October Issue--with Dan and Dave Buck

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: October Issue--with Dan and Dave Buck

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2003, 7:23 pm

Yes, Shaun, you are missing something. You've taken two posts from different threads, written years apart, and pasted them one atop the other.
The point in the recent upper post was that I have, on several recent occasions, seen the Buck brothers do great magic that mixed their love of flourishes with actual effects. They were performing magic with flourishes in it.
The point in the older, lower post was that at the MagicLive convention, the Buck brothers sat and looked down at their hands and did nothing but flourishes as a performance. They neither looked at nor interacted with the audience. And they did nothing I would consider magic. I thought it was lousy. I still think it was lousy, however in the intervening period I have learned that there is much more to them and their work than was evident at the MagicLive convention.
All of this is explained in the issue of Genii on which they appear on the cover.
Besides, why don't you subscribe and save yourself some money? :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

George Olson

Postby George Olson » October 7th, 2003, 8:08 pm

"Collectors"

Is it me or is there something missing in the explanation for this adaptation.

First: The "set-up" seems okay, but appears to leave out a cut to bring the "aces to the center" Look at illustration one; the aces and selections appear to be in the lower third of the deck.

But if you read the instructions in the third paragraph under WHAT, the discription would place the cards (aces and selections) at the bottom???

Check illustration four; it appears that the selections ar in the center again, but the discription states "...The right thumb now riffles two cards..."

Impossible to do with them on the bottom...???

Any corrections?

Thanks,

(An OLD dog trying to learn a "new" trick, 'cause when I grow up =;o} I want to be a "flinger fricker" too.)

GO :help:

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2003, 8:39 pm

George, this was addressed earlier in the thread. There is a cut missing in the description.
(You have no idea how I hate when this happens!)
Check the beginning of the thread for additional information.

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2003, 10:06 pm

I agree with Shaun and several others. Richard is also correct about Magic Live. The Bucks were AWFUL!! I was there and thought that the cuts were ok....for about 10 seconds, then I was wondering if they were going to do something else. :mad: But I guess they were just showing what they learned from Brian Tudor, and that they could do his moves decently(but not as good as Brian) and completely lost focus. Cuts cuts cuts cuts cuts... It is about the audience, not amusing yourself. I'm sure they have grown up some since then(I hope), and will learn more about presentation and connecting with the audience as time goes on. I also hope that they start doing truly original material as most all of anything they do is borrowed from someone else(who do it much better than the Bucks). It would be refreshing! And something other than the old and stale sbyil cuts and 4 ace productions would be nice also.

I'm not sure this is the place for a flourish/magic debate. So I won't go there...I'm sure there are thousands of places for that.

Is Simon going to be on the cover yet???? ;)

Mark

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2003, 7:25 pm

Leeman:

I am sick of you taking a jab or swipe at the Buck Bros. every chance you get, often only to prop up your obvious favorite flourishers. It's not a competition, although you keep making it so.

Additionally, I thoroughly disagree with virtually all of your assessments and conclusions, specifically that the Bucks somehow have "ripped off" Brian Tudor, performing his moves poorly, and somehow they are bereft of any original ideas.

I have seen the Bucks many times, and Brian Tudor as well, and know for a fact the opinions you so strongly insist on sharing are unadulterated codswallop. They perform Brian's moves as well as anyone, and you simply reveal your ignorance every time you suggest they have not invented anything new.

--Randy Campbell

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2003, 8:17 pm

Yeah right....LOL

I agree that Simon L. Would be AWESOME on the cover! Is it going to happen? Or BoBo? Can't wait for the next issue!

Mark

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » October 8th, 2003, 11:05 pm

Originally posted by Randy Campbell:
Leeman:

I am sick of you taking a jab or swipe at the Buck Bros. every chance you get, often only to prop up your obvious favorite flourishers. It's not a competition, although you keep making it so.

Additionally, I thoroughly disagree with virtually all of your assessments and conclusions, specifically that the Bucks somehow have "ripped off" Brian Tudor, performing his moves poorly, and somehow they are bereft of any original ideas.

I have seen the Bucks many times, and Brian Tudor as well, and know for a fact the opinions you so strongly insist on sharing are unadulterated codswallop. They perform Brian's moves as well as anyone, and you simply reveal your ignorance every time you suggest they have not invented anything new.

--Randy Campbell
Exactly!!!

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2003, 1:49 am

Well, I am very new here and I was just reading round. Sorry it used so much hub-bub! Richard, I will be subscribing soon, when I have the spare cash! Just bought 3 of your books ;)

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2003, 1:50 am

Also, I did some searching and found www.dananddave.com should anyone want to look at there videos. Very talented young men!

