Genii Magazine Content

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Genii Magazine Content

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Genii is my favorite magic magazine - I look forward to receiving every month - for a few improvements in 2005: lessen the bio and mentalism articles, select stories that appeal to a general magic audience, shorten the verbose and redundant book/trick review section - remember, "if you cant say it in 300 words, go home and write a book about it" - and, of course, with 112 pages, 44 pages of ads and no magic tricks - what happening?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Genii Magazine Content

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 12th, 2005, 9:11 pm

It sounds like you'd enjoy MAGIC magazine more.
I don't want you to misinterpret my remark as being sarcastic--it isn't. I'm quite serious. Your list of things you'd like to see describes what appears in MAGIC more than Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 13th, 2005, 9:52 am

That's why I sub to both...
Stay tooned.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 13th, 2005, 12:37 pm

The biographical features published in 'Genii' make for excellent reading. It's fascinating to read and learn about the many individuals, both past and present, that form part of the 'tapestry of magic'. In my opinion, most of us develop an appreciation of the biographical 'stuff' as we grow older.

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » January 13th, 2005, 1:34 pm

After all, there's more to magic than just...tricks! :whack:

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2005, 3:07 pm

Originally posted by Richard Hart:
After all, there's more to magic than just...tricks! :whack:
Sshhhhh!!! Don't tip that. That's the secret that helps the pros keep the hobbyists in their place :)

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2005, 12:48 pm

briana raised a valid question ("no magic tricks -- what's happening?"). I was dismayed,Richard, Richard, and Graham, that you treated that inquiry with such disdain. That very issue of the lack of magic tricks in Genii was discussed on an earlier thread ("No New Magic Tricks in Genii", begun Oct. 18, 2004 -- "Feature Articles" Forum). On that thread, Richard, you acknowledged the shortage of magic tricks in Genii, apologized, and promised to try to do better in the future. What an attitude switch, now, in your Jan. 12 reply to briana!

I voiced my opinion in that earlier thread and I continue to stand by it.

To me, it is not inappropriate for briana to ask for more magic tricks (any magic tricks at all!) in a magazine devoted to magic! It IS inappropriate to be responded to in what appears to be such a condescending manner!

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » January 14th, 2005, 1:50 pm

I didn't find Richard Kaufman's response to Briana condescending at all. In fact, I think he went out of his way to make sure that it was not interpreted as such. He is absolutely right: If you are not interested in history, or bios, or mentalism, and you mainly want to read stories about what the current crop of stage magicians are doing, then MAGIC Magazine is the best place to go. If, on the other hand, you are interested in magic's past, and subsets of magic, such as mentalism and gambling moves, then Genii magazine is the source.

Personally, I find the content of Genii a lot more interesting, but then: I like history, and con games, and mentalism. Like many others here, I subscribe to and enjoy both.

And, just for the record, there is more to Graham's post than one might imagine.

Jim :cool:

Tabman

Postby Tabman » January 14th, 2005, 6:29 pm

I really like Genii Magazine. I like the fact that it is the longest running magic magazine in history (correct me if I'm wrong here). It's had some great tricks in it and Im sure it will in the future. In fact, the Jerry Andrus article and the trick, Double Dimension, made the entire year worthwhile for me.

Also, at one time I subscribed to MAGIC but it doesn't fit my tastes anymore and this is just my opinion. I mean I live a corn cob rough life out here in the hills anyway. When Genii comes in its like a visit from an old friend. I know Richard loves Genii and that he doesnt do it just for the $$$. I'm glad he bought it and treats it so respectrully.

Just my nickles worth, thats all.

-=tabman

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2005, 6:58 pm

Richard,
I think Genii is a great magazine.. I also subscribe to Magic, but your bio's are excellent.
I really enjoyed reading the December issue on that great Card Guy--Jon Armstrong.
I also look forward to your reviews on products.
Roger

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 14th, 2005, 7:08 pm

I love Genii and just renewed this week. That being said, "Magicana" is always a favorite of mine and I won't be embarrassed to say I've missed it a bit of late.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2005, 8:40 am

Chris, you said it well. That was also what I indicated in my response on the earlier thread. I make no apologies for looking forward to (and expecting to see) the "Magicana" section in each issue.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » January 15th, 2005, 11:24 am

Originally posted by -=tabman:
I really like Genii Magazine. I like the fact that it is the longest running magic magazine in history (correct me if I'm wrong here). -=tabman
If we considere all kind of magic magazines (private and public), The Linking Ring is the longest. It began in January 1923 and it's still alive.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2005, 11:27 am

...the Jerry Andrus article and the trick, Double Dimension, made the entire year worthwhile for me.....
Tabman, wasn't that Jerry Andrus article awesome?

The writer took the point of view that what was extraordinary about Jerry wasn't just his tricks, but also, the whole strange personality that can invent such tricks, as reflected in the weird interior design of his house, his unusual everyday habits, and things that other people might simply call abnormal pathology.

Wow, that's a profile for the ages! Who wrote that? That's what magic journalism should be.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 15th, 2005, 12:14 pm

Originally posted by Philippe Billot:
[b] I really like Genii Magazine. I like the fact that it is the longest running magic magazine in history (correct me if I'm wrong here). -=tabman
If we considere all kind of magic magazines (private and public), The Linking Ring is the longest. It began in January 1923 and it's still alive. [/b]
MAGIC CIRCULAR began in 1906 and is still alive...

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » January 15th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Shame on me ! I forget this one.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 15th, 2005, 1:48 pm

Genii is the oldest independent magazine devoted to magic.
Both The Magic Circular and The Linking Ring have been published longer, but they are not in the same category because you do not subscribe to them. You receive them as a result of being a member in either organization.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 15th, 2005, 4:19 pm

On the other hand, I was a member of SAM for several years just so I could get MUM . . .

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 15th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Of course, M-U-M was included within the pages of Genii from June 1941 (Volume 5, Number 9) through June 1947 (Volume 11, Number 10). ;)

Tabman

Postby Tabman » January 15th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Originally posted by David Groves:

Tabman, wasn't that Jerry Andrus article awesome? ... That's what magic journalism should be.

Yessir!!! I sure agree with you. Those guys did a great job with the text and the pictures on the article. Jerry and I corresponded for a while after that and I could imagine him on his treadmill typing out emails to me while he was treading along. I've gone back and reread it four or five times. Most dogeared Genii in my recent collection.

-=tabman

Ben Bishop

Postby Ben Bishop » January 18th, 2005, 4:21 pm

I loved the Andrus piece too (in fact, I thought he deserved the cover). But I have to say my most dog-eared Genii is the Jim Steinmeyer issue.

Return to “General”