Planet Mirth's

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Levey

Planet Mirth's

Postby Jonathan Levey » November 6th, 2003, 10:28 pm

G'day,

I was in Vegas roughly 2 years ago and visited 'Planet Mirth's Magic Shop' over on industrial drive, I had the pleasure of meeting Earl Cheney... Anyway, I heard some rumours that it has closed down, is this true?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Ray Banks

Re: Planet Mirth's

Postby Ray Banks » November 7th, 2003, 6:56 am

A couple of years ago Earl sold his business to some investor. They moved in across the parking lot from Planet Mirth and Earl acted as a consultant for a while. I think that was 2001.

That store (after Earl left)went out of business.

Without the burden of a probable non-compete clause, Earl then reopened Planet Mirth as a magic store.

I was there in April and it was doing fine.

Besides, Earl has so much stuff in there he could never move it all.

Meeting Earl Chaney was great. I go to Vegas for the Broadcaster's convention every April and always alot some time to visit Earl...usually it needs to be two or three hours.

A great guy.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Rennie

Postby Rennie » November 7th, 2003, 7:04 am

Jonathan,
I was just there in October and was in Earl's shop as well as across the driveway where there is a Denny & Lee's magic shop. Earl's place is great for magicians as you have to check all the little nook's and cranny's for that long lost something you may be looking for. Anyway he is still there....and no he did not cut his hair.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » November 7th, 2003, 10:58 pm

Earl is a great guy, I spent quite a lot of the time in the shop talking to him. Later he showed me the back room (mini stage and studio)... Wasn't he part of the 'Ringling Brothers Circus' and wasn't his father Lon Chaney?

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » November 8th, 2003, 6:17 am

Hello,

Wasn't Earl the first Ronald Macdonald? thats what i heard... a few years ago when i was in vegas...

best,

jacky

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2003, 6:37 am

Actually, Willard Scott, longtime NBC "Today Show" weatherman is said to have claimed that dubious honor.

Elwood

Postby Elwood » November 8th, 2003, 8:58 am

What, being the son of Lon Cheney? :confused: :D

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2003, 1:12 pm

Earl is Lon Chaney JUNIORS Son!
(And if you study Earl, as I have for MANY years now, you can SEE the facial expression that made his father and Grandfather famous.)

Earl was Ronald McDonald for 22 years and worked with my current partner (Antonio Hoyos) with the Ringling Brothers Circus for 7 or 8 years.

Earl's knowledge and love for Magic, Circus', and Clowning is so great - He has inspired and helped SO MANY working professionals.
I have seen MANY "stars" of magic come into his shop to chat "shop talk" - and they all look to him with the same sparkle in their eyes as a small child would the first time seeing Santa Clause. The Love and admiration he gets from the "big guys" in the biz is overwhelming!

By the way, Earl has been nominated for the Clown Hall of Fame this year!
(An honor LONG over due!)

His shop is what Magic shops can be when they are run by someone who cares. He has all the time in the world to talk with you and I have watched him treat an 8 year old beginner with the same time and interest as he does Siegfrid, Lance, or any other "pro"...

Earl and I have had several "Magic Auctions" together and those who attended really enjoyed them! We even put together the "Magic Exchange" a few years ago at the San Remo (which people to this day STILL pat us on the back for producing a fun and affordable Swap Meet)

So if you ever get to Vegas, Look up Planet Mirth!
you won;t be disappointed!
:D

"One of Earl's BIGGEST Fans"
Tiny

Tom Ladshaw

Postby Tom Ladshaw » November 9th, 2003, 1:44 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tiny Bubbles:
Earl is Lon Chaney JUNIORS Son!

Lon Chaney, Jr. had two sons...Lon Ralph Chaney and Ronald Creighton Chaney.

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2003, 8:13 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned his birth is a bit of a contraversy. His Mother lived a few blocks from Lon Jr. in Oklahoma (Lon was between movies) and on Earl's birth Cert. is Lon Chaney Jr's name as the Father (even though Lon Jr and his Mother were never married...)

Ask Earl about it - it is really an interesting story!
;)
Tiny

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » November 9th, 2003, 11:57 pm

I still remember Earl showing me the secret back room, and he had these cool electronic rotating display cabinets... Ahh what a shop and what a nice guy...

Return to “General”