Search found 4494 matches

by Bill Mullins
December 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

The preferred spelling, as borne out by your research, is pinochle. For the purposes of his Hoyle book, Foster preferred "binocle". But his references included two books I haven't seen, that muddy the waters about any conclusions that one might make regarding Foster's preferences: Foster'...
by Bill Mullins
December 9th, 2017, 11:57 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

On p. 75 of most editions, Erdnase lists several games in which his method of stocking can be applied. One of them is "Penuckle", which is a non-standard way of spelling "pinochle". The OED says about the game: "A card game for two or more players, played with a pack of fort...
by Bill Mullins
December 5th, 2017, 2:18 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

So you've changed your opinion from "A person can't write well unless he's written a lot before" to "A person can't write well unless he's written or edited a lot before" to "A person can't write well unless he's written or edited or read a lot before." Once upon a time...
by Bill Mullins
December 5th, 2017, 2:07 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

jkeyes1000 wrote:I consider myself an Idea Man
by Bill Mullins
December 5th, 2017, 1:25 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

I am not the only one to note that the high quality of Erdnase's writing requires practice. You don't just wake up one day and write like Erdnase. You need a good amount of writing experience to achieve that level. If you looked at John Grisham at the end of 1989 believing the above, you'd have to ...
by Bill Mullins
December 5th, 2017, 12:08 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

But if you add it to the magic and gambling books Gallaway had in his library it supports the notion that he was interested in that subject. Chris--are you trying to sneak that by again? There is no evidence that Gallaway owned more than one magic book-- The Expert. The statement - "Edward Gal...
by Bill Mullins
December 4th, 2017, 11:51 pm
Forum: Magic History and Anecdotes
Topic: Jacob Philadelphia's book
Replies: 17
Views: 3019

Re: Jacob Philadelphia's book

Guest wrote:You're welcome, Oleg.

There is some biographical material on Philadelphia in another journal of Jewish culture and history, but I can't recall the title right now. This journal was published in the early 1900s.


Probably this.
by Bill Mullins
December 4th, 2017, 5:54 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

So you've changed your opinion from "A person can't write well unless he's written a lot before" to "A person can't write well unless he's written or edited a lot before."
by Bill Mullins
December 4th, 2017, 5:48 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love (1973) “It’s not enough to be able to lie with a straight face; anybody with enough gall to raise on a busted flush can do that. The first way to lie artistically is to tell the truth — but not all of it. The second way involves telling the truth, too, but is ha...
by Bill Mullins
December 4th, 2017, 12:54 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Take MFA who was a cardshark, who clearly did not want to be associated with being one, because he used several aliases, but he traveled with literature on card sharping which was found in his steamer trunks. Not only did MFA have such books he traveled with them. Do you have any evidence of this o...
by Bill Mullins
December 4th, 2017, 12:17 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

lybrary wrote:Edward Gallaway did not have a testament or last will.


How do you know this?
by Bill Mullins
December 3rd, 2017, 12:13 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

The copyright application is in care of James McKinney, but doesn't say that he is a printer or that the address, 73 Plymouth, is his business address. But the published register of copyrighted works says "Chicago, J. McKinney & co., printers". I wonder how the copyright office came to...
by Bill Mullins
December 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

For Leonard, and everyone else who didn't get the book, here is what Olsson examined. Edward Gallaway: Estimating for Printing (1927) William Hilliar: The Modern Magician’s Handbook (1902) August Roterberg: New Era Card Tricks (1897) Wilbur E. Sanders: The framing of rectangular shaft sets (1904) an...
by Bill Mullins
December 2nd, 2017, 4:56 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

how would his being identified in his life time be relevant? if we establish he didn't want to be identified then that suggests he would take certain steps to prevent it. Perhaps you didn't follow my drift. Here it is again spelled out for you. Erdnase did not want to associate himself with gamblin...
by Bill Mullins
December 2nd, 2017, 2:40 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

And if you look at the actual report, he excluded Hilliar and Sanders for reasons other than dissimilarity of language. That is completely false. He only excluded them for the comparison of the Charlier Pass. . . . All other tests and comparisons included Sanders and included Hilliar, and thus his ...
by Bill Mullins
December 1st, 2017, 12:06 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

and comedy magic is only one branch of magic and even then good comedy has a premise which holds the punchline in place. you can't have a punch line without a clear set up, Like Johnny Carson would say, "If they buy the premise, they buy the bit." again, how many magicians have managed to...
by Bill Mullins
December 1st, 2017, 2:20 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Alas, we know so little about Erdnase that it’s very difficult to propose candidates who are known authors. On one hand you critique that only 5 candidates were studied by Olsson, on the other you can't suggest a single one which should have been included. Do you understand that your critique was s...
by Bill Mullins
November 30th, 2017, 2:00 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

Brad Henderson wrote:i'm reminded of a bob reed joke here.


Which was . . . ?

