Search found 1244 matches

by Roger M.
November 29th, 2017, 5:40 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Dustin is referencing me folks, and doing so in response to my request made earlier today that he delete Chris's reference to me as "despicable" in a post Chris made a couple of days ago ... not because I'm in any way thin skinned (I'm not at all), but because I thought it degraded the thr...
by Roger M.
November 27th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

lybrary wrote: Shame on you. You are despicable.


"Despicable Me" :lol:

Man-up Chris [edited]
Deal with the critique such that your temper tantrums don't permanently mar your otherwise interesting pursuit of Gallaway.

Gallaway wasn't Erdnase, and didn't write EATCT ... now prove me wrong.
by Roger M.
November 27th, 2017, 10:17 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

If he wouldn't make such a good case there wouldn't be the need for the amount of response he has received. No, that's not true at all Chris ... it's just not at all a good case, and people are pointing that out to you repeatedly, with you choosing not to listen to what folks are saying to you ... ...
by Roger M.
November 26th, 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

You are sitting on a mighty high horse without having contributed one iota to the search for Erdnase. Just a quick clarification, anybody participating in this thread over any length of time, is participating in the search for Erdnase . There is no requirement to propose a candidate before one is w...
by Roger M.
November 26th, 2017, 7:35 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

That is a misunderstand of the role of the orator. Magic was also performed outside the tent. A circus historian said that it would not be uncharacteristic for an orator to perform a magic trick as part of his oration. The direct quote is: "It would not be unusual for a talker to present acts ...
by Roger M.
November 25th, 2017, 3:06 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

What I thought. Nothing to back up your grandiose claims. Nothing but hot air. The typical bedroom critic. Ummm, I'm not actually making any claims Chris ... so there's that. "Hot air" is subjective, so you really can't be wrong in your assessment, my posts definitely seem to put more tha...
by Roger M.
November 24th, 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

lybrary wrote:
Roger M. wrote:I've certainly done enough research ...

Oh please, tell us all about your groundbreaking research.

I have to leave you here Chris, you're behaving like a child.
Peace.
by Roger M.
November 24th, 2017, 3:43 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

That from somebody who has contributed zero research to the Erdnase investigation. Give me a break! I've certainly done enough research to determine when somebody is offering up nothing but smoke and mirrors Chris, as you do on a continuous basis! Indeed, I can (and will) continue to utilize my ext...
by Roger M.
November 24th, 2017, 3:05 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Chris, I feel I should clarify that I believe what you've discovered and/or proposed is interesting , but not convincing . Erdnase was indeed a writer, and a very good one ... however so were probably 100,000+ other people in the United States between 1900 and 1910. (out of 76 million U.S. citizens ...
by Roger M.
November 24th, 2017, 1:24 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

- documentary proof of contact with McKinney - proven author/writing history (editorials, books, booklets, course material) - proven self-publishing and copyright activity - proven writing ability on par with Erdnase (look at vocabulary richness for example) - proven interest in cards, gambling and...
by Roger M.
November 24th, 2017, 12:40 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Important to note that Chris doesn't have any other convincing facts linking Gallaway to Erdnase beyond Gallaway owning a copy of EATCT, which makes Bill's post all that much more relevant. Bill's irreverent "Houdini must be Erdnase" linkage is, in fact - exactly what Chris does repeatedly...
by Roger M.
November 22nd, 2017, 6:45 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

In Chris's latest newsletter, he doubles down on his claim that he has found Erdnase, and (as suspected) he has drawn a line between Gallaway, Edwards, and Erdnase ... claiming that they're all the same person. I won't go into details, you can read Chris's newsletter on his website if you're registe...
by Roger M.
November 15th, 2017, 10:48 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

As relates to Eugene Edwards book Jackpots - on October 25th, on his blog (which you should definitely be reading) - Tom Sawyer has already noted that the writing of Eugene Edwards reads an awful lot like Erdnase. As for being an "expert", I strongly agree with Jacks observation above, wit...
by Roger M.
November 14th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

