Search found 782 matches

by lybrary
November 24th, 2017, 5:30 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Roger M. wrote:
lybrary wrote:
Roger M. wrote:I've certainly done enough research ...

Oh please, tell us all about your groundbreaking research.

I have to leave you here Chris, you're behaving like a child.
Peace.

What I thought. Nothing to back up your grandiose claims. Nothing but hot air. The typical bedroom critic.
by lybrary
November 24th, 2017, 5:05 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Roger M. wrote:I've certainly done enough research ...

Oh please, tell us all about your groundbreaking research.
by lybrary
November 24th, 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Erdnase was indeed a writer, and a very good one ... however so were probably 100,000+ other people in the United States between 1900 and 1910. (out of 76 million U.S. citizens at the time, perhaps double or triple that number) The EATCT was indeed printed at Mckinney, but there are far more employ...
by lybrary
November 24th, 2017, 1:44 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Unfortunately, to anybody but yourself, (and as folks have been trying to tell you) none of these are convincing . Can you be more specific why you think they are not convincing? Are you saying Erdnase was not a writer? Not a good writer? That the book was not printed at James McKinney? That the bo...
by lybrary
November 24th, 2017, 1:08 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Important to note that Chris doesn't have any other convincing facts linking Gallaway to Erdnase beyond Gallaway owning a copy of EATCT, which makes Bill's post all that much more relevant. I guess you have been sleeping at the wheel. Here are a couple facts for you to contemplate: - documentary pr...
by lybrary
November 24th, 2017, 12:03 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Any time I make a post the result of which is that Houdini was Erdnase, don't pay too much attention to it. The point of it is not to show that Houdini was, in fact, Erdnase. What I'm generally trying to do is take an argument that was used to show that someone else was Erdnase, and show that the s...
by lybrary
November 16th, 2017, 11:28 am
Forum: General
Topic: Theodore Deland
Replies: 26
Views: 6418

Re: Theodore Deland

For those of you whom, like me, are looking forward to Richard's book on Deland, you may want to take a peek at this blog posting which features several interesting items produced by Deland with some of the context of those items: https://throwingcards.blogspot.com/2017/11/theodore-delands-got-your...
by lybrary
November 13th, 2017, 10:44 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Unfortunately, Bill was himself addicted to gambling, and typically lost all his copious winnings (hundreds of thousands of dollars) at the Faro table. Erdnase seems to have had a similar problem. Read the passage on "pretty money" in expert: “Hazard at play carries sensations that once e...
by lybrary
November 12th, 2017, 10:55 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

All along you've been saying that Gallaway's employment by McKinney makes him more likely than the other candidates, with respect to the issue of opportunity. Are you agreeing now that anyone who can be shown to have been in the Chicago area in the era before Feb 1902 is on equivalent footing to Ga...
by lybrary
November 12th, 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

But a person who wants to print a book will make their own opportunity -- it doesn't have to pre-exist. True, it doesn't have to pre-exist, but in either case, if it pre-existed or was created, you have to show that Erdnase was at the scene of the 'crime', otherwise you cannot 'convict beyond a rea...
by lybrary
November 12th, 2017, 1:39 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Then we also need Erdnase to have some kind of connection with McKinney where the book was printed. Why in the world is that the case? If this were true in general, then the only people who could self-publish books would be those who had a connection to a printer. With connection I do not mean that...
by lybrary
November 12th, 2017, 11:29 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Your next statement carries more weight, but still fails to put the cards on Gallaway's hands. Through ex-wives, parents, etc ... I have about 15 gardening books in my library ... but I couldn't be any less interested in gardening than I am . So the fact that the gardening books are in my library (...
by lybrary
November 11th, 2017, 10:11 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

In other words, it's a completely ridiculous - irrelevant to the subject matter. I agree, saying that somebody had a deck of cards in his hands is ridiculous and irrelevant, because everybody had one in their hands in the 19th century. It doesn't make everybody Erdnase, it simply is a characteristi...
by lybrary
November 11th, 2017, 9:58 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