(Cause Bob Read was actually, you know, funny.)
by Bill Mullins
November 30th, 2017, 12:02 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Three days ago, I suggested some of the copyright paperwork for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz looks like it may have been filled out by Jamieson. I just noticed that in the associated correspondence from the Wizard's author, L. Frank Baum, his address was 356 Dearborn -- the same address Drake was oper...
by Bill Mullins
November 29th, 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Per your logic a candidate about whom we know nothing is just as good as any other candidate in the pool. No, because a candidate we know nothing about would never be a candidate in the first place. You've got to have some knowledge about them that associates them with the possibility of being Erdn...
by Bill Mullins
November 29th, 2017, 3:15 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Chris -- again, so what? Most here had already agreed that sleight of hand with playing cards, that some contact with McKinney, that the ability to write, were all important characteristics that Erdnase would have been required to have. An estimate of how many people had those characteristics doesn...
by Bill Mullins
November 28th, 2017, 5:35 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

I just read this quote from Mason Williams, a musician and writer from the Smothers Brothers show of 50 years ago: "Art is the lie that makes us see the truth. " I believe that was also said by Picasso - who Keyes says he does not respect, him being a mere "portrait painter" and...
by Bill Mullins
November 28th, 2017, 5:06 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Chris -- again, so what? Most here had already agreed that sleight of hand with playing cards, that some contact with McKinney, that the ability to write, were all important characteristics that Erdnase would have been required to have. An estimate of how many people had those characteristics doesn'...
by Bill Mullins
November 28th, 2017, 12:10 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

But to what end? Suppose we have a bunch of numbers. What do you do with them? Are you trying to calculate the probability that Gallaway was Erdnase? Probabilities are useful for examining random processes, and whether or not Gallaway (or Sanders, or Andrews) was Erdnase isn't the outcome of a rando...
by Bill Mullins
November 28th, 2017, 11:59 am
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

I just read this quotefrom Mason Williams, a musician and writer from the Smothers Brothers show of 50 years ago: "Art is the lie that makes us see the truth. "
by Bill Mullins
November 28th, 2017, 1:14 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Thomas Sawyer recently posted some thoughts on the relative strengths of the various candidates for Erdnase, and how to measure that. Normally, when a discussion occurs on his blog, I'd respond over there. But I'm going to post here in this case. The reason is that sometimes Tom takes posts, discuss...
by Bill Mullins
November 28th, 2017, 12:50 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

One text? The Expert? Surely even you would agree that a well rounded magician would have more than just one magic book in his library. How many magic books did E.S. Andrews and W.E. Sanders have in their library? Irrelevant, since no one is building a case for Andrews or Sanders based on their mag...
by Bill Mullins
November 27th, 2017, 12:28 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

For the past two years, much of the traffic on this thread has been driven by Chris contending that Gallaway was Erdnase, and every other sentient being who cares going, eh, not so much. If you find this interesting (in any sense of the word -- something worth thinking about, or like a traffic wreck...
by Bill Mullins
November 26th, 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard -- In other words, Chris still has no evidence that Gallaway performed magic as part of his circus career. But you knew that, didn't you.
by Bill Mullins
November 26th, 2017, 12:46 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

The King Kalalaua story on p. 329 was originally from the Chicago Tribune.
by Bill Mullins
November 26th, 2017, 12:24 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

The information about the Alabama Central Railway and Lanier and Selma is legit. Bill you should make up your mind. First you say the author doesn't know Alabama well enough to have lived there, because he gets the first name of Pettus wrong, and now you are saying he is legit. The author of this s...
by Bill Mullins
November 26th, 2017, 1:26 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Ike Morgan was a friend of L. Frank Baum and W. W. Denslow, who respectively wrote and illustrated the original Wizard of Oz . Morgan went on to illustrate a later Oz book, The Woggle-Bug Book. Another unusual connection from Jamieson-Higgins to Oz is that some of the original copyright paperwork fo...
by Bill Mullins
November 26th, 2017, 1:17 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

I find it very plausible that . . . To me, "plausible" means that "I don't know anything that disproves this." You seem to use it as if the idea in question tends to support whatever thesis you are trying to prove. Still no reference for . . . Augustus. Here 'tis . If I had a gr...
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 11:34 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Your boy Eugene has compiled a bunch of poker stories that others wrote, and put them together in a book. Where did he take the names and stories involving . . . Rev. Lettus Hitemhard from? Here or maybe here . And have you considered that Eugene Edwards/Edward Gallaway may have written these stori...
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 6:12 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Who would know the name of a senator down to the second initial, but somebody who actually lived in Alabama during the time the senator was in office (1897-1907)? Anyone who could read a newspaper . Edwards is retelling someone else's tale here, as well, even to misnaming the Senator. He had no per...
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 6:06 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

jkeyes1000 wrote: I would neve accuse Tony Slydini of lying.


Have you ever seen Flight of the Paper Balls? He lies in it. Brilliantly.
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 10:54 am
Forum: General
Topic: Ennobling Magic
Replies: 412
Views: 9657

Re: Ennobling Magic

Hidden in Tom's post is a point that should not be missed:. The more Pickwickian your performance, the better.
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 1:02 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Tom Sawyer's most recent post on his blog makes the strong case that Eugene Edwards (author of Jack Pots) was, if not a plagiarist, certainly a borrower of the language of other people's writings. If that is so, then it would seem to be a great mark against Gallaway being Erdnase if you make the cas...
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 12:42 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 5418
Views: 1898157

Re: ERDNASE

Odd to be called out for "ignoring facts" by the person who ignores the fact that there is no evidence that shows Gallaway had any skill with cards whatsoever; or that there is no evidence of anyone every having used "Erdnase" as a German-language nickname until a century after E...
by Bill Mullins
November 25th, 2017, 12:20 am
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Geoff Williams Aronson Stack Workshop
Replies: 8
Views: 519

Re: Geoff Williams Aronson Stack Workshop

Yes (although, strictly speaking, it isn't a "Dummies" book beyond the fact that the cover design borrows heavily from the "For Dummies" series of books).

Amazon seems only to offer the book in paper format, but you can get it as a PDF on CD directly from Geoff.

Go to advanced search