Fred Kaps on DVD

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jerry Harrell

Fred Kaps on DVD

Postby Jerry Harrell » March 26th, 2004, 8:40 am

Can some knowledgeable techie on this site give me some advice please? I was all set to order the new Fred Kaps DVD from their website (www.fredkapsdvd.com) when I realized I could not find any indication whether the television format was NTSC or the European standard PAL. I just wanted to make sure the footage of my magical hero would play on my American television. Perhaps with a DVD this is not an issue, but I thought I'd ask. I tried to e-mail Mr Koornwinder directly but his e-mail address on the forum does not seem to work. Any help for this luddite would be appreciated. Thanks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Fred Kaps on DVD

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2004, 9:36 am

Hi Jerry, we've had this discussion before regarding various DVDs.
The NTSC/PAL system thing will not be a problem if you are going to play the DVD on your computer. Your computer will play both systems, but the DVD deck attached to your TV will not. (Unless it's an all system player, which is unlikely unless it's a cheap APEX from China.)
The next problem is regional encoding. Even if you can play a PAL disc on your computer, many computers will block play because of regional encoding. The US is region 1, the UK is region 2. Smart DVD makers can produce their product as region 0, which means region free.
There is NO information regarding the Kaps DVD on the website, and so it is impossible to tell who will be be able to play the disc.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 26th, 2004, 3:21 pm

Kaps DVD is NTSC. I just got this straight from the producer in Holland, who also said it is fully compatible in the USA.
Stay tooned.

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » March 26th, 2004, 4:14 pm

Thanks for your help, gentlemen.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2004, 4:31 pm

Pete, is the DVD region 0 or region 1?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 26th, 2004, 5:13 pm

I don't know region from schmegion... she just said it was made so all in the USA can use it.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2004, 4:02 am

I think it's region 0. When I checked it, it says region 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. So it plays everywhere.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » March 27th, 2004, 12:29 pm

Has anyone figured out how to purchase this from the U.S.A? I do not see any link on the site to make email contact either.
Michael Kamen

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » March 27th, 2004, 2:37 pm

If you click on the DVD with 39 euros on it you will be taken to another screen which allows to post worldwide. However I am not sure if this site is secure? Can anyone confirm if this site is secure?
Best John

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Bo Jonsson

Postby Bo Jonsson » March 28th, 2004, 2:12 am

I ordered the Kaps DVD yesterday and is very eager to get it.

Can anyone who already has the DVD (Pete Biro?) confirm if the long film sequence in colour showing the complete classic Fred Kaps stage act that ended the lecture in FISM/Haag is included?

If so, this must be the DVD of the century!

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » March 28th, 2004, 7:46 am

Hello Bo, you will find some more details about the contents of the DVD from Martin Theuns in the BUZZ section of the forum. Mr Kaps has managed to get posted all over the forum; you will find him in Alternative Media as well.

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » March 28th, 2004, 7:48 am

Nope wrong. Not alternative media, Link Watch.

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2004, 9:34 am

Originally posted by John McDonald:
If you click on the DVD with 39 euros on it you will be taken to another screen which allows to post worldwide. However I am not sure if this site is secure? Can anyone confirm if this site is secure?
Right-clicking with your mouse on the Fred Kaps site page, and selecting 'Properties' shows the security encoding to be 128-bit John.

HTH

PS Many thanks to Mr Biro and Mr Koornwinder for bringing us the genius of Fred Kaps on DVD.

best, Graham

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » March 28th, 2004, 10:45 am

Thanks Graham, just ordered my copy.
Best John

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 28th, 2004, 11:46 am

99.99999% of the thanks to Dick Koornwinder, who has been working FOR YEARS to produce this DVD.