George Olson

Postby George Olson » October 9th, 2003, 7:14 am

Thanks Richard!

GO

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2003, 6:22 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Rubel:
Originally posted by Randy Campbell:
[b] Leeman:

the Bucks somehow have "ripped off" Brian Tudor, performing his moves poorly, and somehow they are bereft of any original ideas.

--Randy Campbell
Exactly!!! [/b]
Everyone is entitled to their oppinion.

Mark

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2003, 6:15 am

My only point was that there are more worthy people to put in Genii, and more deserving. Simon should have been in there a long time ago.

As for flourishes/magic, why wasn't the people that the Bucks copied in it? TG Murphy, and Tudor? Is this not encouraging posers everywhere? I can do Tudors moves also pretty good, can I be on the cover?

Mark

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2003, 8:14 am

If (total) originality was a requirement to be on a magazine cover, Genii would have run out of 'cover' magi lonnnnnnng ago.

Plus...

IMO: any article written by Chris Kenner (and presented with his artistic style) makes the 'subject' cover-worthy.

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2003, 9:18 am

Good point! Chris K and Genii can make anyone look good! Now how about Simon?

Mark

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2003, 10:27 am

I wasn't 'point'ing out that Chris K. / Genii made them "look good." I was just suggesting that any article (designed) by Kenner has the potential to be cover-worthy... especially when the subject is a UNIQUE set of magi such as the Buck twins (or did I miss the recent flood of twins that do superflourishes (even a few original ones ;) )

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 16th, 2003, 6:58 am

As for covers, I would LOVE to see the following:

Fred Kaps
Ken Brooke
John Ramsay
Juan Tamariz
Jay Scott Berry
Jamy Ian Swiss
Bill Goldman
Larry Jennings
Chris Kenner
Bob Kohler
Bob Fitch
Erdnase
Eddie Fechter
Sid Fleischman
Francis Carlyle
Bert Allerton
John Scarne
Homer Liwag
John Carney

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 16th, 2003, 7:07 am

Oh, and definitely Peter Samelson

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2003, 7:09 am

Joel Bauer
David Roth
Ken Krenzel
Juan Tamariz (again)
Ascanio
Al Goshman
Salvano
Wesley James
Rick Thomas

George Olson

Postby George Olson » October 16th, 2003, 7:57 am

Doc Eason
Stan Kramien
Pete Biro
Stephen Minch
A combined cover of the Chicago "Gang"
Bert Allerton
Ed Marlo
Johnny Platt
Jim Ryan
Matt Schulien
Jim Sherman
Herman Homar
Vic Torsberg
Joe Berg
Frank Everhart
Johnny Paul
Gali Gali
et al
The birthplace of restaurant and bar magic in the 40's and 50's.

GO

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 16th, 2003, 9:12 am

Originally posted by Nathan Coe Marsh:
Oh, and definitely Peter Samelson
Let me add my vote to that. He is one of the best performers in magic. His book is one of the best on close-up magic I've seen. Really solid material, and a lot to be learned about performing magic. Too bad that he's not really performing much anymore.

-Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 16th, 2003, 9:23 am

Richard: Why don't you do like one of the British Auto magazines.... they SELL the cover.

The magician that wants on just sends you a big check with the story.

:p I'll go Twenty Bucks! :p
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2003, 10:44 am

Pete, it'll be $20,000 if you want to be on the cover of Genii. :) Ha!
Seriously, a number of the people mentioned in the preceding posts have ALREADY been the subject of cover stories in Genii.
In fact, I did a cover story on Juan Tamariz just a year or so ago on his 60th birthday, written by Roberto Giobbi! A red cover ... some unpublished tricks by Tamariz ... is anyone out there?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 16th, 2003, 11:50 am

Stephen Minch had a nice cover story under Erika's editorship. (I think it only cost him dinner.)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 16th, 2003, 1:58 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
In fact, I did a cover story on Juan Tamariz just a year or so ago on his 60th birthday, written by Roberto Giobbi! A red cover ... some unpublished tricks by Tamariz ... is anyone out there?
I remember! There was a nice presentation for the center tear in there!

-Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 16th, 2003, 2:29 pm

Check for 20K is on the way.... :whack:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2003, 5:38 pm

From what I can gather Dan and Dave are nice guys and EXTREMELY talented. I laugh everytime someone says they ripped off another flourish artist. Man I really need to subcribe to Genii. Arg...

Andrew

Return to “General”