What's in a name?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

What's in a name?

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2003, 7:57 am

Stumbled across this forum whilst looking for new gadgets. I'm a bit of a magic n00b but also, I think, beyond 'beginner' level.

Anyway, all this will become apparent as I post more I'm sure. Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm 33, English, Autistic and I'm working towards becoming a pro-performer.

My real name is Chris Jones but it's not one that I can see in neon lights, or even on a sandwich board.

Does anyone have any ideas for a stage name?

Pete Biro

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Pete Biro » July 1st, 2003, 9:18 am

Chris Jones sounds fine to me. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Ross Johnson

Postby Ross Johnson » July 1st, 2003, 9:31 am

Keep your name and pattern an act on Bob Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man":

You hand in your ticket
And you go watch the geek
Who immediately walks up to you
When he hears you speak
And says, "How does it feel
To be such a freak?"
And you say, "Impossible"
As he hands you a bone

Because something is happening here
But you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones?

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2003, 10:23 am

Still not convinced about the name. But I think I've found a catch-phrase, thanks Ross!:

'Something is happening here...but I don't know what it is'!

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2003, 11:35 am

You are autistic?
Steve V

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2003, 11:49 am

I am indeed. Officially I am 'high functioning autistic' like RainMan. It has its problems but it has some advantages for me also.

EDIT: One of the problems is that I tend to communicate rather 'directly' so I tend to upset people on forums!

So if this occurs, please bear with me, it is almost invariably unintentional! ;)

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2003, 2:03 pm

Certainly a name that people can remember, mysterious to conjure with is desirable, or one that identifies you apart from the others.("Mr. Electric)
But on the other hand, ordinary(boring?) names like Howard Thurston, Doug Henning, David Blaine, equaled magic for each of their generations/eras.

Frank Tougas

Postby Frank Tougas » July 1st, 2003, 9:22 pm

Welcome Jones. I admire your desire for magic. Being high functioning would I be correct in assuming we are talking about Asperger's syndrome?

Directness may be welcome in these fourms.
Worthiness is measured not by how much you chatter, but by how much you help another.

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2003, 10:57 pm

Originally posted by jonesc2ii:
One of the problems is that I tend to communicate rather 'directly' so I tend to upset people on forums!
I'll second what Frank said. There are plenty of people here who will listen to what you have to say without worrying about how you say it. I certainly will.

I'd leave your name alone. If your magic is good, it will make your name, not the other way around.

Best,

Geoff

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 2nd, 2003, 12:22 am

Forget the name. Worry about your character, and your act.

If those are good, people will remember you, which is even better than them remembering your name.

Postby Guest » July 2nd, 2003, 1:15 am

Originally posted by Frank Tougas:
Welcome Jones. I admire your desire for magic. Being high functioning would I be correct in assuming we are talking about Asperger's syndrome?

Directness may be welcome in these fourms.
Yes, Asperger's. I am Aspieman.

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2003, 5:32 pm

I was requested to change my name here on the genii forum from what I use as a stage name. My stage name is Amazing Dick . Not The Amazing Dick but Amazing Dick. I was told it was not in good taste so I had to become Amazing Richard for the sake of the forum. Go with any name you want and like just make sure it fits your onstage persona and style of magic . :genii:

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2003, 3:07 pm

I have always maintained that "magicians" are different -- and must be able to use that difference to create their character, persona on stage and to revel in the difference.

Unhappily too many magicians' make their main difference from the real world seem to be their ego being recognized. This ego is demonstrated in wanting to be noticed for "correct moves" "double lifts" and ability to criticize others in those areas, rather than wanting their true creativity, capitalizing on their "difference" in ability to function and stage character to bring them a focus.

In carrying a genetic mental disorder myself -- I spent too many years feeling I was out of step and needed to hide behind a stage name -- and the perceived the character my audience "wanted," tux and all was a magician of the past who entertaihned, not challenged. (Turns out, at the time, my "audience was a group of egomaniacal magical club members and only one working pro -- who jealously guarded his stuff, let alone sharing the secret of "being yourself in character, on stage.")

Now some folks think Ali Bongo is crazy on stage -- and his character does bring across a side of his character I admire in the Brit magicians -- the ability to bring forth -- with no retraint -- his inner madeness -- his frenetic belief he is going to be alright. I have met him casually several times -- while not reclusive - he does not suffer fools well and can be abrupt in his desire to "be alone."

I admire Penn and Teller for their guts in telling it like they see it (I agree with much of their personal athiestic, skeptical viewpoint) and admire their tenacity and creativity in getting their voices heard through their artistry! Off stage--I know they can be giving and sharing to the truly professional and honest seeker of magical knowlege -- and gruff to the point of beyond discourtesy with those puffed up in "magic," or shut eyed in "magick." I believe P&T's true message is to tell us to use your own true minds and thought to discover first, who you are, then. the universe as you see it to enable you pass it along.

Other magical personalities develop after years of hitting the stride with an act -- that reflects the times and a little of the character portrayed from those times. Witness Johnny Thompson and Pam as the great send-up of a self impressed magician of European noble descent -- and his "more common" assistant. (BTW -- watch who gets the laughs or sets them up -- a true partnership of actors.) Stage persona very different than the warm, gracious and giving people I have met.

Reflecting on my years of untreated Adult Attention Deficit Disorder (covered by a high IQ and some ability as an entrepreneur with outgoing social skills) I worked sales -- with monetary success -- owned several companies -- with monetary success -- and then crashed into severe clinical depressions trying to discover WHO I WAS.

Through re-entering the magical world after a 20 year haitus -- I saw not much had changed -- and there were FEW exemplars of who I would like to be -- funny thoughts at age 58.