I (eagerly) await my copy.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 28th, 2004, 11:47 am

CORRECTION 110% of the Credit to Koornwinder.
Stay tooned.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » March 28th, 2004, 5:26 pm

Thanks Pete. Thank you very Dutch. BTW you know Pete is always exaggerating. Almost every question about the Fred Kaps DVD has already been answered. Let me tell you one more time the DVD is completely NTSC compatible and can be played all over the world on any DVD player. In an early state of the project we have realized we couldnt afford us to make any mistake about the compatibility of the DVD.
Of course I can give a review of the DVD but I dont do it. Im not objective. Yes, Bo Jonsson, the long film sequence in color showing the complete classic stage act that ended the lecture during FISM is included and much more. The running time is 104 minutes. You can find a clip of the prize winning act during FISM61 on the site www.fredkapsdvd.com . A lot of people have sent me personal messages with questions. I do my best to answer those questions ASAP.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 29th, 2004, 8:08 am

Mr Koornwinder -- I just placed my order. I am very happy that you have produced this DVD. Seeing Fred Kaps in action has been one of the most awaited magical experiences for me.

Matt Field

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » March 29th, 2004, 8:51 am

Mr Koornwinder,
Is your site secure?

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » March 30th, 2004, 6:02 am

Last August Philppe Nol wrote: let's hope that video clips of Kaps will be available in a near future. Well Mr. Nol there is now a DVD with a lot of clips and Im sure you will like every minute of the 104 minutes.
I assure you the site is completely secure. A few postings back Graham Nichols has described how you can check that.

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » March 30th, 2004, 7:15 am

Mr Koornwinder,

On behalf of a lot of people like myself who got serious about the art of magic after seeing Mr Kaps' extraordinary work for the first time (in my case it was his performance on that Ed Sullivan show with the Beatles which has been so maligned on this site lately), please let me thank you for presenting this collection of material to us. I was happy to submit my order and am excited about the pending arrival. Bravo!

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » March 30th, 2004, 9:25 am

Mr. Koornwinder,

Please disregard the email I sent you -- I was able to place my order on your website after all. Thank you for this offering. I am among those for whom the Fred Kaps performance on Ed Sullivan was a memorable and motivating experience.

Michael
Michael Kamen

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » March 30th, 2004, 10:35 am

I seem to remember him doing a levitating cork routine on the Parkinson show. I hope this is on.
Best
John
Best John

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 31st, 2004, 3:47 pm

Just did a fast "look through" of the Kaps DVD and after all the years of seeing Kaps videos, etc. what amazed me was how much was on this DVD that I had NEVER SEEN.

It is truly an amazing portrait of an all around, allways magical man.
Stay tooned.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » March 31st, 2004, 11:30 pm

I still have a very vivid memory of Kaps' performance of the floating cork on the Parkinson show, even though it must have been almost 30 years ago. I remember being completely in awe of it. He may also have done the 11 bill repeat trick and/or the salt pour, but it was the cork that really stood out to me at that time.

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2004, 2:57 am

Originally posted by John McDonald:
I seem to remember him doing a levitating cork routine on the Parkinson show. I hope this is on.
Best
John
John, This appears of John Fisher's excellent Heros of Magic, with Mike Vincent providing the 'talking head' links. I'm hoping that Pete Biro's excellent 'Ring on glass stem', which Fred also performed on the same Parkinson show is shown. It fooled the wee out of me. Mr Biro, you really are a devious rascal. :)

best, Graham

David Britland

Postby David Britland » April 1st, 2004, 5:32 am

Hi Graham

I don't think Kaps performed the ring routine on The Parkinson Show though he did perform Chink a Chink and a wonderful silver/copper transposition that finished with four Chinese coins. The ring to glass stem routine may have been featured on The Fred Kaps Magic Show, a special produced for the BBC by John Fisher.

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2004, 7:44 am

Originally posted by David Britland:
Hi Graham

I don't think Kaps performed the ring routine on The Parkinson Show though he did perform Chink a Chink and a wonderful silver/copper transposition that finished with four Chinese coins. The ring to glass stem routine may have been featured on The Fred Kaps Magic Show, a special produced for the BBC by John Fisher.
Hi David,

You're communicating here with a guy who can't remember what he had for his breakfast, let alone 30 years ago. :)

Thanks for setting the record straight.

best, Graham

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 1st, 2004, 9:10 am

I have NOT had time to go over all the segments on the DVD, but so far no cork no ring on glass. I would guess that they were unable to attain (or afford) to pay the rights.