On Sept 8th in this thread: http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49999&p=337773#p337773, Our host, Richard K. posted this note: "There is a new candidate, and a book is in the works about him. He's an interesting choice, but other than that I must remain mum." Any u...
by Roger M.
November 12th, 2017, 1:26 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

..... Let's give a short run down and see why Gallaway's case is so compelling. I read, and then re-read your post, and beyond you stating that you felt the contents of your post were "compelling", I found there was nothing at all compelling about anything you presented. So go most of you...
by Roger M.
November 11th, 2017, 10:01 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

...... but we already know he held cards. We don't know anything of the sort! What evidence can you present that puts a deck of cards in Gallaway's hands ? PLEASE ..... be precise. Since pretty much everybody played cards one way or another during the 19th century, essentially everybody had a deck ...
by Roger M.
November 11th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

S. Tauzier wrote:...... but we already know he held cards.


We don't know anything of the sort!

What evidence can you present that puts a deck of cards in Gallaway's hands?

PLEASE ..... be precise.
by Roger M.
November 11th, 2017, 12:12 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

S. Tauzier wrote:The tired issue of trying to put a deck of cards in his hands- that is an invalid argument.

It's not at all invalid, but it's certainly Chris's argument!
Indeed many (if not all) of your points are Chris's points!

Interesting.
by Roger M.
November 10th, 2017, 8:52 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Chris has achieved the commendable undertaking of introducing a "new" candidate, and has had most of the regular posters to this thread accept this new candidate (Gallaway) as to be taken seriously as an addition to the somewhat short list of long established candidates. Like I said a few...
by Roger M.
November 10th, 2017, 8:01 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

I think that Chris has provided more evidence, if only circumstantial that Gallaway is Erdnase. But that's more evidence than most, so yes, Gallaway is a viable candidate. Well Chris has presented exactly zero evidence that Gallaway is Erdnase ... but exactly what evidence did Chris present that co...
by Roger M.
November 10th, 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Viable = "feasible". I don't believe MFA is feasible simply because the man wrote like an idiot, and no amount of "editing" could fix his incredibly poor grasp of the English language. I also don't believe Gallaway is feasible, because as much as he was at the scene of the crime,...
by Roger M.
November 10th, 2017, 4:42 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

As I was one of those folks you quoted Chris, I'll just note that on an internet forum, the ultimate point is to engage in enjoyable conversation with other participants in the forum ... which is exactly was trying to do with you. In the end though, trying to have a decent conversation with you was ...
by Roger M.
November 10th, 2017, 12:13 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Is there anyone besides Chris who thinks Gallaway is a viable candidate? Looking back through the thread ... not a single poster has supported Chris's conclusion as it relates to Gallaway. Gallaway as a viable candidate for Erdnase entered the realm of beating a dead horse many months ago. Of cours...
by Roger M.
November 7th, 2017, 10:38 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Re Dalrymple, we can go on the noses alone. They are spot on, except for Sanders. This. One thing artists with Dalrymple's talent don't do is screw up the noses of folks they draw. In this case, the hooked nose is very obviously supposed to be a hooked nose . Despite the potentially racially charge...
by Roger M.
November 6th, 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Looks like this Erdnase kickstarter campaign will meet its goal. Thoughts? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/110191763/the-expert-at-the-card-table-with-photographs-from This is exactly what David Ben and Julie Eng have already done to perfection with The Experts at the Card Table . I'm not sure...
by Roger M.
November 4th, 2017, 3:24 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Dalrymple makes it very clear to the viewer that:

    If the character has a name - it's a person.
    If the character doesn't have a name - it's not a person, it's a "thing" or a "situation".

