

Later, everyone received their copies of the event. Being a professional photographer specializing in portraits, the lady did well. The camera was focused tightly on each magician -- from the shoulders up. When they moved, the camera followed them perfectly, keeping shoulders and head wonderfully framed.

For the entire length of the video, well over two and a half hours, there was not a playing card, coin or ball to be seen, although you knew they were there. There was no trace of the restaurant owner or his reactions, although you could hear him. What was there were many wonderful shots of Chuck, Michael and Roger...at least...their faces.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 25th, 2008, 8:28 am

Great stories, Lance. Thanks to both you and Roger for sharing them!

-Jim

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » February 25th, 2008, 8:59 am

Hey, I'm just a-hopin' that I got all the names and details right. :cool:

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » February 25th, 2008, 9:23 am

Thanks! Funny stuff!

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » February 25th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Thank you for those anecdotes!

--The "key ring hoax" is classic. :D

rage

Postby rage » February 25th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Great stories. Thank you.
with an N

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » February 26th, 2008, 7:49 am

I missed one detail. In The Great Chase, it wasn't Faucett Ross, but Danny Dew in the car with Vernon and Miller. In fact, it was Danny's Caddy. The clincher to the story is that after everyone got on the same page, they finally drove on and met at Roger's house in Borger and were there for several hours, but no one mentioned the chase on the turnpike. Not one word was said, as though it had never happened.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » February 26th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Fantastic items - thanks for posting them.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Dexter Cleveland

Postby Dexter Cleveland » February 27th, 2008, 8:29 am

The donations to assist Roger Klause, Project F.O.R.K., now total $4,545.
The goal is to present a check for $5,000 to Roger on March 25.
Please visit http://www.lancepierce.com/roger and give what you can.
Every little bit helps.
Thank you.
Dexter Cleveland
Dexter Cleveland

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » March 4th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Hi, Everyone,

Thanks to all your help, we've exceeded our first goal for Project F.O.R.K. and are now on the "Second Wave." You can read all about it here .

It's still ongoing, and we hope to meet our second goal by March 25.

I plan to send out communications to everyone who's helped, but it seems worthy of a little public acknowledgment as well (this list is only of those who have contributed through the F.O.R.K. web pages; it doesn't include other contributions through the S.A.M.'s Houdini Fund or other means, since we don't yet have access to that information). Our warmest gratitudes go to the following (and some of them donated more than once):

Alexander Crawford
Allan Wright
Bill Hallahan
Bob Follmer
Bob Gerdes
Bob Johnston
Brad Burt
Brad Kerwin
Brian O'Neill
Bruce Barnett
Bruce Hetzler
Carl Willat
Chad Long
Charles Affholter
Charles Weaver
Charlie Hou Jen Chang
Chuck Lehr
Clay Hallman
Daniel Smith
David Sacks
David Vujevich
David Wertman
David Williamson
Denese Zakaras
Derek Dean
Dexter Cleveland
Dorian Holderby
Ed Rosenberg
Eli Knowles
ELS
Eric Gehring
Erik Arfeuille
Gary Plants
Grant Carden
Greg Lopez
Gunnar Hopner
Haim Schlesinger
Harry Maurer
Ian Richards
Internet Solutions
Jeffrey Wessmiller
Jess Cone
Jim Short
Jim Sisti
Jimmy Molinari
Joe Turner
John Carney
John Moehring
Joseph Hanosek
Joseph Marotta
Kevin Hopkinson
Kevin Reylek
Lance Ackerman
Lawrence Davidson
Lawrence Zaslow
Mac King
Marion Tamboer
Mark Brown
Matthew Furtado
Meir Yedid
Michael Jackson
Michael Szilagyi
Michael Vance
Nicholas Maggio
Paul Cummins
Paul Rooney
Richard Hatch
Richard Lyn
Rick Hebert
Robert Bergstrom
Robert Kentner
Robert Taxin
Samuel Catoe
Scott Guinn
Shaun Robison
Stan Davis
Steve Ameden
Steve Axtell
Steve Brooks
Steve Bryant
Steve Cohen
Steven Pellegrino
Steven Steele
Terry Parrett
Thomas Fraps
Todd Robbins
Todd Ziegler
Tom Frame
Valerie Swadling
Walter Blaney
William Evans
William Ogletree
Rare Bird Press
Jason Ingram
Bob McMullen
Michael Finney
David Schreiber
Stan Sieler
David Hira
Victor Trabucco
John Dearie
Donald Pyne
Sam Teague
UMSI Incorporated

Thank you SO very much,

Lance & Dexter

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 4th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Theres still time to donate to F.O.R.K. and get a little something in return: My offer to donate all profits for each copy of my book Catching up with Milo and Roger sold through this special page runs through March 23, 2008. All profits will go directly to F.O.R.K. (I will send the collected funds on March 24, 2008: The day before the deadline for the Second Wave.)

Orders must be made through the PayPal buttons on this special page ONLY please!

Thanks!
Dustin

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » March 5th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Our magic club has sent a donation directly to Roger. We continue to post the auctions to our mailing list.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » March 17th, 2008, 1:30 pm

I have to say that Dexter and I have been pretty amazed at the responses we've received in addition to the nearly overwhelming volume of e-mails and telephone calls.

In addition to the previously named individuals, we'd also like to thank the following:

Randall Sager
Frederick Casto
RJP Southwest Inc
Sylvester the Jester
David Regal
Frank Price
Joe Stevens

Their kindness has put us into the Third Wave.

Kudos to all...we're not done yet!

Please visit Project F.O.R.K..

Cheers,

Lance

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » March 19th, 2008, 10:14 am

Today, March 19, is Roger's 70th Birthday!

Check out Brian O'Neill's YouTube channel for Roger, where he's posted a nice happy birthday video.

Happy Birthday, Roger!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 24th, 2008, 12:57 am

Howdy Gang,

Technically, today is the last day of my little "Milo & Roger for FORK" donation drive. But I am so far behind in other things that I can let this go on for another 12+ hours or so. So, you have until 8:00 PM PST on March 24 to take advantage of this offer. Remember, all profits go to FORK in YOUR name! Even if M&R aren't your thing, maybe you know someone who might like it as a gift, so please consider the offer.

Here's the special URL that must be used:

http://www.miloandroger.com/fork.html

Thanks!
Dustin

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » March 24th, 2008, 12:32 pm

Not only is today the last day to take advantage of Dustin's great offer, but tomorrow is the deadline for the Third Wave in Project F.O.R.K.. Tomorrow night, we transfer the funds collected so far and present them to Roger and Wanda this weekend.

In addition to those we've already mentioned, we also thank very much the following:

Curtis Miles
Gerry Petryk
Enrico C. Varella
Lee Freed
Peter Studebaker
Leonard Hevia
Robert Tucker
Paul Gertner

Thanks everyone, but don't stop now! Go here and here.

Best,

Lance

Return to “General”