I do know that for one of the Kaps appearances on the Sullivan show the owners of the shows supposedly wanted over $10,000.00 for the few minutes of his act.

What I have seen, tho, (and I hope to look at the rest today) includes many very interesting non-tv appearances in his later days, but many what were likely in Holland when he was younger.

Some funny things with him playing poker, doing dice stacking, acting as a waiter producing things for the diner, as a Naval Officer producing money, a fairytale sequence with children doing multiplying bubbles... and of course the convention act as we know it.

No lessons, but that is ok by me, what is preserved is his amazing showmanship, style, personality, etc.

Historians must have this DVD.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2004, 2:22 am

Just received mine today, and sneaked a quick look during my morning break. This is great stuff and I highly recommend it to anyone currently sat on the fence. I think that much can be learned for observing Fred's wonderful presentation and connection with an audience.

$10,000 for a clip? It's a shame that the greed of some confines many gems like this to live out their remaining days in vaults, unseen.

best, Graham

PS Was it Stan Laurel who also smoked his thumb as a sight gag, or am I confusing this with his lit thumb routine?

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2004, 7:13 am

I recently rented a DVD from the local video store. It was The Best of Ed Sullivan with the Beatles. Fred Kaps does The Homing Card and the Salt Pour.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » April 2nd, 2004, 1:49 pm

Stan Laurel did both. I may be wrong but off the top of my head, he lit his thumb in "Way out West' and smoked his thumb in 'Blockheads."
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 3rd, 2004, 9:15 am

The first known smoking thumb was in a Laurel and Hardy film.

The first known magician to do so was Ade Duval. (I don't think his method has been tipped).

When Kaps died he had two gimmicks for his smoking thumb effect. He willed them to myself and Tom Mullica.

The closest performer I have seen to Kaps' skill and handling is currently James Dimmare. James does it proud.
Stay tooned.

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » April 8th, 2004, 4:39 am

I have just watched the DVD and I am very impressed by the variety of magic it contains.
I also did not know that kaps had been on tv so many times. This DVD contains mostly footages that I had never seen. Seeing this DVD makes me believe that he was able to do everything extremely well.
I really hope there will be a second DVD.
Thank you Dick Koornwinder for your efforts.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2004, 10:06 am

As much video and film that I had already seen, it was amazing to me how much MORE there was on Kaps... and there is even much, much, more... The reason you don't see it is the RIGHTS to the footage are very expensive to obtain for commercial use.
Stay tooned.

Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Mark Jensen » April 8th, 2004, 10:23 am

I am looking forward to receiving the DVD.

A question: A few years ago I saw a film of a young Fred sitting at a desk. He would read a trick description in a magic book, then perform the trick and show how it was done.

Is this on the DVD or does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Mark

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2004, 2:13 pm

The Kaps reading the book series was produced by the late Max Mindlin, a Dutchman and close friend of Kaps.

There were two films (not video tapes, but film) made and some of the material has circulated on tape privately here and there.

I will see if I can contact the family and find out if they still have copies and if they are interested in marketing via DVD.
Stay tooned.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » April 8th, 2004, 2:31 pm

The quality of Fred Kapps performances are just awesome. The man had a very disarming and engaging personality which just proves the old Goshman motto - the magic is you.

I Love this DVD Thank you for producing it and can you release Fred Kaps 2 the sequel soon..... :D
Best John

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » April 8th, 2004, 4:12 pm

I tried to order this online and I couldn't get it to let me ship outside of Europe.

I've emailed Mr. Koornwinder, but in case he checks here first...

Please email me so I can order this DVD.

Joe M. Turner
jmturner@mindspring.com

Return to “General”