Upcoming Books...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Ruben Padilla

Upcoming Books...

Postby Ruben Padilla » June 19th, 2002, 12:14 pm

Is anybody interested in a forum topic (or Genii column) that lists new and upcoming books? I personally get excited when I hear that new works by (or about) David Regal, Darwin Ortiz, Mike Rogers, Larry Jennings, Dai Vernon and others are coming down the pike, but the sources of this information are sporadic and varied - often gleamed from within non-related threads on this forum.

I understand that publication dates are often unreliable, and the fact that someone is working on a book doesn't mean we'll see it anytime soon, but I'd sure enjoy knowing where to look for this type of information. It would, at the very least, help me plan the hiding of funds from my wife... ;)

Perhaps this information could be sorted according to publisher (Kaufman, Hermetic, L&L independent), or by subject or category of magic...

Richard, how do you feel about listing which books we can expect from you in the next couple years?

Any thoughts?
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Tim Trono

Re: Upcoming Books...

Postby Tim Trono » June 19th, 2002, 9:37 pm

Hi Ruben.

Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc. now has at the printers two volumes by David Regal entitled "Constant Fooling". The material is really exceptional. I am anticipating these will be out at approximately the end of this month. I contacted the printer yesterday to get an update but have not yet heard back.

We also have a couple other great books coming up in the future but I don't want to make predictions at this time as to their release date. One is a large hardbound book (over 400 pages, 800 illustrations by Tony Dunn, etc.) on the bill switch written by John Lovick and compiled by John and I. It's like a who's who of magic as far as all of the contributors and the handlings, routines, history, theory, etc. will really amaze you. It is called "Switch!". We also have a book coming out on the card magic of Bebel. Bebel was a huge hit at this years' FFFF gathering.

In addition, we will be exclusively distributing a new book by Paul Wilson called "13". Don't miss this. Paul will be premiering it at the SAM convention. I won't give any further details but youll want to buy it.

We also have several very interesting effects and videos in the pipeline but I won't go into those since it sounded like you were specifically interested in books.

Tim Trono
Project Manager
Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » June 20th, 2002, 11:38 am

Thanks, Tim!
How cool is that?
I love hearing this stuff!
Who else has information on upcoming releases?
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2002, 12:18 pm

Ruben,

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2002, 12:21 pm

Oops, hit a wrong key. Sorry about that last post.

Ruben, I think you just started the thread, so let me mention that I received, only yesterday, a letter from John Harrison who is writing a new book on the life of Doug Henning. He asked to interview me since I was very close to Doug in the early years.

It may be a long wait, but I, for one, am very glad that someone is doing this. I do hope it's a good job. Doug contributed so much to our craft... he deserves a lasting tribute.

Lior

Postby Lior » June 20th, 2002, 4:47 pm

What about the David Berglass Book///?
Magic and mentalism for real workers
www.liormanor.com/vernon

Ed Oschmann

Postby Ed Oschmann » June 20th, 2002, 5:11 pm

Does anyone know if and when the Geoff Latta book will be coming out? I believe it was being written by Stephen Hobbes.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 20th, 2002, 5:45 pm

The Geoff Latta IS being written by Hobbs, but his time is limited because of his work and family. Minch will publish.
Not this year.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » June 21st, 2002, 5:29 am

How about the forthcoming books of Dave Grippenwalt and Gregory Wilson?

Anyone know when to expect these?

Richard Tremblay

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2002, 7:12 am

I am eagerly awaiting the book on Jimmy Grippo. Any news?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 21st, 2002, 7:31 am

Is Mike Caveny still doing a book on Fred Kaps??

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » June 21st, 2002, 8:17 am

The Gregory Wilson/Dave Gripenwaldt book is, I believe, just in planning stages and has not actually commenced thus it will be a while off. Geno Munari is working on the Jimmy Grippo book. This will be a must have book as Grippo truly created what seemed like real magic to laymen.

Tim Trono

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » June 21st, 2002, 9:12 am

Grippo is more than 50% done. The devil is in the details: copy-editing, pics, index, etc.
I'm writing it.
Geno will publish.
Yes, it will be an interesting read.

Onward...

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » June 21st, 2002, 11:22 am

Tim Trono said:
We also have a book coming out on the card magic of Bebel
Tim,

Do you also have videos coming out on the card magic of Bebel or only the book?

Philippe Nol

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 21st, 2002, 11:47 am

Hi Ruben,

Don't know if you're interested, but I also have two books in the works, one on the magic of Patrik Kuffs, and another small collection of material from Richard Sanders in the vein of The Close-Up Assassin.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » June 21st, 2002, 10:02 pm

At this time, Bebel wants to just do a book so there will be no video for a while.

Tim Trono

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » June 23rd, 2002, 3:48 am

What about the reprint of Minch's trilogy on the work of Martin Nash by Hades?
We have no news any more...

Philippe Nol

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 23rd, 2002, 3:09 pm

Philippe: I believe Bebel has several videos available on the French market. Check out the stores in Paris...

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2002, 6:26 pm

David,

How is "Random Acts of Magic" coming along? I heard there are a ton of routines. Anything you can tell us?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 24th, 2002, 12:13 am

Any news on the upcoming Chad Long book? He mentioned that there was one in the works when he was in town a few months ago for a lecture.