W. E. Sanders undoubtedly knew card magic. He described a card magic effect in his 1881 camping diary: "Mutus Nomen Detit Cocus." We also know that on a ten week camping trip in 1896, he purchased six decks of playing cards. That is not a trick that requires sleight-of-hand. It is the exa...
by lybrary
November 11th, 2017, 9:07 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

...... but we already know he held cards. We don't know anything of the sort! What evidence can you present that puts a deck of cards in Gallaway's hands ? PLEASE ..... be precise. Since pretty much everybody played cards one way or another during the 19th century, essentially everybody had a deck ...
by lybrary
November 11th, 2017, 11:24 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Just to clarify, then, Chris, you believe that Erdnase was or had been a working cardshark? That depends on how you define "working cardshark". I think Erdnase did cheat at the card table, but I do not think he was the prototypical cardshark the way most would picture them, at least not f...
by lybrary
November 11th, 2017, 10:06 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

If you were seriously trying to hide your identity- not so the public doesnt know but so anyone you may know personally doesnt figure it out- would you just reverse your name? Why are you assuming this is what Erdnase was trying to do? Because a cardshark is a cheat, a crook, a criminal. It is not ...
by lybrary
November 10th, 2017, 8:14 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

You have made an excellent case to include Gallaway as a candidate, and I am not really arguing against him being Erdnase. You're on the way to making a good case. Looking for meaningful measures is a big step toward credible argument. Chris has achieved the commendable undertaking of introducing a...
by lybrary
November 10th, 2017, 2:35 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Here is a part from the beginning of the introduction to "Estimating for Printers" "This is a practical book - it is not padded with ponderous editorial homilies, old newspaper clippings, interest tables or platitudinous dissertations on the uplift of the printing industry." I a...
by lybrary
November 10th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Roger M. wrote:Chris, I see what you mean by hearing Erdnase in the intro, it certainly seems more than just a similar style. Indeed it would be at the least a very similar style.
by lybrary
November 10th, 2017, 10:15 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Burrows, from his seminal 2002 paper: "The first step in the procedure is to establish a frequency-hierarchy for the most common words in a large group of suitable texts." That was his original attempt and was simply a suggestion not a mandatory requirement. Many other researchers have us...
by lybrary
November 9th, 2017, 3:05 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

There is zero support in the literature for what you are saying. I've looked at many stylometry author identification/attribution studies over the years, and I've never seen one conducted where they used the unknown text as the baseline, and compared the known texts against it. I've quoted the auth...
by lybrary
November 9th, 2017, 6:19 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

The case that's causing all the discussion, whether or not Erdnase is more similar to Gallaway than Teale, based on (?), doesn't have multiple data points. There's just the single marker -- (?). And applying the MW method to it in one direction (the correct one) suggests that Erdnase writes more li...
by lybrary
November 8th, 2017, 4:44 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

I'd like a larger collection of text markers for analysis claims. The "(?)" itself is interesting but not IMHO persuasive. What's the significance of that marker given text over those years? A typographical fad? It has little to no meaning by itself. I simply pointed out a logical error i...
by lybrary
November 8th, 2017, 2:28 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

If you do not see the symmetry in their method, that it has nothing to do with which text is known and which text is unknown, then you do not understand the method. It comes down to the symmetry of if "A wrote B" then also "B wrote A". The method is not symmetrical, and you can ...
by lybrary
November 8th, 2017, 9:04 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Their paper does not say this, but their book, which amplifies the concepts, methods, and results initially described in the paper, explicitly says start with the known texts. (see Chap 3, Mosteller and Wallace, Applied Bayesian and Classical Inference: The Case of the Federalist Papers (1984)) The...
by lybrary
November 7th, 2017, 9:31 am
Forum: General
Topic: Mickey MacDougall Radio Interview from 1938
Replies: 5
Views: 365

