I don't come here to see what's on eBay

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

I don't come here to see what's on eBay

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2004, 7:35 pm

Richard,

Is there any way that you can charge a nominal, (maybe a $1 fee) to use this board to attract people to eBay?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: I don't come here to see what's on eBay

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 1st, 2004, 10:30 pm

Gary,

First, I moved your topic to the General Forum because people dont go to the Collectors Marketplace to read posts complaining about what is found in the Collectors Marketplace.

Second: To answer your question, we have been through this before, and the answer is not right now. Ebay posts are currently accepted and will remain so until Richard decides otherwise, though I dont see that happening; at least not right away. While there are certainly exceptions, many of those who post eBay notices make note of it in their subject line (and its greatly appreciated), which gives you the opportunity to ignore them. Most of the eBay notices are worthwhile and appreciated by quite a few of our membersincluding those posted by Richard Kaufman.

Dustin

magicam

Postby magicam » October 2nd, 2004, 12:12 am

Dustin: Some time ago there was discussion of what to do with commercial posts. I think it's pretty nifty that people can advertise for free on this board. Ive done it with my book. But is there a simple programming fix which could eliminate all Collectors Marketplace posts from the Genii home page? Sometimes it looks like nothing but a marketplace on the home page, which tends to mask some of the good, non-commercial exchanges going on in GF. Clay

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 2nd, 2004, 10:02 am

I recall asking our intrepid, hardworking (hard-studying) Berkeley-attending webmaster if there was a way that we could take the Marketplace posts off of the "Active" list (and I think that's what you are talking about, vs. the actual "Homepage," which only has the main forum links with the most current subject featured for each). I don't recall receiving an answer (it must have been spring break and Brad was trying to get onto one of those "Wild on..." videos) or if Richard vetoed the idea. I will bring it up again because I think it's a good idea.

I just re-read my post to Gary and I see that it came off a bit harsh. Sorry Gary; that was not really my intention. Its been a loooooong week! But rest assured, most of the feedback we get is actually positive in regard to the eBay notices, but I do think we can find a happy medium.

Dustin

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » October 2nd, 2004, 10:11 am

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
But rest assured, most of the feedback we get is actually positive in regard to the eBay notices, but I do think we can find a happy medium.
Just as there is a rule about including a price on items for sale, I believe it would be equally helpful to have a hard and fast rule that if your post is about an auction, to include FA: in the subject line. I know I'd appreciate that.

John LeBlanc

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » October 2nd, 2004, 10:28 am

I don't see this as a problem.

There are a lot of things on this forum that I don't come here to see. I simply skip over them.

I don't read every post on the forum. All you have to do is look for the word "eBay" in a listing and not click on it.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 2nd, 2004, 10:59 am

And that, Bill, is pretty much the consensus. However, I do know that Richard does occasionally get turned off by the volume of ad postings. Sometimes, when you go to the active list, they dominate. Thats why I think the medium is to (if we can) keep them out of the active list, but of course they would still be listed in the CM forum (again, I dont know if thats even a possibility).

We do appreciate it very much when folks add eBay (or whatever) to the subject line of their auction posts. I think its a terrific service and courtesy to our fellow members. However, I am not going to spend a boatload of my time emailing those who do not do it reminders; Sorry John, I just dont have that kind of time and neither does Richard nor Jon. By the way, Im an idiot: what does FA mean? F-ing Auction?

Dustin

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » October 2nd, 2004, 11:16 am

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
By the way, Im an idiot: what does FA mean? F-ing Auction?
That's how I read it in my head sometimes, but generally "FA:" stands for "For Auction."

John LeBlanc

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » October 2nd, 2004, 11:50 am

Call me simplistic, but wouldn't it just be easier to put "Stuff on ebay" or "Stuff on Martinka" in the title. Oh, wait, that's what people do already! (Robert slaps himself on the forehead.)

Wait wait, maybe we should use a magic square or bible code or something which when decoded identifies the post as being from an auction? Or maybe sign language? Binary? Maybe we need something like that metal plaque they sent out on the Mars probe years ago with a combination of chemistry, physics and other symbols so that any aliens who read the board could determine the posting was an item for auction? :)

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2004, 1:27 pm

I got burnt once from John Christofer. I'll not do it again. At least eBay has some protection for buyers. So I'll only look at items that so say they are on eBay. Tom

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 2nd, 2004, 1:54 pm

Tom,

You paid by Paypal, right? Did you get your money back? If no, Ebay screwed you too. I bought and sold items here and never had a problem.

Hope you get your problem starightened out.

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Jake Austin

Postby Jake Austin » October 2nd, 2004, 2:18 pm

I agree with Gary. Thumbs down on all the advertising posts from people selling their stuff elsewhere.

Also, I don't believe stating a starting bid (not the actual cost) complies with "you MUST price any item you sell".

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » October 2nd, 2004, 2:23 pm

I just skip over them. They don't bother me.

Something else everyone might want to consider.

If an item is sold here on the Genii forum, the buyer could do a service to all by posting a reply to the original message with feedback on how the transaction went. (Similar to ebay feedback). That way other buyers can search the genii forum to see how good or bad the buyer has been on previous sales.

Just a thought,
Joe
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » October 2nd, 2004, 2:48 pm

Sigh, this has been gone over before at least twice in the short time I've been here. Richard Kaufman does not mind if we post referrals to ebay auctions in the Collectors Marketplace (as long as it's not some guy running a whole magic shop out of his garage and spamming the boards, presumably). Perhaps if you search you'll find the response from Richard to this in the past year even.

FWIW, if I'm looking to buy something, I'm looking to buy it here, there, or wheverever, and am more concerned about the price and condition of the the item than where it's advertised. The Genii boards do me a service by allowing others to post referalls to auctions of interest.

I'm genuintely curious: do people object to posting the aution refs. here because they are manually going through each section, instead of using the "Find new posts" feature of the boards?

Return to “General”