After meeting -- and being coached slightly by Stan Kramien, Jeff McBride, Eugene Burger -- spending bar time with Billy McComb -- lunch and phone dialogues (very recently) with Larry Becker and Jim Riser -- deep reading in hermetics, magic AND magick, along with books and books on the psychology of depression, the workings of the human mind vis-a-vis cults, religion and belief, I was receiving some pretty good rationale emotive therapy and balancing the chemicals in my brain to create a focus that would no longer fracture qat the mere suggestion of criticism.

Through the past 10 years I have acquired, practiced, performed, used and disguarded several hundred illusions and tricks. I wrote new routines for almost all of them.

In actual performance I found myself -- OFTEN SWITCHING PERSONAE between segments -- to meet the trick's dramatic need and plot as I perceieved it ("TV Pitchman" for see through guillotine -- "mystic water bearer" for Lota Bowl -- "old movie villain" for sawing in half -- and a "Pasha of Truth and torture" for my blade box.) I feel that it is a lot of work being that many people in a show and I am still not the actor I need to be to pull each character off in depth -- but it seems be entertaining to a large audience -- and I more work on how I perceive how Blackstone Jr. brought color to his segments (rather than a character) is needed.

It is still not satisfying to myself, though/ It only works economically in bigger venues (audience 300 or more). Those types of dates in our barren wasteland of a state (Arizona) are not only few -- but very far between. The marketing expense is larger than the show expense. Finding trustworthy and reliable assistance is difficult at best.

For MY personality -- adding or doing straight mentalism -- while knowing it is done excellently by Larry Becker and Steve Shaw -- leaves some of my quirky side unfulfilled.

Going totally to the bizzarist side -- leaves open too many economic questions because of "political correctness." But I want some of those more thoughtful bizzare parts...because with slight changes they are me. That's quirky, right?

NO! That is part of realizing how I can creatively use my "different abilities" (called disabilities by some) to not only create an act -- but to be myself, comfortably telling my stories (most often re-written plots using magical effects from stuff from the era 1910 - 1943) I have learned (and am learning) to do this in settings running from close-up to large stage inside my single persona. Now, my audience tells me when I have gone too far and need to back off -- or need to hone a trick, or story. I have learned that often, I need to reach outside myself for the courage to get advice to change (as were my recent conversations with Larry Becker -- a wise man.)

Choosing a stage name -- ???? I tried it for years -- and found it in my own name, Gregory Walter George Chmara. I always say that when my grandfather arrived in the US from Poland no-one could spell (clear your throat with a rasp) so they put the C H M together so people trying to say his name would clear their throat.

So, there it was -- myself, decoded to C. H. Mara. As I looked further, I found the Mara could be found as a surname in Russia, sounds like O'Mara in Ireland, is almost Chinese,is the name of a demon who tempted the buddha, and can be related to marinara souce in Italy. I claim (as a character bit) my parents were too poor to buy me the other letters that would have followed C. H.)

WOW.

At age 62 discovering myself on and off stage -- damn that's a long time-- but it feels good to be myself. I revel in my past triumphs over ADD in the "real world" outside of my magical love, and know that trying to hide that magical part of myself caused more problems than it was worth.

Therefore -- if you can relate to my experience -- please realize that your name may be YOUR OWN mystic key to being who you are inside. Use your different abilities to create effects and approach to "on-stage" work to tell YOUR STORY. Mimicking other's styles -- usually leads down the path to being either a very poor imitation of a magician -- or settling for admitting you dare not reveal your real talents on stage.

I have seen too many asperger's high functioning "autistic" get lost in a fog of drugs (often legally prescribed) to "help" them normalize, or like some of my sons - drown themselves in substance abuse or in the isolation of highly specialized work, because they are not "normal."

They, and I, have only recently begun to realize how wonderful NOT BEING NORMAL IS! Definitely not comfortable most of the time -- but wonderful in that being yourself is the most rewarding work you can find.

So - performing magic - your own name - your own talents -- your own self would be my recommendation. Hone, moderate and change only as your paying audience tells you in how you can best entertain them.

This may be unorthodox -- but it is a road to success I feel many will tell you well worth the trip. GC

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2003, 4:07 pm

The Amazing Richard sez:
My stage name is Amazing Dick . Not The Amazing Dick but Amazing Dick. I was told it was not in good taste so I had to become Amazing Richard for the sake of the forum.

Man, that sucks...especially since they allow guys like me and Geoff Latta on this forum. And we are as bad taste as you can get ;)

Mike

PS: Hi Geoff...'sup?

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2003, 5:29 pm

Mike thanks for the shout out ! The point I was trying to make was my stage name pushes some people's buttons and Chris shouldn't be afraid to use any name he wish's . Any publicity is good publicity and over the top gets you noticed.
As for being in bad taste maybe I should put up a post about " What is the one routine you do that pushes the envelope"?
P.S. I give any person that can overcome a physical or mental impairment to entertain others a lot of KUDO'S !!!! :cool:
Peace out !
Amazing Dick

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2003, 7:19 am

CHM,

Hehe. As part of a (rather expensive and very disappointing) course I bought from Paul Daniels I was asked to fill in a My True Reason form. I wrote:

My True Reason for wanting to make a success of my magic career is to learn who I can be, who I am and who I want to be (and to avoid going back to an office job!).

So much of what you wrote hit home with me. I have also had many bad experiences with drink and drugs, some prescribed, some not.

I was diagnosed last year at the age of 32 so I have been through the whole trying to fit in process. It is so tiring! So now I'm learning to be me but after 30 years of trying to NOT be me, it takes some figuring out. 'Just be yourself' might come easy to some, not to me.

I guess Chris Jones never really suited me bacause it's so, well, NORMAL! So it has never felt comfortable and I have had any number of aliases (as an artist, a writer, a friend et al!).

Return to “General”