Such a practice is still extremely common in political cartoons in 2017.
by Roger M.
October 30th, 2017, 6:46 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

It's a terribly obvious thing to say (and I almost feel guilty for saying it), but as his name wasn't Erdnase, he didn't really name anything at all after himself. It does make one wonder what on earth he was planning to do with his chosen pseudonym "Erdnase" though? In his use of that nam...
by Roger M.
October 27th, 2017, 8:57 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

I'm not a young man Chris, and I've seen lots of typesetters hands. Back in the day when government documents were printed daily when government was in session, and long before the advent of desktop printing. I worked in government, and the hands of the guys I saw at the "Queens Printer" w...
by Roger M.
October 27th, 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

.....Indeed they'd be chewed to bits from non-stop handling of sharp metal pieces.
by Roger M.
October 24th, 2017, 6:45 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

I see plenty of time and opportunity for him to hone his skills, practice as well as play. I think a point to consider might be, that nobody else does - and if they did, they'd post their support saying so to this thread (which nobody has done to date). Not having any sort of consensus on this spec...
by Roger M.
October 24th, 2017, 10:27 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

lybrary wrote: ...or a statistical analysis like stylometry, has had several successes in the past, such as the Unabomber case...

lybrary wrote:In the Unabomber case stylometry was not used.


These quotes of yours say two very different things Chris, making it hard to hold a conversation.
by Roger M.
October 24th, 2017, 1:39 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Pretty sure too that the Unabombers brother David actually deduced it was his brother who was the Unabomber simply by recognizing Ted's writing style, which I don't believe is stylometry, just a brother recognizing how his own brother writes and talks. The stylometric analysis was done after David t...
by Roger M.
October 23rd, 2017, 10:09 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Yes, those are the same, small, group of successful undertakings we always read about when the subject of linguistic analysis comes up. Same 5 or 6 books, same 5 or 6 authors, same 5 or 6 discoveries. I will certainly give you that these limited examples do point to the potential for success. Such i...
by Roger M.
October 23rd, 2017, 8:59 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

And how do you know how it was historically pronounced? Because Dai Vernon, whose experience with the book went back to when he was 12 (1906), pronounced it "Urd-nace". Is that the generally accepted pronunciation? I've always heard & said Urdnaze. (Pretty small sample size though.) I...
by Roger M.
October 23rd, 2017, 8:54 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

I am talking about evidence we already have secured, not evidence we may find someday. Absent of a 'smoking gun' the linguistic 'fingerprint' Erdnase has left behind is the only evidence data-rich enough to allow an identification. Linguistic analysis seems to be a very nascent form of scientific a...
by Roger M.
October 23rd, 2017, 7:05 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Either way, it is the only evidence of Erdnase detailed and rich enough that it could possibly allow an identification of the author. This is not accurate - in that a bookplate, or any other form of identification written by the author, in his own hand on the title page (or elsewhere - marginalia p...
by Roger M.
October 21st, 2017, 12:51 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

I was not arguing that Erdnase had been a miner or a lumberjack. The mining and tree cutting would come after the cheating, not before. Yes Bill, Erdnase was so desperate to become a lumberjack that he couldn't wait to stop being a cardshark, write his book to get it out of the way, and then dedica...
by Roger M.
October 20th, 2017, 7:21 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

. Just printing a copyright statement isn't a particularly good bluff. Having it registered, something that could be looked up in copyright registration books in most larger libraries, is much safer. (my bold) This really doesn't comport with a guy trying (according to you) to remain anonymous. If ...
by Roger M.
October 20th, 2017, 6:35 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

Erdnase didn't have a comprehensive plan to completely conceal his identity, otherwise the book would have said "Anonymous" on the spine. Writing "Anonymous" would have invited much more inquiry much earlier. This is not accurate. Being an anonymous author invited no more scruti...
by Roger M.
October 20th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898471

Re: ERDNASE

With the limited information we have about Erdnase's cheque payment to Smith, I agree that it's more likely than not that the cheque wasn't personalized. A couple of years ago, when wondering about the cheque Erdnase wrote out to Smith, I did a bit of research and discovered that personalized cheque...

Go to advanced search