Terry

Postby Terry » June 24th, 2002, 5:07 am

What about the reprint of Minch's trilogy on the work of Martin Nash by Hades? We have no news any more...
Philippe,

Last word I received from them was that the pictures didn't scan well for the reprint and they are switching to line drawings. This process is taking longer than expected. If you access their site and add yourself to the mailing list, they will notify you of the release.

http://members.shaw.ca/mickyhades/

shrink

Postby shrink » June 24th, 2002, 5:11 am

According to Steve Beam's newly addressed site (www.stevebeam.com), his Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Volume 4 is due to be released on August 15 and his long out of print Volume 1 in the same series will be reprinted later this year.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » June 24th, 2002, 5:36 am

From the bottom right hand corner of page 57 in the June 2002 issue of "MAGIC":

Charlie Randall is the co-owner of H&R Magic Books, and is currently working on a book of tricks and routines from magicians who have attended Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolics over the past few years.
Another upcoming book that has me licking my lips in anticipation!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2002, 8:43 am

John, this book has been finished for about 10 years. That's how long ago Earle Oakes finished the illustrations! It has been through the hands of numerous people who promised Obie they would lay it out and get it done, but time after time he has been let down. Let's hope Charlie finishes the job this time.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 24th, 2002, 8:47 am

Caveney, like everyone else, is waiting for the final manuscript on the Kaps book. The writer comes in here often, hopefully he will see the postential market and finish the work... HINT HINT!!! 'Come on... K' (not Kaufmann) :eek:
Stay tooned.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 24th, 2002, 8:26 pm

Originally posted by Josh L.:
David, How is "Random Acts of Magic" coming along? I heard there are a ton of routines. Anything you can tell us?
Hi Josh,

After two years, all the writing is finally done for Random Acts of Magic. It has over 90 routines in it, primarily solo stuff, but there are also previously unpublished collaborational items with Jay Sankey, Simon Lovell, Rick Bronson, Richard Sanders, Josh Jay and Michel Huot, and some amazing contributions from Max Maven, Bob Torkova, and a handful of others. The next step is taking the photos, which unfortunately, I won't have time to do until my schedule on Discovery's "Mystery Hunters" eases up. Once it does, however, the intention is to move full steam ahead to get the book out in the Spring. And thanks for asking!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2002, 8:40 pm

And, the person writing the Fred Kaps book is ... Dick Kornwinder. No need to be coy, Pete.

thecardman

Postby thecardman » June 30th, 2002, 3:44 pm

"...We also have a book coming out on the card magic of Bebel..."

BIASED OPINION ALERT!

Let me put this to you all - BUY THIS BOOK!!!

I have had the pleasure and honour of watching this man work from about 24 inches away and he never fails to fool the living (and dead) crap out of me!!!

I am certain that his book will be as good as his magic!

Best wishes

thecardman
:)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2002, 4:48 pm

The artistic success of Bebel's book will depend entirely upon the writer and publisher. I have seen him work and he is certainly good, but not an easy subject for a book.

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » June 30th, 2002, 10:05 pm

I/we (Murphy's) have a great deal of confidence in this book as it is being done by Bebel and Sebastian Clergue. Both individuals are VERY dedicated, precise, and want to give this project 110%. EVERY detail is important to them as it will ultimately reflect Bebel and thus I am quite confident this book will be a winner and a must have. I have a tremendous amount of faith in Seb and Bebel. Bebel had sent me a video some time ago that he made up for (in strict confidence- sorry) to see the material... wow! Then I was fortunate enough to see him and meet him personally at this year's FFFF convention. He's great.

Tim

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » July 1st, 2002, 12:41 pm

Tim,
Who will illustrate Bebel's book?

Philippe Nol

Shahin

Postby Shahin » May 28th, 2003, 11:00 am

mr trono,almost one year has past.I would like to know, if there are any updates on the bebel book project?

Shahin

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2003, 2:51 pm

Hello all,

Yes, one year has gone by and the Bebel book is still being written. I think the various examples mentioned in this thread have shown that the conception of a book is a labor of love... that can take an awful lot of time and energy, too. We have some very fine publishers and writers posting here who know what I am talking about!

Murphy's Magic Supplies and I have been working on the Bebel book (temptative title: "Bebel") for nearly two years already (that includes more than 350 photographs that were shot in Paris, the cover artwork, etc.). No, I am not asking for 8 more years! There is no release date yet (as some recent experiences in the publishing field have shown that it is much more prudent not to give any estimated release date anyway) but the end is sure coming soon. There will then be a long and minutious proof-reading/credits checking process that will take some time too, but it will be well-worth the wait.

I wish to thank Murphy's Magic Supplies for their patience and confidence regarding this project - they were open to every suggestion that was made about the book and always made clear that they would never rush things and rather wait/work the necessary time to produce a fine book. Many thanks to them for that, that relieved a lot of pressure on me!

Bebel and I will be present at FISM 2003 in The Hague and we will add a very nice touch to the book there. I cannot give too many details yet, but that will be a very nice add-on to the book- sort of a finishing touch, so to speak.

Many thanks everyone and we will keep you tuned,

Seb.

Return to “General”