Alan Alan ???

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Ira Rush

Alan Alan ???

Postby Ira Rush » April 15th, 2003, 6:24 am

This topic was actually started as a result of a topic in the "Close Up" forum and some research that I was doing.

Anyway, does anyone know if Harry Stanley, the publisher of "The Gen" and a magic shop dealer in London,worked with Alan Alan.

The reason I ask is that in some of his "Review" columns in "The Gen", he (Harry)refers to "Alan", no last name just Alan.

Two particular effects he refers to in one particular issue are "Freely Chosen Signed Card in Sealed Envelope in Sealed Wallet" and "Borrowed Treasury Note in Sealed Envelope in Sealed Wallet".

Were these Alan Alan's effects ?

If not his work, they do sound interesting enough to find out whose they were.

Unfortunately, my collection of the "printed" version of "The Gen" is down to three or four as over the years they were either damaged or lost(maybe that will get me to get the digital version) so I am eager to find out if these were Alan Alan's work and if so, is the shop that Harry Stanley ran still around?

Any information would be appreciated,Thanks

Pete Biro

Re: Alan Alan ???

Postby Pete Biro » April 15th, 2003, 7:24 am

Alan Alan, a great escape artist, injured (head injury) when he fell in a Circus doing upside down straitjacket escape, was fit and well last time I was with him.

He worked for Stanley for awhile doing demonstrations. The card in wallet and burnt note were Seabrooke's, but Alan demonstrated them to me.

He fooled me with his handling of getting card into the wallet by not palming, but he put the deck behind his back and stuck the card up under his coat, then loaded it later.

He is a clever guy.
Stay tooned.

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » April 15th, 2003, 7:39 am

Pete,

Thank you for the information, much appreciated !

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » April 15th, 2003, 8:46 am

Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio is no longer around. I'm a bit hazy on this, and others are far better qualified to comment on the actual history than me, but I believe Supreme Magic had the rights to and reprinted many of his books. A lot of the adverts in my first International Magic Studio catalogue (1977) looked very similar to adverts that appeared in the Gen, and I think even their logo was similar. If memory serves, Alan Alan's "Dual Control" or "Mesmer" effect was sold by both Harry Stanley and International.

Hopefully someone can provide more definite information, but if not then maybe this will be of some help.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » April 15th, 2003, 9:08 am

Pete,
What a devious idea. Thank you for sharing!
Michael
Michael Kamen

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » April 15th, 2003, 1:35 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
[.

He fooled me with his handling of getting card into the wallet by not palming, but he put the deck behind his back and stuck the card up under his coat, then loaded it later.

He is a clever guy.[/QB]
If memory serves, Al Koran had a gaffus that did the same thing. Put the cards behind your back and the "pull",if you could call it that,would load the card up under your arm. It's really a great idea and when done on the offbeat, it's a fooler.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :cool:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 15th, 2003, 2:10 pm

Koran's was a mechanical set up with an elestic to pull the wallet up to your armpit.

Alan's method was just to shove the card up under coat into armpit area.
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 15th, 2003, 3:21 pm

I learned this about 30 years ago. The way I learned it was, you took your wallet and stuck in in your waitband at the back. Then you took the deck behind your back, to find the card by feel (etc.).

Back there you put the card into the wallet and tucked the wallet up under your arm.

In the right circumstances this is quite the killer.

Of course, Pete Biro has another method of pulling a selection out of his left breast pocket without no palming and nothing behind the back. I caught it on the video I was duping for the Castle, which includes a lecture Pete gave at a convention in Japan.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » April 15th, 2003, 4:49 pm

Koran's was a mechanical set up with an elestic to pull the wallet up to your armpit.

Alan's method was just to shove the card up under coat into armpit area.
Thanks for the clarification Pete.The old memory ain't what it used to be.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

themaestro

Postby themaestro » April 15th, 2003, 5:30 pm

The card in wallet and burnt note were Seabrooke's....
That's not what it sounds like from SEABROOKE'S BOOK. Talking about Harry Stanley he says, "I will be forever grateful to Harry for steering me onto his signed card in wallet which included the note in wallet as part of the routine."

Nowlin Craver

themaestro

Postby themaestro » April 15th, 2003, 5:39 pm

Originally posted by Edwin Corrie:
Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio is no longer around. I'm a bit hazy on this, and others are far better qualified to comment on the actual history than me, but I believe Supreme Magic had the rights to and reprinted many of his books..
Don't know about the rest, but in SEABROOKE'S BOOK, he says the manufacturing rights to the card/note in wallet went to Repro Magic Company.

Nowlin Craver

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 15th, 2003, 7:13 pm

The wallet, was marketed by Unique, but Seabrooke BUILT the routine. As you all know, Terry took a basic item and made a signature piece that took him 'round the world.
Stay tooned.

Return to “General”