Re: Mickey MacDougall Radio Interview from 1938

The cheating story Mickey MacDougall tells is right out of "Jack Pots" https://www.lybrary.com/jack-pots-stori ... 22157.html Chapter 23: Origin Of The Looloo. He only changed the name from Looloo to Lalapaloosa.
by lybrary
November 6th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Since Teale LOVED the expression, you would think that if he was Erdnase, he would have used the term SOMEWHAT more than three times in the Erdnase book. But as Bill Mullins mentioned, the nature of the subject matter can explain a greatly reduced rate of usage in the Erdnase book. That is again an...
by lybrary
November 6th, 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Looks like this Erdnase kickstarter campaign will meet its goal. Thoughts? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/110191763/the-expert-at-the-card-table-with-photographs-from This is exactly what David Ben and Julie Eng have already done to perfection with The Experts at the Card Table . I'm not sure...
by lybrary
November 6th, 2017, 6:28 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

You said that you did it exactly like MW, when in fact what you did was opposite to MW. That's what I was showing. That is like saying they wrote a+b so it can't be used as b+a. Of course it can be used that way, too, because it is equivalent. The authorship question is symmetric. Saying "A ha...
by lybrary
November 6th, 2017, 3:21 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

One can ask the question of authorship in either direction. You can start with Erdnase and then ask how likely is it that he would have authored another text. Or you can start with a candidate and ask how likely did he write Expert. Both answer the same question - Who is Erdnase? - and both fall wit...
by lybrary
November 5th, 2017, 10:37 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

We can't be sure that Erdnase told Smith that he was actually related to Dalrymple. Oh, I see. This argument requires for Smith to have incorrectly remembered something. What a novel thought! I will not argue against it. But I find the alleged comment rather unlikely in this situation. If Dalrymple...
by lybrary
November 5th, 2017, 10:30 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

I'm not saying that Mosteller and Wallace were wrong. I'm saying that you are wrong. The data about "(?)" doesn't support the conclusion you are drawing. I am doing it exactly as Mosteller-Wallace. So yes, you are saying they are wrong. You seem to not understand simple conditional probab...
by lybrary
November 5th, 2017, 8:17 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Great juxtaposition of caricatures and photos. To me the Montana fellow looks like Wilbur Fisk Sanders. Dalrymple could have drawn the Montana guy in many other ways, but he didn't. However, the part of the argument I can't follow is this. Why would WE Sanders say he is related to Dalrymple when Dal...
by lybrary
November 5th, 2017, 5:56 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

You're doing it wrong. You should tell this Mosteller-Wallace and the entire stylometry community who has followed their lead. Bill Mullins the know-it-all. When one starts with Erdnase and asks how likely is it that Erdnase is Gallaway, my calculation, which follows Mosteller-Wallace, is perfectly...
by lybrary
November 4th, 2017, 5:56 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

As Mosteller-Wallace have argued words can essentially be modeled statistically as a Poisson process. In Teale and in Erdnase, "(?)" is not a word, but is punctuation used to indicate that the preceding word is being used ironically. Why do you proceed as if a statistic of word usage woul...
by lybrary
November 3rd, 2017, 7:46 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

A comment about comparing writing style. On Tom Sawyer's blog in a recent post he wrote about Oscar Teale and his book "Higher Magic". https://erdnasequest.wordpress.com/2017/10/29/proving-that-people-were-erdnase-when-they-were-not-erdnase-surely-ones-ability-to-do-that-weakens-most-or-al...
by lybrary
November 3rd, 2017, 10:36 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

Is it a typo where the typesetter accidentally substituted the "s" for the "r" or did the typesetter misread the manuscript and deliberately used the "s" because that is what it looked like to him on the page? Clearly it was an accidental substitution, because if it wa...
by lybrary
November 1st, 2017, 2:29 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

It depends more on the person than if he is the author or not. In general I agree with the above, because the author becomes 'blind' to his own errors. And after first writing the manuscript and then perhaps reading it a few times authors don't have the energy to proof read it again in detail. But I...
by lybrary
November 1st, 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5238
Views: 1872007

Re: ERDNASE

And since we are on the subject of the name S.W. Erdnase here another observation for discussion. S.W. Jamieson, the one who filled out the copyright form for expert, was in 1902 a publisher but in the 1910 census already a farmer. He later moved to California and farmed Avocados. Exactly when he be...

Go to advanced search